Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Upright and Floating!

g.

Upright fiends and bassline afficianados,

Check out Jay Leonhart's GREAT DUETS CD on Chiaroscuro. This was recorded in '96 over a two week period at/on/during the Floating Jazz Festival on the cruise ship SS Norway while in the Caribbean {sounds like a choice way to "go mobile" : }

In duets (and one trio) in a great selection of not-so-overdone standards Leonhart's walking, arpeggiating, strumming, and riffing ostinatos support the likes of Bucky Pizzarelli, Gene Bertoncini, Junior Mance, and a bevy of other pianists and guitarists. His duet with Joe Williams on 5:00 In The Morning blows me away too - just bass and smokey vocals with nothing to obscure the blue mood. Even here, a great bass solo!

Elsewhere on the CD I'm hearing at times a little Slam Stewartesque hummin' with the line way in the background, but it's mostly Leonharts' bass melodies and solos - which are impeccable as his his full range tone. And the recording quality is topnotch; to achieve this on a ship is not shabby.

This is a great album for The Bass, or the jazz duo - and for lovers of great songwriting too!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.thebasslesson.com/media/images/mediaclp_04.jpg

http://www.thebasslesson.com/media/images/mediaclp_06.jpg

Wake up homies! This cat is an upright god! The more I listen to the album the more I'm getting blindsided by awesome soloing - incredible wide-ranging triplets at 160 bpm each note resonant and thumpin'. Arco that speaks quickly and expressively. He's got it all! I'd marry him if I weren't already with Salma Hayek!

Check out his site: http://www.jayleonhart.com/

He's got a DVD (clips on site) called THE BASS LESSON that's a solo act. Just him, the big bass, his songs of bass-centric mirth, spoken observation and singing. Hilarious and rulin'! Who needs anything but THE BASS? And maybe a few lessons...

This is for everyone who does bass! - not just upright playahs!

His daughter and one of his sons tour with Steely Dan for a number of years, as well. She's also got her own band that sounded "cool" in a Sade sort of way, and does jazz and percussion gigs.

It should be her and not dear old dad I talk Salma into admitting into the family.

I've bought quite a few of Jay's albums over the years. The playing is always top notch. One I listen to all the time not is Rodergers and Leonhart which has his wife, son and aforementioned daughter on it as well as many other fine players. All Rodgers and Hart songs.

I have The Bass Lesson and I can attest to its wonderful entertainment and musical value.

Jay Leonhart lives in my neighborhood and I've seen him on the subway with his bass from time to time. I haven't had the nerve to approach him...but I still think it's pretty cool. :D

Originally posted by BenLoy:

I have The Bass Lesson and I can attest to its wonderful entertainment and musical value.

Jay Leonhart lives in my neighborhood and I've seen him on the subway with his bass from time to time. I haven't had the nerve to approach him...but I still think it's pretty cool. :D

Would you mind if someone politely approached you in a friendly manner about your music?
Check out my work in progress.

Originally posted by chewstermaniac:

Originally posted by BenLoy:

Would you mind if someone politely approached you in a friendly manner about your music?
oh i'd be pissed off. probably use the 5string to beat them up or something. I can only imagine how much more damage an upright would do.

Benloy, proceed with caution.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

Say hi, Ben. He's a real nice guy. When I was about 25 Jack Lesberg struck up a conversation with me on the F train because he saw I had a bass with me (he was on the way to a session). Not only was he one of the nicest human beings I've ever met but he told me a lot of great stories about other NY bassists (Jay and Eddie Gomez included). I loved listening to him and for that half hour train ride I got a real piece of history straight from a guy who'd been there from big bands on up. It's something that I still treasure to this day.

Archived