Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Inadequacy?

LLroomtempJ

I don't know guys. I'm close to being pocket, but there are just sometimes that i wish that some insane bass player would show up at one of my gigs take my bass and show me how it's really supposed to be done.

At church, the atmosphere is quite different from other playing venues but i can't help but to think that there is a lot of potential to be filled in my playing. Well, i KNOW there is a lot of potential to be filled.

I'm quite self/video taught and most musicians that i play with are satisfied with my approach to a groove and never try to change what i'm playing. But the distressing thing is that I play with people from berklee (school of music) for crying out loud. I wish they would say something.

This thread probably wont go anywhere, but i'm just wondering if there are any other newbies out there that feel this same frustration.

jason "1yr 8months" "100+ post" atkins

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude, no worries. Just kick back and enjoy. Don't over think it. If you just relax and enjoy, the groove will find YOU.

If you're jammin' with cats from Berkley and they aren't sayin' anything you're doin' just fine.

When I started playin' bass I'd find myself feelin' that same way, but sometimes you just gotta put on some headphones and play alone for a while, like several hours, 'til you're so comfortable that it just happens.

Yep, I know how you feel...even though I've played for 31 years, and play and teach for a living.

Sometimes really hot musicians, playing in a less than pro group, send subtle signals that can leave a newer player feeling untalented.

But you keep on keeping on! Every one of them was once a beginner. Just be honest about where you are, and work hard to learn. And remember; a lot of that bass flashing around is completely unnecessary to make the song work. If you can't pull off some Vic groove during rehearsals, don't sweat it. Those who do are just showing off.

And my definition of taste: Taste is the opposite of "showing off." So keep it groovy and tasty.

Ever listen to Allison Krauss and Union Station? The greatest bunch of talented soloists around. And Barry Bales on the bass...never even plays a solo. His bass lines are simple, but pure gold.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

I live for the days when I get my ass kicked, in a musical sense. I often get satisfied with where I'm at technically/fundamentally, and it always does a body good to get a wake up call. That last major one I can remember is seeing Richard Bona's band play at a local jazz club. Man. That man can certainly play the notes and has all the restraint of the best musicians out there. It inspires me to practice more and think more about every note that I play. There was once a very great bass player who said (paraphrasing), "when you play a note, mean it". Indeed.

One bit of personal development along this line is that I approach my playing completely different when playing a 4 string vs. a 5 string; and fretless vs. fretted. Take a different bass to your normal gig and see what happens. You might just surprise yourself.

Most really good players don't want you playing like them, they want you to lay a bed they can sound good over. A few years ago I was doing a blues gig in NY and the sub lead guitarist was a pretty well known session dude. I was of course intimidated but all he wanted me to do was "play big". It was probably one of the greatest lessons I've ever had on the bandstand. Do your thing, do it STRONG and with dynamics.

And there may be another very good reason why those other well-trained musicians say nothing to you, despite your own feelings of inadequacy...

Maybe your playing is a refreshing change from many of the showboating, slap-happy, Victor Wooten Wannabes that they have to put up with for bass players in other situations.

Maybe they really dig the fact that you can consistently handle the bass players job number one of being the engine that powers the band.

As said above...

Just be you and keep the motor chuggin' along!

:thu:

yeah man, one of the beauties of being a bass player is that you can just LAY IT DOWN.. very simple, solid, and people will love you for it.

If you're feeling your playing is missing something still, try getting a teacher, but otherwise, as was said, keep on keepin'!

-Paul

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

Dude, you are so far ahead of the game. At 1 year+ you just discovered the zen of bass playing.

It took me years to figure it out and a lot of guys never figure it out. For every guy that gets a gig because he rips like Jaco of Wooten, there are a hundre guys that loose a gig because they rip like Jaco or Wooten.

I know a gold record having, academy award winning singer who's looking for a bass player right now. Do you know why she's looking for a bass player? Because her current guy can't keep his mouth shut long enough to hold the pocket together.

I saw the title and thought my wife was calling me.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I am a pretty bare bones player. I think I lay down a tasteful, solid bass line. If I'm covering (which is what I usually do) I take pride in playing the "recorded part" faithfully. If the situation allows and I can go somewhere else with it, I try my best.

I think I tend to put some of "me" in every line - covered or not. We all do. I think most people around here know how I play. If they want me, they ask me. If they want something else, they ask someone else.

I am trying to learn some "solo" things to stretch myself. It would also be nice to be able to play a "song" if someone asked to hear me play something. I can quote a hundred "licks" but that's not what the average person wants to hear when they ask that question.

