Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

String Review

Edendude

Just thought I'd put in my two cents worth on the Elixir Nanowebs...

These strings cost double the money that the D'Addario XLs I uasully string my Spector with do. But I'd thought I'd try them, because I do seem to have the kind of perspiration that's more caustic than most people's.

So now I've had the Elixir Nanowebs on my bass for six months or so, and I can say they do exactly what they advertize them as doing. They do last a long time. They still sound quite bright and brand new, after six months of gigging two or three times per month, and recording an entire album's worth of bed tracks in the studio.

So why am I changing them out?

It's because the Nanoweb coating is peeling off, and although it does not have any effect on tone or playability, the peeling coating is very uninviting aesthetically. I need my bass to beg me to play it when I look down at the strings.

So it might seem anal, but I just bought a new set of D'Addario XLs to re-string my bass this afternoon. Back to the tried and true.

FYI

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Naw.... thats not anal.... strings are truly a "personal taste" thing... as you know from all the "what strings are the best, should I get etc...." we all have our preferred strings....you're playin' on 'em... if it works for you.... kewl :thu:

Rock on...

Keeeripes! 6 monthes would be a total record for me. If they last that long my hat's off to them.

I used D'Addario for years but was constantly breaking 'em. How long do a set of the XL's last ya?

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Hey I say that' a pretty good run. If you liked them it was worth the cabbage, even if you paid a little extra. The only pair of elixers I had were a freebie. They weren't for me but hey that's me.
If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I can ony imagine what 6month old strings look like...let along peeling 6month old string.

I'll stick with my high beams and once every 8 weeks thankyouverymuch.

jason "this thread kinda reminds me of the thread that drew me to the LDLD in the first place" atkins

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

Originally posted by Gospel StreisandInConcert string:

I'll stick with my high beams and once every 8 weeks thankyouverymuch.

You change em every 8 weeks? Damn ... I had mine on for over a year now and have only replaced the G string ( :D ) because I broke it ... Have boiled them once though, but I'm not a fan of that sort of stuff ...

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I love my D'Addario Slowounds. Killer sound, and they last a long time, I've had them on for about half a year, and they still sound great. Although I did break the D-string the other day, but I have some spares lying around.

I tried Elixirs once (plus my bass came equipped with them). Great strings soundwise (yadda-yadda), but I think I broke the whole set! Almost, at least. I even broke the B-string. Went straight back to regular strings

My gear:

Ibanez SR3005ESOL

Korg DTR-2000

Mesa/Boogie Basis M-2000 (For sale)

Mesa/Boogie Powerhouse 1000 (For sale)

I have been using Ken Smith Stainless Rock Masters because I RAWK! Seriously though I have been using them for about one month and I really like the tone. The tone is bright but, if don't want bright I can always eq it out depending on the song.

Originally posted by WCunha:

I have been using Ken Smith Stainless Rock Masters because I RAWK! Seriously though I have been using them for about one month and I really like the tone. The tone is bright but, if don't want bright I can always eq it out depending on the song.

They are very well made, but a little pricey for me.

I tried the Elixer's too. I didn't like the flaking, and they didn't sound too bright when new, although, the tone never changed in the time I had them on.

I stick with D'Addario XL's; inexpensive, and bright. Also, I'm one of the fortunate ones who does not have terribly acidic sweat, and my hands don't sweat that much either.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Still havent tried elixirs, my favorite strings so far are dean markley blue steels but since i'm still experimenting with strings i've changed out the blue steels for ernie ball slinkys. The slinkys are good but to me they're nothing compared to those blue steels, i think slinkys would be a good set to have in my case as spares. Based on what i've heard here i really want to try DR hi-beams, i think i might order some, or maybe bootzillas. Also thinking about trying some color coated strings like DR black beauties or red devils, im thinking about this alot now because the slinkys are starting to "die" and my mom would kill me if i boiled them in one of her pots :eek: . I was thinking about elixirs but its a hefty price to pay for strings that peel :P maybe i'll try them one day.

peace

What's the deal with everyone breaking strings? I've only busted 1 on the bass and that was out of my own stupidity. It doesn't matter what brand or which bass. I usually give them a pretty good workout too. Standard tuning, heavy gauge... But I don't slap or pop, Is that the difference?

Where are they breaking? Bridge, tuning pegs, middle?

How were you playing at the time?

Yep...

I am yet to break a string on a bass guitar, either.

And a regular set of strings like the 105/85/70/50 D'Addario XLs will last me between 4 and 6 months no problem at all. I wipe them down throughly after every set, so maybe that helps.

If I didn't mind putting up with the flaking coating on the Elixirs, I could probably get 9 or 10 months out of a set of those.

When I played strictly as a guitar player in bands, I would change my strings every gig.

I don't understand this string breakage thing either. Fatigue wear caused my factory gstring to pop, then i lost another due to the same reason...but i could never imagine popping a string thicker than 45 gauge.

That's the main reason...i change strings as often as i do b/c i like the sound of a new set and i'd also hate to lose a gstring while playing somewhere.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

The Elixir polyweb strings left me with shreds of teflon everywhere.

I have the nanoweb strings on one bass and it hasn't happened to them yet, I've got my fingers crossed. (having one's fingers crossed also helps keep the strings from wearing out.)

I've broken two strings in 38 years.

My favorite strings are DR highbeams, 45-105, I have them on three of my basses.

