Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Standard tuning for a ukelele?

Gruuve

Hey folks:

My 2 yr old daughter :idea: I saw them before she did, but it didn't take long..."Loooook...guitawa! Want it! Want it!". So, needless to say, we came home with a kid's ukelele. ;) It's even four-strings...pre-bass training? :thu:

Anyway, does anyone know what the correct tuning on a ukelele is? I don't know if this is correct, but the top string is thin, the two middle are thicker, and the bottom string is thin. It seems to be some strange tuning based on major 3rd's...assuming it's not completely off?

TIA!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, GCEA, and not in consecutive order, unlike most instruments. Weird like a 5-string banjo, sorta. I ended up mandolin-tuning a uke to deal with it better. Not as good for performing UKE music when it's that way, but much better at doing music in general.

Yep, the intervals on a uke are the same as the treble strings of a guitar (strings 1-4) even though the fourth string is an octave up.

This means that guitar chords work on the uke, if you can use the bottom chords. Really useful to someone who will someday play guitar.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Depending on the Ukelele they can be tuned differently. The tuning everyone has given you is for a tenor. I know baritones are tuned diffently, and I'm not sure on soprano, which is probably what you have. They are the most common. You should do a web search just to be certain. Have fun Ukes rule. :thu:

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

Archived