Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - In what places have you found lowdown?

ATM

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Post of the Day to Matt W. for his random reference to "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."

I guess it wasn't so random. And MR. ATM, Ford Prefect, you've set yourself up hilariously for receiving "42" as an answer to any question you might ask.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Originally posted by Dave Brown:

Post of the Day to Matt W. for his random reference to "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."

I'm contesting that!! While Matt's reference was excellent, it was posted at 12:30 forum time, whereas my "mostly harmless" remark (on the "how dedicated?" thread) was posted at 11:02. That makes the title mine, by rights!

Because, you know, this stuff is, like, real important & stuff. ;)

To answer the question...I heard a very wicked bass groove the other day on NPR, one of those little things they play in between segments on "All Things Considered." And I'm frequently impressed with some of the bass lines I hear on some TV commercials. There was a furniture store commercial playing in this area (for Haverty's) a while back that had an absolutely killer bass groove.

And just this afternoon, right outside my window, a student 4-piece band was playing jazz, and they sounded just awesome--bass player (a diminutive Asian gal, fwiw) was smokin'.

I need to practice. :D

Originally posted by Torgo's Knees:

Originally posted by Dave Brown:

I'm contesting that!! While Matt's reference was excellent, it was posted at 12:30 forum time, whereas my "mostly harmless" remark (on the "how dedicated?" thread) was posted at 11:02. That makes the title mine, by rights!

Because, you know, this stuff is, like, real important & stuff. ;)

Wowsers, sorry I missed that. Belated POTD to you to, Knee.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

I find it interesting the different places (outside normal musical medium) you find striking bass lines.

Examples:

Opening theme on "Jeeves and Wooster"

Short theme from the video game, "HALO"

Any others?

ATM

Damn, that's one hell of a video game soundtrack, i soooo wanna buy the Halo Original score.

where did u get that MP3?

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

What, No mention of the theme to "Barney Miller"? It took me a long time to remember where that line was from. It rang in my head for years before they started running it again. When I look back, it was a difinitive point in me being chosen by bass years later.
If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I find it in my head whenever music is playing (whether there is a bass part or not).

In the low hum of large machinery.

And watching cartoons - that Bugs one where he keeps making music outside the home of a rehearsing opera singer (Giovanni Jones). At one point he plays the head on the tuba....

And I did not get any of the previous references, so I'll leave it to my brother-moderator and Post-Of_The_Day person DBB to award as he sees fit. The decision of the mod is final.

Tom

Special thanks to ATM for asking where we find "lowdown" and not "bass". Between Matt and Willie, the posts would get fishy.

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I used find a lot of it at a former job (11-16 years ago). It was at a small printing company where I spent a great deal of time running a folding machine. It was very loud and the DAT-DAT-DAT varied by the length and type of paper, and style of fold. You had to keep a steady ear on the machine, noticing either a slight or massive (1 or the other) sound change to see if it was running properly. That and a differnt machine, a letterpress that was converted to electric in the 20's, it had a great BOOM-TISS-Errm-ClicK- at times. I wrote a lot of songs in those days (it was during that time I stepped up and bought my first bass). It helped that the work environment was pretty bad (mentally) and I am at my most creative then. I also used to sing quite a bit in those days, just to keep my head, often going through entire albums off the top of my head. My atrocious (sp?) voice didn't matter because no one could hear me.
If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Been doing a fair amount of hiking. The pumping of the heart pulsing more blood through the head - and the steady pace of legs and feet... I get a lot of tunes going. Typical hikes are 12-16 miles with a few thousand feet of elevation change. The sceneery is magnif, the weather dramatic.

The tunes sometimes plod, sometimes soar ; }

seinfeld stuff is some faker on a keyboard. DON'T BE FOOLED. For a little bit i was like wow, but i once saw this "seinfeld behind the scenes" thing and there was definitely some guy on a keyboard doing all of that.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

Archived