Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The one that got away.

butcherNburn

I'm sure most of us has a story of that one piece of gear that got away.

- A sweet instrument you sold.

- Outbid on ebay.

- Smashed and broken.

- Amp caught fire.

- Stupidly lent it to the wrong person or

- Left it on the bus.

I was looking at some old photos today and I saw more than one.

My first "project" guitar. A Peavy Predator, strat copy. A real cheapo (I got it for $50). I hotrodded the wiring and did some other wacked stuff too. I swapped it for a piece of crap. It really was a great one that more importantly gave me the confidence to build the next...

A MIM Jazz.. Got it with a really warped neck, swapped that out (bought one off a guy for $5). The frets were filed down almost to the board I swapped the bridge Jazz pickup (unknown origin), routed it out and added a Quarter Pound P PU (JPJ config). Added a "bass mdified" varitone, on/off switches for each PU, a midrange control, and a beefed up volume pot. It took a lot of tinkering but I eventually I got 5 great sounds out of it, and a couple of bad ones that if I was willing open up it up once more, I could have tweaked it to perfection. The sounds I did get, made me want to play it and not F it up. With all the stuff I did, I should have made a control cavity and not mount everything to the pick guard. Sold it. Cheap... Stupid stupid stupid. :cry:

Soon after, I was bidding on a Ric 4001.. I lost it by $12. I wasn't able to connect from work. :mad: That was one from a old site called

"Rock Auction". I really miss them. Basicly you were bidding on used stuff, with acurate descriptions of everything, from a music store (Daddy's Junky Music I believe). Man I miss that site.

And then.. and then.. I could go on....

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pre-CBS Fender Mustang bass. Black with a rosewood fingerboard.

And a Fender brown face amp.

Color Sound wah pedal, just like Jimi's.

And an American Deluxe Strat Plus like Clapton plays on the Hyde Park DVD.

Oh and a Kustom 4x10 guitar amp with white and silver sparkle padding.

That's my list.

P.S...

There is a photo in my high school yearbook, of me playing through the white Kustom amp in 1978 on the stage of the school gym. I'm playing a Telecaster through it, with an Electro Harmonix Little Muff pedal. Definitely a keeper photo!

:thu::D

Ouch!

Most of mine hurt because I had a hand in their creation. Anything of any real monetary value I've managed to hold on to. I have vowed to keep everything from now on... Except maybe some bum cables.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Her name was clairice, beautiful brunette, kindest most gentle heart. I was too busy trying to be cool.

Oh wait, you mean gear? Oh, easy, a through neck late '70's ibanez something or another way back when. I got the coolest sound out of that thing.

Check out my work in progress.

Eighties Tele reissue (MIJ)for a Crown power amp

Aria Pro II Integra (around 1990) for a Parametric eq

Carvin lb20 upgraded with the lb70's pre-amp for 2000 AM. Std. P-Bass

I hope I never trade in another axe; I miss them all. :cry:

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

My first bass - it was sold to me as a '63 Precision (which meant nothing to me at the time) in 1973 for $125. I sold it 2 years later for $350 to buy the biggest P.O.S. I've ever owned. Bad decision. I tried to buy it back every year, until I lost track of it.

http://za.msnusers.com/_Secure/0SgCz*xEXi22QelLXe*xR5rFtFmHGqRZ8C81eTjgWP*!KHB4ZJtQNfrpSfmRmx7q9qw3KstEpL3LAZJRp6zPHUoz*CaWqOe3moNY4NOUBlJmNcTkniaYGfQ/image7.jpg

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

My Ibanez Musician 940, factory fretless.

The only bass I have bought new, saved all summer with a layaway hanging over me.

Played that bass exclusively for 6 years, got a 5 string fretted, and sold the fretless for rent money.

Never have seen another one as nice.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I've held on to the '69 Gibson EB3 that I bought used in '72. I regret losing the bridge cover (the chrome was mostly gone when I got it). If I thought of it's collector value, I'd regret putting in the Univox RIC-copy pickup at the bridge. But these things have so little collector value (and it was pretty beat when I got it), that I don't regret it.

