Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

One GREAT sound, or a variety of good ones?

SteveC

OK, I know I'm on a gear merry-go-round. I have a PodXT - it has some very nice sonds - especially the Alembic model. I have my new QSC PLX 1202 and my Bergantino HT112. Great little set up.

A week after I buy the Pod, a friend tells me he is selling his Avalon U5 (which I have used many times with both upright and electric basses, fretted and fretless) and I could have it for the "good friend" discount price. It's a REALLY good price.

My question:

Do I keep the PodXT, have a variety of sounds, effects, etc. all in one little package...

or

Go for the Avalon that sounds INCREDIBLE but has basically one sound.

I almost bought an Avalon a while back but went with a SansAmp BDDI as I (and others) didn't think I needed to spend a ton on an Avalon. Well, now I can get one for under $400.

Sorry for yet another gear-related thread from me, but you will be happy to know I am practicing on solo bass material alla Mike Dimin and others.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or, split the difference:

Buy your friend's Avalon for less than $400.00, donate it to a suitable charity for a tax credit (possibly for something like it's true price, depending on condition), the charity can sell/raffle the thing for something approaching its value, and everybody wins.

Plus, you get the warm fuzzies and a karma boost, and you still have lots of good tones.

Just a thought.

Or, buy the Avalon and sell it to me, as I have no tones at the moment to speak of, so I'm kinda like a charity...

Peace,

wraub

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

You GOTTA STOP!!!!! Heheheheheh.

I choose one great tone over a bunch of so-so tones. I see myself using my simple setup for a long time. A good bass amp tone is good for any type of music,the rest can be done with EQing and how you approach the bass. Maybe a couple pedals for some folks.

I think you should sell ALL of your gear and play an acoustic 2 string for a few months. Its the only cure man. :P

I think I have a solution. Don't try to be rational and choose one or the other. Get both. If you have one GREAT sound then in a few months you'll want a variety of good ones or vice versa - keep your options open and you may only change your rig once every few months rather than on a weekly basis! ;)

Getting rid of the internet connection may also prove productive but we'd be sad to see you go as we'd then have to admit to our own GAS problems rather than just saying "but I'm not as bad as Steve..." :D

Alex

I haven't spent that much time with the Pod stuff other than the original kidney. I thought the sounds were not going past "all right" at that time. But perhaps a decent programmer could get a few great tones out of the newer stuff. I know you can get AWESOME tones out of the V-Bass which one doesn't need to make excuses for, comparing favorably to the best around.

But honestly, when I said DONATE I was not being facetious. As many professed Christians attend this forum, surely you understand that helping others is a great way to climb out of unhealthy obsessions and to truly do God's work. It only takes some so-so sounds ANYWAY, coupled with a great heart, to make great music that will act as a positive force in the world - whether at P&W, or in the local bars/dens of iniquity.

Originally posted by wraub:

Or, split the difference:

Buy your friend's Avalon for less than $400.00, donate it to a suitable charity for a tax credit (possibly for something like it's true price, depending on condition), the charity can sell/raffle the thing for something approaching its value, and everybody wins.

You're assuming that Steve won't just buy it back? Meh... ;)

I say go with the one great sound. That will probably the most versitile one in the long run.

2nd option: BOTH! That is of course if you can afford it. This option is the one to go with if you can see yourself buying the POD again somewhere down the road.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I say have one set of equipment you use, basically. Too many people buy a new amp / bass / pedal per new tonality they want. Of course there are restrictions with the amount of sounds you can do...but music isn't always about being a chameleon. If you can change your tone to be similar to a new style of music or groove while keeping your recognizable tonality in the mix it just sweetens the song as yours. Basically keep one solid tone for yourself and tweak it as neccessary.
-Birth Control-

Unless you can return the POD for total refund, I'd say try to get both.

I think however, that with the POD, you'll have more versatility, and I bet with all that awesome gear, you'll sound awesome anyways.

In Skynyrd We Trust

Eddie and I were talking about something like this on Sunday: Generally, Eddie sounds like Eddie no matter what he's playing, and I sound like I sound no matter what I'm playing.

So I guess one great sound.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

73 P Bass: Eddie and I were talking about something like this on Sunday: Generally, Eddie sounds like Eddie no matter what he's playing, and I sound like I sound no matter what I'm playing.
Through a 1x8 Gorilla practice amp versus an SVT cab with a newly tubed and biased head I'm willing to bet the sound is not all that similar ; } ...I mean, can't we be a little reasonable about what we claim? ...It is possible for any of us, by applying musicality, to eventually get a good sound through rather modest gear. But it isn't going to be the SAME sound as we get through great rigs.

However as you get into comparisons of finer gear it becomes increasingly more subjective what the word BETTER means, and a decent musician should have no problems leveraging any of these for a real good tone that speaks well to others, and even fooling educated ears sometimes what gear is actually in use.

Jimbroni- you're right. I do want it. I've used it on gigs before and it was fantastic.

Donut - I think you make sense, too. Get a good basic tone and go from there. I have good enough technique and awareness of where/how to move my hands/fingers to get different tones. The bartolini electronics in everything won't hurt either.

Fished Fusion - good thoughts as well.

As for the donating...I am playing in my church band a couple services (plus Sunday School Sing-a-Long) two to three times a month. It does make a difference. It maybe doesn't show yet, but it will. Ironically, the sermon the first Sunday I was there was about greed.

