Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Going to see Wally Malone and Lady Bo tomorrow night!!!!

Connie Z

I'll see my first real live LowDowner in action! And his lovely Lady Bo! :thu:

I had the very sweet privelage of meeting and spending time with them when they were last here in New Orleans, but this time... I get the superb opportunity to see them perform!

They will be at the famous Rock & Bowl performing at a cool event put on by the Ponderosa Stomp folks. Here is the link: http://www.ponderosastomp.com/

It is called the "Tryin to Mess My Mind Festival" put on by the Mystic Knights of the Mau Mau (only in Nu Awlins!) :D

I'll shall report on my experience, if I survive it! :D:D

... connie z

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm soooo envious of you Connie...... I've never gotten to meet any of our lowdowners... but once my wife gets well, we are going to take a major vacation and see how many we can get to...

I'm planning a trip to Philly this summer, (actually Audubon, N.J.) to see my youngest daughter, and I don't think NYC is that far away... maybe I can finally get to meet some of the northern lowdowners (lock the doors

Dr.S Dub...here comes the hippy) :D , And on my way to Dallas to see relatives, I go right by New Orleans .... you never know.... ;)

Rock on...

Tommy

And the scoop?

Wally and Lady Bo are great. I've had the pleasure of seeing them perform, and they really tear it up. (They did a smokin' James Brown medley when I saw them!)

Tell us about the band. Wally, who played drums? Did this show include a horn section or not?

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Well here's the scoop!

Class Act, way cool, cool cat, cool lady, amazing, completely inspiring, great and yes... the did 'tear it up!' :thu:

Every one of those adjectives that you guys offered up, were dead-on! :D

Firstly I have to say that I am glad that I met this couple and got to know them, before I ever heard them perform, because they are so outstanding as performers, I would have been so totally star-struck that I wouldn't have been able to be relaxed with them.

Secondly... here is the story:

This gig is put together by a gentleman who is very dedicated to the world of music, and who must be VERY knowledgable about the history of pop, rock and r&b. He somehow manages to bring together musicians and singers who have worked together who originally created some of this wonderful music we enjoy today.

In this instance, there was a drummer named Clifton James, who had crafted the Bo Diddly drum beat, who was in Bo Diddly's band at the time Lady Bo was originally in it too. Now, during those days, they performed together a lot, but they have not been on a stage together for at least 25 years. And Clifton has actually not performed at all for many of those years. It was exciting, and touching and intriguing and very fun to see/hear them.

The group last night consisted of Lady Bo, Wally Malone & Clifton James. They were totally effective as a threesome. I couldn't believe that they could make so much wonderful music out of three people.

Lady Bo is funny, georgious, spontaneous, and one of the rockin-ist guitar players I've heard. She "owns" the world of guitar while on stage.

Wally is undoubtedly the COOLEST bass player on the planet! :cool::cool: His playing was perfect , groovin and fresh. His look was one of total professionalism, including his stage-wear (super handsome/cool black suit), and his MOVES were rockin/jazzin/funkin!!!

Clifton was a sweetheart, and played so great, that my new keyboard player (who I met for the first time last night, after several phone chats), who is a also a drummer, and I, were blown away.

We saw history in that musical reunion, and it was awe inspiring.

I am so inspired to learn and play more. I feel changed. I hardly ever get to observe live bass playing, let alone outstanding bass playing, so this was such a treat for me. :)

If you want to know if I had fun? I was out till 3am, and couldn't get to sleep till after 5am cause of all of the images and sound that were running through my mind. All of the performers who took the stage that night (5 groups in all) consisted of reunions. It was really great.

So in closing, I will agree that if any of you have the chance to catch a Lady Bo/Wally Malone performance... run, not walk to the venue!

... connie z

P.S. AND I got to dance with Mr. Malone! That was one of the highlights! Maybe historical too... as bass players don't dance together very often! :D:D:D

P.P.S. There are many more fun and interesting tidbits to this night, but this was the main stuff. And needless to say, I enjoyed their company immensely, for the little while we were able to just chat. This time their schedule did not allow for visiting away from the gig, due to rehearsals and arrival/departure times, but next time, we will do our GUMBO!

Oh yes, and I got flirted with by this fellow:

http://commerce.xspedius.net/blues/lazy.htm

I said, "Hi, how are you?" And he said, "Fine... now that you're here, pretty lady!"

So I bought one of his T-shirts! :D

... connie z

Just have to say that this past weekend was a real blast. It was great to see Connie again, and yes we are two dancin' bass players. It was a real treat for Lady Bo to play with drummer Clifton James again, it's actually been about 45 years since they played together with Bo Diddley and has been over 20 years since Clifton has played drums. It was such a high for him to do this gig and also the start of him getting to play some more since Lady Bo and I have some ideas for the future. We've been asked to play the Ponderosa Stomp again during jazz fest week next April. FYI, the name for the Ponderosa Stomp came from the title of a Lazy Lester record.

Wanted to let you all know how much I miss my online time with the Lowdown family. The new job in Reno and still doing my job as president of Local 153 in San Jose has been more demanding than I originally anticipated, but I'm enjoying that as well. Along with the Lowdown I miss the other bass related news groups and the fun I had coordinating BassQuake events and my exercise program hasn't been the same since April. The one thing I didn't give up is making sure I pick up my bass on a daily basis as I take both my six and a four string on my Reno trips and get my hour or two in a day.

Oh yes, and Connie did pass on the hello's from Steve Lawson and basshappi.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Archived