Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bored and searching

Mike H.

Well, after working 8 years in music store retail, I've taken a new job managing the Acme Tool Crib warehouse.

I'm wanting a new bass, but I'm REALLY bored with gear from the music store job, and nothing really excites me gear-wise anymore. I'm trying to find something that I don't have. Preferably maple fretboard. I love my Yamaha TRB, Nathan East, and G&L L2500. Should I go 4 string, or stay 5? I thought about building a bass, but by the time everything's said and done, I can buy a "name brand" bass for the same or often times less.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You say in another thread that although you've owned literally dozens of basses, the one you really regret parting with is a Stingray. So, why not a Stingray or Sterling, in maple? Otherwise, it's pretty hard to say what anyone else should do. But for me, that Sterling would be calling me loud & clear.

Originally posted by dcr:

But for me, that Sterling would be calling me loud & clear.

Hell yeah. I love mine, even if I do beat on it unmerciful sometimes.

I actually have been GASing recently for a Stringray 5 string. Dammit all. I so don't need another bass.

If your looking for someone to suggest an instrument for you, well we can offer advice but the answer lies in you.

Most of us go through some sort of musical "downtime" where frustrations and lack of motivation have us picking up our instruments less than one would hope.

Buck up, listen to some of your favourite bands, watch a few live shows on the video machine, and go catch a concert.

Buy a vintage bass. Some heavy old wood always gets me in the mood to play.

Good luck, let us know what you decide on.

Just an aside, what are you using now?

Check out my work in progress.

I think looking for a Teal/Maple Ray is the answer. That's the one I always hear you talk about. You also mention an old school jazz, but I don't see it.

If not a Ray, then some other Yamaha. You are most happy playing them.

Those ESP Jazz basses are pretty nice, too.

Look at what some of the luthiers are doing. I know this is not a popular opinion, but I believe some of them are Jacos of bass building. Not content to just pump out what has been done before, they are stretching the voice and the profile of the instrument.

because of my interest in extended range basses I often mention Knuckle Guitar Works, Bee Basses, Dingwall, JP Basses, several others. But I'd like to point at a couple that deserve wider mention that I haven't pointed at in a while:

Veillette Guitars

http://www.veilletteguitars.com/guitars/bass-6-fretless-amber.jpghttp://www.veilletteguitars.com/guitars/custom_guitar.jpg

Timtone Custom Guitars

http://www.timtone.com/gallery/images/DXBassAngleface.jpghttp://www.timtone.com/gallery/images/T4S7anglevert.jpg

I'm on a fairly tight budget, so that's why I don't go for the Stingray/Sterling (otherwise I'd have one believe me). The Schecter CV-4 seems like a nice alternative. Or a used Lakland Skyline is of interest. I thought of something along a "jazz" bass like an ESP J1004 deluxe or a Schecter California Custom 4 string also.

Try something ridiculously un-related, but still musical.

i.e.: I have an old synth from when I played keyboard bass on some tunes during the 80's. It's not anything fancy, but it does have an 8 channel/track sequencer that I can program 2-6 minute loops...drums, horns, keys...

Old synths and drum machines (and their funky sounds/rythyms) can open the ears - and can be had cheap these days. Break the rules, play what you want to - you never know where motivation sleeps?

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Originally posted by Mike H.:

I'm on a fairly tight budget, so that's why I don't go for the Stingray/Sterling (otherwise I'd have one believe me). The Schecter CV-4 seems like a nice alternative. Or a used Lakland Skyline is of interest. I thought of something along a "jazz" bass like an ESP J1004 deluxe or a Schecter California Custom 4 string also.

Dude, I love my stingray. You can find some really great deals on them as well if you just hunt around a bit. 2/3rds the cost and less!
Check out my work in progress.

Archived