In the long run the Avalon is going to be more useful to you, and I haven't seen one under $600 in months. If you can bend the budget, this is too good a deal to pass up.

The real question is whether you're going towards a rack or just the POD. You'll achieve a significant sound upgrade with quality rack effects, but it'll take time, good budgeting and lots of browsing to get there.

So play around with the Avalon awhile. If you decide later to sell it, I'd go with the charity options my colleagues mentioned earlier. Charity donations and auctions are good for the charity and good for the donors, financially (talk to a good accountant about this) as well as spiritually. There are plenty more PODs out there, and they'll get cheaper every year as Line6 keeps rolls out the newer models.

:wave:

Originally posted by   :

73 P Bass: Eddie and I were talking about something like this on Sunday: Generally, Eddie sounds like Eddie no matter what he's playing, and I sound like I sound no matter what I'm playing.
Through a 1x8 Gorilla practice amp versus an SVT cab with a newly tubed and biased head I'm willing to bet the sound is not all that similar ; } ...I mean, can't we be a little reasonable about what we claim? ...It is possible for any of us, by applying musicality, to eventually get a good sound through rather modest gear. But it isn't going to be the SAME sound as we get through great rigs.

You might note the word "generally" was used.

Let me give you an other example:

"Generally, Lance Armstrong can ride a bicycle faster than me".

Now if Mr. Armstrong was on a department store mountain bike, with flat tires, and I was on a descent road bike I might be able to ride faster.

But "generally" Lance can ride a bike faster than me.

-Jeremy C

73 P,

I was drawing attention to the fact that discussing one's own stylistic/technical/touch signature is NOT the same as discussing the tendencies of different RIGS and how they deliver and influence the sound. Best not to confuse waht are two different issues.

The Avalon is reknown as a solid preamp, and yet... they aren't the holy grail like they used to be. Not that there is anything "wrong" (no failures etc.), but it's that players have started to look for a slightly different sound, and that there are so very many alternatives (That part I suspect you are acquainted with).

Many folks have switched to the POD to have more flexibility. Even if you don't program your own sounds, you can use some modeling to help solve problems with the rooms you play (though this isn't necessarily the best approach). And effects - it's got effects.

I'd say stick with the POD. The price is quite attractive, though. Still - I always thought I'd want one, but when I played one at a jam I was underwhelmed. Sure it's quiet, solid, sounds cool and looks neat. But to have no EQ and one tone knob? Not for me.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I dunno, Zarkov,

I mean, that Pod has probably gotten a lot of miles put on it over the past few - uh, days? Weeks? Probably a sizeable investment has been made to learn to use it well, and to individualize its use. Nevertheless, no sense in keeping something around if it's lost its gloss.

Originally posted by   :

73 P,

I was drawing attention to the fact that discussing one's own stylistic/technical/touch signature is NOT the same as discussing the tendencies of different RIGS and how they deliver and influence the sound. Best not to confuse waht are two different issues.

I'm not confusing issues.

I've played through a number of different rigs of relatively the same quality at rehearsal studios and gigs, and I've usually been able to dial in a sound I am happy with.

Yes, there always will be exceptions to the rule, and I'm sure there are people who can discern certain subtleties that I do not.

But generally, I can get a sound I'm happy with out of most (quality) rigs. So can Eddie.

-Jeremy C

Well, Dr., you have a point as well. Although I can't imagine anyone saying "you have an Avalon U5, yuk" when I show up with it. :)

It does have effects, but I should have learned by now that I don't use them. I have tried to have/use effects before and I always get rid of them. I just never seem to learn. Maybe this time...

I do appreciate everyone's input. It's just bad timing. If the Avalon would have been available 10 days ago, I wouldn't be having this little situation. Oh well....

Steve, I think you might be one of the most horribly GAS affected people in the Lowdown.

Of course right below PJR. :D

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

The Avalon U5 is superb. It's not supposed to do what a POD does. And I'm sure the POD is just fine. But I'm not sure that's the real issue.

Mark your calendars: I'm with Sixthingy on this one. ;) There are two ways to deal with a desire. One is to rearrange your situation so that it meets your desire. The other is to rearrange yourself so that your desire meets your situation.

I think it's unhealthy to be caught in a cycle of constantly desiring & acquiring. And I'm as susceptible to it as anyone.

Accept that what you have is fine. It'll take time & work, but it can be done.

Lots of wise words to be found here. Hopefully, I will get myself out of this revolving door soon. I know it isn't good.

There are a couple hidden costs for me with the Pod. I need a MIDI Interface ($45) and an operating system update ($120) before I can back up my Pod. I haven't bought them yet.

One way or the other (Pod or Avalon) I do know I am keeping my Bergie and QSC. Those are 2 pieces of gear I know are good quality and can handle my gigs.

Shots? Who's taking shots? I think we're all calling it like we see it.

SteveC, 2 weeks ago you were convinced that the POD was the way to go. Not so long ago, you were using the Avalon. What changed in that time? I'm not sure I understand.

Also, I not extremely confident that you will be holding on to either the Bergantino or the QSC. Wasn't it just last week you were really yearning for the Mackie powered PA speaker? Even though you didn't buy it, you still desire something more than the Bergantino. Haven't you recently described is as "getting by" with something that is "good enough."

Let your playing stand on its own. Don't sweat the small stuff, like gear.

Archived