After being out of gigging for a while, I needed to buy an amp. Something small for churches. I though every combo in the price range ($3-400) lacked lows. One store I walked into had an old Kustom 2x12 - I knew that it would bring the bottom. The guy offered me two used heads - an old GK model that included a built-in phase shifter, and a Carvin guitar amp. I took the Carvin head to save $25. Bad decision...

Not bad compares with so many that sold their first bass.

My biggest losses have always come from saying stupid things - it's my brain that keeps getting away....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

MIJ '62 strat reissue. One of the nicest playing,and glassy sounding strats I have ever played. Sold it for $350 to a friend of mine who put Fralins in it and plays it all the time. I still don't own a guitar. I'd like that one back.

I bought a refinished '61 p bass for $1500 a few years ago. It weighed a little over 7 pounds and was SO resonant. I played it with the tone knob almost off and with TI flats. It sounded SO good. I traded it for a Lull MV5 thats long gone.

This is a tough one. I wish I could have kept all my gear. If I had to pick, I think it would be the Ken Smith Anniversary models I let go.

One was a 4 string. Lacewood body. Incredible.

The other was a Quilt Maple 5 string.

Both were BSRJmodels. 3 band, gold hardware, that cool detail where the head joins the neck, great playing and soundign instruments. The Lacewood was 1 of 5 made, the Quilt Maple was 1 of 19. I've actually searched for them , but no luck.

If anyone sees tham, let me know......

Hmmm. I guess I just don't care. I've even given equipment to people who I thought needed some encouragement and were not in a good place financially. If I lost what I have right now, THAT would hurt. Not only is it right for me, but it adds up to a fairly large investment and is not all easily replaceable. But I just can't get that worked up about stuff that's way back when.

But then, if it were one of Adrian's basses, or a 6 string Dingwall, maybe I could ; }

Originally posted by Edendude:

JB...

That is such a freakin' cool photo!

:thu:

hehe!! That was taken the first day I had it. Never played an instrument, completely clueless, bought it on a whim. Didn't know how to tune it, didn't even know any notes.

Dad said (while taking the pic) - "OK Mr. Musician - play me a song!" (Always the cynic).

"Dad - this is a bass, you don't play songs - you play riffs". (like I said - clueless)

...and thus it began.

I've kept a photo journal of every band/project/phase I've been thru.

It provides endless laughs and entertainment for my 14 year old daughter...

...Just wait 'til I show her (soon-to-be) boyfriends some of those baby pics I took!!!!

Payback...

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

natural finish 1978 fender musicmaster...sold it at a loss to apply cash to high credit card balance, the money didn't make it to the credit card. dumbass!!! (kicks himself in the ass) :cry:
Insert inaccurate quote here

Hmmm... Maybe this is one of the good things about being young and inexperienced. I don't have to sit here and cry about love lost.

I have sold three pieces of equipment through my playing time.

#1 - An Ibanez 5-stringer, GSR-model, low budget. It was the first bass I bought, although I had been playing the one my dad used back in the day, a 60-70's EKO (or EKG?) italian hand-built bass. A fine bass, needs some adjustment. Still have it :) I don't really mind this sale so much, I've tried playing it again sometimes. It sucks.

#2 - A Trace-Elliot 4x10 combo ('98-ish model). Sold this to buy my current Mesa rig. I've also tried playing through this amp again, and I really don't like that much, so I don't reaaly mind.

#3 - TC Electronic G-Major effects unit. Sold it to our guitar player, never really used it anyway, didn't like the digital sound, it lacked that certain crunchy analog sound.

So I think I'm in a pretty good place, right? although I've promised myself to never sell a bass-guitar again, amps are okay to some degree for me. BTW, Good one chewstermaniac :D

My gear:

Ibanez SR3005ESOL

Korg DTR-2000

Mesa/Boogie Basis M-2000 (For sale)

Mesa/Boogie Powerhouse 1000 (For sale)

JanJ,

I'll kick you about the G Major. That's one classy unit. Dynamic range galore. To sound "analog" just get a "warm" EQ curve happenin' - it's good enough to record an entire band through, really.

