Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Today's Unsung Hero: Colin Moulding

Yogi

Colin Moulding doesn't seem to get much play around here. Maybe that's because XTC isn't very active anymore, they release a record every 3-5 years or so.

But Mr. Moulding is the man. Over the years, XTC has built up a suprisingly large catalog, and it's filled with terrific bass playing. Check out Colin's angry, almost atonal churning line on "Helicopter" from Drums And Wires. Or his smooth, virtuosic fretless playing on "Melt The Guns" from English Settlement. Or how he carries one of the greatest pop songs ever written, "The Mayor Of Simpleton" (Oranges And Lemons) with his nimble and jaw-dropping melodic invention.

And he's a great singer and songwriter, too, getting a George Harrison-esque two songs or so per disc.

If you haven't heard XTC, and Colin Moulding's playing with them, get out there to your local music mart and dive in. That's all!

"Expectations are the enemy of music." - Mike Keneally

Hi! My band is... my band is... HALF ZAFTIG | Half Zaftig on MySpace | The Solo Stuff

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yogi,

In somewhat the same mould, check out the Rheostatics. I've got THE BLUE HYSTERIA and WHALE MUSIC; the same level of quirky writing and playing smarts is evident on every cut. Better than hand grenades at golf range.

I have been a fan of XTC's "radio hits" for a while, and "The Mayor Of Simpleton" in particular. I found the rest of that citrus to be unattractive...

I'll have to dig out some more stuff, but he is fine player whose parts have a great lyrical essence to them.

Time to dig out "mayor" and play it again....what a fun part :thu:

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Brother Yog, yes, Colin is a fantastic bass player and does amazingly cool things. It was you who turned me onto XTC more than anyone and I totally dig the stuff that they do.

I still smile everytime I listen to "Mayor of Simpleton" and the "one thing and that's.." line goes by. Mike Keneally stole that big time in "Day of the Cow part 2" from his first official solo release. A fitting tribute to a band that he loves so dearly.

English Settlement, Skylarking, and Oranges and Lemons all grace my CD collection and I dig them all.

As a side, Primus did a great cover of "Scissor Man" on their second EP of covers Rhinoplasty. Much coolness.

I was just learning bass when "Generals And Majors" came out. Actually, it was the vocal arrangement that got me. I've really dug them ever since.

Colin plays bass like I'd like to. I'm getting there, but only on my own stuff.

He rawks!!!

Ricky

Click on some ads once in a while!! :) -------------->

Archived