Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anthony Jackson and Meyre Sound

sricabla

I recently saw Anthony Jackson in NYC and he was playing thru 1

USW-1P (2x15") and 1

USW-IP(1X12" and horn) thru some type of preamp.Both these cabinets are powered and very, very expensive. The sound was fantastic that night. Anybody using them?

I would like to hear comments on them

Thanks in advance

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe you intended to write "Meyer" cabinets.

I have used these cabinets live. They are rather impressive.

Check out Meyer Sound at www.meyersound.com .

I think the bass player from Dave Matthews has used custom Meyer cabinets in the past. I'm sure other players have as well, but that's the only example I can think of off the top of my head.

some guy at talkbass recently bought the same rig. the list price is over $10k for the 1x12, the 2x15, and a couple other pieces of gear.

meyer is pretty much the most technically impressive name in live sound reproduction. they actually bother to make subs that go below 35Hz.

robb.

Meyer has the rep. But plenty of other companies can keep up with them nowdays in various categories that interest touring companies. Meyer prices depend on that rep and a captive market.

EDIT: Actually I've linked a number of competitive top cabs and subwoofers from Eastern Acoustic Works, Yorkville, Coda Audio, Mackie, Carvin, and even Peavey, that only a rich guy with money to throw away would turn away from if they want this type of rig for bass. The more expensive ones I've linked were right up there in specs and performance (actually BETTER in some respects) and yet scads cheaper.

Not to mention bass-specific designs by Accugroove and Euphonic Audio. The Accugroove multiways on top of Accugroove subs are considerable in price, but cheap if you actually want that quality and level of sound.

Meyer Sound is here in Berkeley.

They have supplied the sound systems for various local clubs, including Yoshi's Jazz House which is one of the best venues in the country.

I haven't heard any Peavey or Carvin gear that sounds as good as the Meyer Sound speakers.

But for a typical bass player to get Meyer cabinets would definitely be an overkill situation.

Anthony Jackson is not your typical bass player.

By the way, last night I was in the opening act (a jazz trio) for Tuck and Patti. Tuck Andress had no amplifier, he just played directly into the PA, no preamp. His only effect was a 1/3 octave equalizer. His Gibson Super 400 guitar sounded incredible. Of course he would probably sound incredible on any guitar through any amplification, he is a phenomenal guitarist.

By the way, he said my AccuGroove cabinet sounded great. Liked my playing, too. ;)

(O.T.)Patti is a friend of my wife.

" The more expensive ones I've linked were right up there in specs and performance (actually BETTER in some respects) and yet scads cheaper."

The Peavey and Carvin were not among the more expensive.

Archived