Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

headphone amp advice???

bassopotamus

Im about to leave on a deployment, and my jazz bass will be alone in serving my bass needs.

While I have no problems playing this bass without amplification, I have been considering investing in a nice headphone amp.

Funds are tight, any suggestions?

Thanks!

James Fitzgerald

Platinum Member,

Human Race

"I dont buy toys. I buy tools."

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
beg. borrow, or steal about $70 and get a Pandora PX3B off of ebay. It's the best thing you can do in this situation.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

yeah, the pandora's are the sort of thing ive been looking at. problem is i leave next week.

anything new that costs about the same?

James Fitzgerald

Platinum Member,

Human Race

that thing is huge!

at least it looks huge...

I found a pandora on ebay that is ending soon. its at $30, not bad. I just may keep an eye on this auction.

thanks guys

:thu:

James Fitzgerald

Platinum Member,

Human Race

The Pandora PX3 is a great piece of kit - but one warning if you are on deployment. It burns up batteries at a rate of knots. I get maybe 9-12 hours out of a set.

I bought a multi-voltage adaptor and plug it into the mains.

You also need to have headphones with the larger (1/4in??) jack, not the tiny 'PC soundcard' size. Or an adapter for them.

And if you get a 'tiny jack to tiny jack' cable you can feed from the headphones socket of a CD/MP3 player, blend it with the output from your bass and play along with whoever you like!

Cheers

Graham

www.talkingstrawberries.com - for rocking' blues, raw and fresh!

Originally posted by Graham56:

The Pandora PX3 is a great piece of kit - but one warning if you are on deployment. It burns up batteries at a rate of knots. I get maybe 9-12 hours out of a set.

I bought a multi-voltage adaptor and plug it into the mains.

You also need to have headphones with the larger (1/4in??) jack, not the tiny 'PC soundcard' size. Or an adapter for them.

And if you get a 'tiny jack to tiny jack' cable you can feed from the headphones socket of a CD/MP3 player, blend it with the output from your bass and play along with whoever you like!

Cheers

Graham

I also use mine to record Drum-n-bass, play it out of the PC into the CD input, and record a lead part over the top back into the PC. A kind of a cheap twoo channell mixer. Having the 50 drum patterns to play along with is a joy and the sampler is great for slowing down and figuring out tough spots on some songs.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Funny that you should ask this. I went out looking for one last weekend and came up with this:

http://www.samsontech.com/images/productimages/506_ii.gif

It's the Zoom 506II multi-effects pedal. Now even though it's an effects pedal, it's got a headphone output as well as a built in tuner and clean sounds. I checked it out and it works pretty well and sounds good. You can also run it on AA batteries or get the AC adaptor for it. The price? All of $59.99. That being said, I took it home with me.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I have that Pandora as well...love the damn thing. I burn out batteries in one setting.

Problem is, I paid almost $200 for it. And now, it sits in my case and I use it as a tuner. And it's really too fragile for stage use.

Still, it is the most compact of the multi-effect units. You could put it in a shirt pocket. My second choice would be the Zoom, which is sturdier on stage, but twice the size and I don't think the sounds are as good.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Archived