I've used Elixirs on two of my basses, and I really like them - The not-too-bright tone and slick feel of the string suit my tastes nicely. The only real drawback (besides the price) is that certain sets are damn near impossible to get. I have to use the extra long set on my 6, and getting such a set has proven to be harder than finding any frequencies below 20kHz in fIeLdY's sound...

After realizing that the local music store wouldn't be of any help, and being ignored by the Finnish importer, I corresponded with the Scandinavian office of Elixir and they promised to set the record straight (the Finnish importer just had some "normal" sets in their selection) but after about 6 months of trying in vain I'm more than ready to give up and start shoveling my dough into some other string winder's cash register. One could say in jest that the reason why Elixirs last so long is because it's just too damn hard to find anything to replace them with :P .

I ordered a set of EBS Northern Lights for my 5er (I have them on my 4, quite nice, totally different from the Elixirs), I'll have to do some research to see which strings would fit on the 6 - luckily for me the Elixirs are still going strong on the 6.

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

What's the deal with everyone breaking strings? I've only busted 1 on the bass and that was out of my own stupidity. It doesn't matter what brand or which bass. I usually give them a pretty good workout too. Standard tuning, heavy gauge... But I don't slap or pop, Is that the difference?
Man! Have we done a couple threads on this or what? :D

Style of play is my excuse. I'm a rock bassist. I play very hard to begin with and I find that different pressures produce different voices. Since I switched to heavy guage stainless I will break a string about every 6 hours which is way down from one, two or three a gig. In my honest country opinion, the versatility is worth breaking a string or two.

Originally posted by Edendude:

Just thought I'd put in my two cents worth on the Elixir Nanowebs...

These strings cost double the money that the D'Addario XLs I uasully string my Spector with do.

So you put the same strings that you've been using on your bass, just with the coating on them. Elixer strings are just D'Addario XLs that they put their fancy-schmancy Gore coating on. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle... GI JOOOOOOOOOOOE.. (sorry)

I like Elixer strings a great deal. I've been using them for a very long time now and they last a good long while. I can get 3-4 months out of a set of Elixer strings, which is far better than 3-4 weeks out of non-coated strings. I do actually like the DR Bootzilla's better, but BassNW stopped stocking them; so I need to get off my ass and order a bunch of them online. Yaaaaaaaabadabadooozaa babah!!!

That's cool, Bump...

I can get two sets of the XLs for the price of one set of Elixirs. I'll get the same mileage or more out of those two sets, as I would one set of Elixirs. And I won't have to put up with the peeling Nanoweb crap that I hated so much.

Works for me.

But If I had to change strings more often, like you say you do, the Elixirs would be the way to go for sure. They sound great and last longer as advertized.

P.S...

I'm curious...

Do most of you wipe your strings down after every set, like I do?

Yep! I will, without fail wipe down my entire bass, starting with the fretboard and strings, before it goes in the case.

Yep, wipe down the stings and neck down every time.

I think my free set of Elixers led me to flats. Even though I didn't keep with the Elixers, a big THANKS on pushing me to flats.

Once again, I still don't get the breaking strings thing. I pound on mine pretty hard too (no popping though). At least half of the time I play without being plugged into anything because inspiration hits at odd times. As you know, this makes you hit 'em even harder in order to hear what you're playing. A good way to build hand strenth as well.

Is the breaking due to burrs on the bridge and fretts or stress at the pegs?

Originally posted by butcherNburn:

Yep, wipe down the stings and neck down every time.

I think my free set of Elixers led me to flats. Even though I didn't keep with the Elixers, a big THANKS on pushing me to flats.

Once again, I still don't get the breaking strings thing. I pound on mine pretty hard too (no popping though). At least half of the time I play without being plugged into anything because inspiration hits at odd times. As you know, this makes you hit 'em even harder in order to hear what you're playing. A good way to build hand strenth as well.

Is the breaking due to burrs on the bridge and fretts or stress at the pegs?

I have an old hondo bass with an E-tuner that constantly breaks the string. I have personally broken two E strings on it, I loaned it to a friend, he restrung it but broke the E string, and my friend just broke an E string on it trying to tune it.

My Squire on the other hand, I beat the crap out of it but never break a string. Short of the E-tuner on my Hondo, i've never broken a string before they wear out. I don't get it either.

I have elixirs on my Ibanez 4-string (SR 700). Never seen any peeling coming off. I play fingers only. One of the things I allways liked about elixirs is that they are a softer on the fingertips. Now I have put Rotosounds (swingbass) on the 5-string that I bought recently (Ibanez SR 705). For old times' sake, and out of curiosity. I've come to like the roughness on the fingertips. I prefer the sound of the 5-string, but I think it's the wood; the basses are made out of the same woods, but the 5-sting is heavier, mostly because of the thicker arm I suppose; the 5-string sounds better even without amplification; the resonation of the body on my body feels very different. The pu's are different too, P-J vs. soapbars, so it's hard to tell the soundwise difference between the strings.

Never broke a string. Except when my 5-year old son had turned my D way up behind my back. It snapped the moment I touched the tuning key.

Originally posted by PickPunk:

Bump, do the bootzillas peel like elixirs?

peace

No, but when you first put them on, you'll notice little flakes of the coating on your bass after you play. No big deal. Just wipe them off. I only noticed them after my first gig with the strings on.

The coating on the Bootzilla strings is similar to the Elixer coating; but it is most definitely a different feel/application of the stuff. The Bootzilla's don't feel quite as "slippery" as the Elixer's do.

Archived