I try to do some of the "fancy" stuff, but usually, when I'm gigging, I try to play what the song needs.

You're doing fine.

Jason-

Listen read the words above this post, and heed them well.

You are obviously a smart guy, you sound like you are a smart player. You are, at 1 year +, playing with Berklee types and keeping up.

And you are still looking to improve, to better your sound, and your self, as a player.

I'd say you are doing fine.

A teacher may be something to consider, just for some polish, if that's what you think you need.

Theory can be so useful...

Keep up the good work. :thu:

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Don't worry about being the star of the band. Be the soul of the band. I can't solo and never once in my short, late-starting musical life has it hurt me. People want bass players with good time and good groove.

www.ethertonswitch.com

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

One bit of personal development along this line is that I approach my playing completely different when playing a 4 string vs. a 5 string; and fretless vs. fretted. Take a different bass to your normal gig and see what happens. You might just surprise yourself.

I think this is excellent advice. My fretted bass is temporarily out of service, so I am using my fretless for everything. I think I could/should be using it more often.

Sounds like you are doing fine.

If you are playing ok, people will rarely say anything about your playing. If you are friends with them, you could ask them if they thought you could do anything to improve.

What's weird about bass playing is that often a gifted beginner will play exactly what an experienced pro would play. It's the intermediate players who cause all the problems: they are always trying to get the cool stuff they have learned how to do into all the songs. ;)

Originally posted by chewstermaniac:

bwahahaha!! :)

I've gotten the exact same reaction from her at times, usually after we get the kids to sleep and go to bed. :(

Jeremy, I think lug would be better off with Enzyte :D It seem to work for the guy in the commercials.

What's weird about bass playing is that often a gifted beginner will play exactly what an experienced pro would play. It's the intermediate players who cause all the problems: they are always trying to get the cool stuff they have learned how to do into all the songs.

:thu:

Originally posted by   :

Don't worry about being as good as someone else. Just be the best YOU. Develop who you are, what you want to say, how you choose to say it. Some of us were put here for that.

WORD!

:cool:

One of my favorite "Daveism's": Everyone has done something for the first time at least once. Uh...yeah. Many folks have done something the "first time" 2 or 3 times. :freak:

Regardless of where you are on your musical journey, if the right attitude and right endeavors and improvement are visible to your fellow musicians, they probably like you and probably plan on keeping you. Plus, what everyone else said. If you were doing something totally wrong, believe me, someone would tell you quickly! (Us humans are that way, ya know...we are quick to point out the negatives and forget to put point out the positives!)

And btw...no matter how talented you are, there's ALWAYS someone who's better. So, do what you do best, continue to learn and improve, and make sure you enjoy every bit of it along the way. :thu:

L8r,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

One thing to remember is that some musicians know their place very well and are not as aware of other instruments. Since your gang is well-educated, this is probably not the case for you. But it definitely happens - I've played with lots of guitars and keys who really don't know the bass player's job. They end up concentrating on their own playing (in a good way, not the egotistical thing).

Originally posted by Gospel5string:

... i wish that some insane bass player would show up at one of my gigs take my bass and show me how it's really supposed to be done...

Dude - name the time and I'm there :idea:

Oh - you mean "insanely good", not just insane ??? Damn....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

"Hold the line

You've got to play it on time"

haha a la Toto

I always seem to end up playing with musicians older than me, and usually, they are very good, and that makes me push myself further.

Many times though, I get the butterflies, especially when I see the guitar players whip out a Les Paul deluxe through a marhsall stack and I see the drummer has a kit like Neil Peart. But then I go, "Yeahhhh baby" and I find the groove.

Just find the groove and keep in time, no need to blow your load all over the fretboard.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

I hold the line - the line of strength that pulls me through

the fear

San Jacinto - I hold the line

San Jacinto - the poison bite and darkness take my sight -

I hold the line

And the tears roll down my swollen cheek - think I'm losing

it - getting weaker

I hold the line - I hold the line

San Jacinto - yellow eagle flies down from the sun -

from the sun

We will walk - on the land

We will breathe - of the air

We will drink - from the stream

We will live - hold the line

In my last cover band (for 3 years) my guitarist was a Berklee grad with a double major in composition and production. (I think he's been playing for nearly 30 years) He's still with the cover band I left two years ago.

I think I may have taken 3-4 bass lessons in my 34 years of bass playing. If all goes well there should be a CD out in a few months with my original lines on it.

Guess who makes more money?

Right: the guitar player.

Now guess who's fulfilling his dream?

(are we having fun yet, Mr. Carnegie?) :D

Archived