Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How strange - bass GAS returns...

alexclaber

Played a really amazing bass today - very similar to my Warwick in its fast neck-thru feel and natural wood finish, and nice clear resonant tone. It takes a lot to impress me and this instrument really did. And the price? £175 new!!! Crazy! :D

I see a new bass in my future - maybe a 5-string? I think I can justify having a second fretted bass - my fretless isn't really a useful back up and I'd like something with which I can try different tunings; tenor, piccolo, contrabass, 5ths etc.

Didn't sound as good plugged in as unplugged but that's not what matters - pickup and electronic upgrades are easy, and unless it becomes my main bass its unlikely to be gigging or seriously recording.

The will to resist is leaving me...

Alex

P.S. SteveC, stop hassling that voodoo doll - you've succeeded!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Takes something pretty drastic to shake me. I can play most basses and I go, "it's default voice and feel is a bit different than what I'm using now. But so what..."

But if the feel and sound is drastically NEW to me I begin to feel it. When I look at the luthiers who are making their excursions into chambered bodies or headless, or extended range, or ESPECIALLY fanned scale lengths, I do admit some interest. I think eventually I will end up with a fanned Six-or-more FRETLESS with a bright tone/attack (swamp ash with figured maple or walnut top, ebony or similar 'board) like because I really like the improvement fanning provides.

I'm thinking it will probably be Knuckle or Bee that provide it.

Hey C. Alex,

Now why come up with excuses for us? :D We all know why we need another bass. Just testing out the sound of it on us before taking it up with "She-who-does-not-understand-G.A.S.?"

Good luck, and hey, I used to live in Christchurch and made it to Brighton one day. Auto driving was definitely NOT in the realm of thought in Brighton several hundred years ago.

ATM

I love trying basses. Some I like, some are no big deal. I find that if I like a bass, I try to play other basses and come back another day. If I still like it, I make a mental note.

Alex, I'm displeased with you. You see I have the ability to like lots of basses and keep my wallet in my pocket. And your unthinkable failure to name the brand, model, and features means I can't go out and see if I like it. What's with that????? Don't make me come over there !!

Spit it out! DETAILS - WE NEED DETAILS !!!!

Steve, put Alex's doll down and work on mine. I do need a new amp....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Dr. Zarkov:

Alex, I'm displeased with you. You see I have the ability to like lots of basses and keep my wallet in my pocket. And your unthinkable failure to name the brand, model, and features means I can't go out and see if I like it. What's with that????? Don't make me come over there !!

Spit it out! DETAILS - WE NEED DETAILS !!!!

Tom

Yeah, Alex what he said. What gives? :D

Originally posted by Dr. Zarkov:

Spit it out! DETAILS - WE NEED DETAILS !!!

It was one of these but 4-string and the body stained more redish than brownish. However, I think I'd want five strings and the brown stain. If I can get that for £200...

However, there is another part of me that wants an acoustic piccolo bass for writing with. Unfortunately you don't see (m)any in shops...

Alex

Originally posted by C.Alexander Claber:

[QBHowever, there is another part of me that wants an acoustic piccolo bass for writing with. Unfortunately you don't see (m)any in shops...[/QB]

Sure you do. They are called "guitars".

These look like nice basses for the price. I don't how many strings I'd like, but I know what color I'd pick....

You saw this, right?

http://www.jandd-guitars.com/gif/yc-s4b-1.jpg

Looks OK to me...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

It's not as aparent in the pic Tom posted, but the one Alex links to looks a lot like my Roadstars, body shape-wise. To me, at least.

Alex, that looks like a good quality build, and the price is great!

What are you waiting for? :)

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Archived