Originally posted by   :

JanJ,

I'll kick you about the G Major. That's one classy unit. Dynamic range galore. To sound "analog" just get a "warm" EQ curve happenin' - it's good enough to record an entire band through, really.

Well, sorry to say, it didn't really do anything for me. Maybe I'll regret it later. Worst case scenario, I can always just take it back, seeing as how he hasn't paid for it in full yet ;) It just seems like everytime I start using some kind of effects on my bass, the units stay in the signal chain for about three days, and then I start missing the pure sound of my own playing. I simply don't like hearing sounds that I'm not making coming from my amp, but I guess that's another thread...

My gear:

Ibanez SR3005ESOL

Korg DTR-2000

Mesa/Boogie Basis M-2000 (For sale)

Mesa/Boogie Powerhouse 1000 (For sale)

I wish I still had the Fender silverface Bassman 100 that was stolen along with my P-bass. That was a truly fantastic sounding amp.

But at least I eventually recovered my Precision, so I'm happy the way things turned out.

Cheers

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I really don't have any regrets, gear-wise.

One reason is that I've managed to replace stuff with better stuff. So I don't worry about the gear I used to have.

Sure, there are some things I'd just as soon still have, if money had been no object. I once sold off a rig with a ridiculously huge cab, and a pre & power amp in a rack. I kinda wish I'd gotten a more manageable cab & kept the rest. Oh well. And I sold a Yamaha RBX200 fretless which was a fairly cheap bass, but doggone it, I liked it. But none of this is stuff I look at as stuff I let slip through my fingers. No regrets. The stuff I'd regret selling, I keep!

my mom wanted to take my first bass and sell it, so to save my baby, i stripped all the finish off and didnt refinish it.

it did the trick, she never even brings it up anymore :D

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

Being that I bought a really sweet bass and had a sweet amp given to me, I have not yet really missed anything. I can't afford anything new and I don't need it. I am sure someday I will have stories to tell, but for today I am content to sit around this virtual campfire and listen to the rest of you play the blues. :D

Let your speech be better than silence, or be silent.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

"Rindase!"

"Rendirme? Que se rinda su abuela, *#@!^$"

I have a few that got away ::

*1969 Jazz Bass - had it for about a year until it was stolen. Got it back three days later, after it spent two days underwater in a ditch during a rainstorm.....

*1971 Jazz Bass - Played this natural ash bodied bass for about a decade when the truss rod crapped out during a gig. The action was literally rising beneath my fingers!

*1978 Jazz Bass - Traded it for the 1969 Jazz mentioned above.

*1978 Precision Bass - Had two P Basses of this year model, one black and one cherry sunburst.

I would like to have any of these back in my arsenal.

The one that still burns me sometimes is when I discovered my '69 Gibson EB-3 was stolen from my condo. No one seemed to know about it, the police took a report, I searched local pawn shops for a few weeks and then gave it up. I bought it used from a friend over 20 years ago and he's since passed away; that was the one bass I never wanted to sell.

The one person I find hard to forgive is an instrument theif, especially that one.

:mad:

I wish I hadn't sold my '83 Rick 4001 a few years ago. It was the first real bass I ever had, I got it when I was 17 by making my parents buy it for my graduation present. And I had to pay for half of it too....

I sold it because I hadn't played it in years, and never thought I would be playing 4 strings again, and was unemployed and buying a Roscoe. At the time I wasn't feeling too sentimental about it, after all, it's just an object, right? I was in a period of needing to clean house and scale back on unused gear. Of course then GAS would set in, and I'm back where I started. So what did I buy 6 months later? A Geddy Lee Jazz, which I love playing now. So I guess my 4 string days weren't over after all. And I miss my old Ricky , just for sentimental reasons.

I also kind of wish I'd hung on to my purple Carvin 6 string, that thing played great, and was beautiful. I traded it to a friend for a Gibson pre-Nashville Tobias 5 which I've since sold.

Oh well, out with the old, in with the new! :D Yay for unending GAS!

I traded a MM Stingray - transparent teal, birdseye maple neck/fretboard, Hipshot D-tuner, white pearl guard towards a 5 string custom G&L L2500. A nice bass none the less, but that Stingray is the one bass (of the 30+ I've owned) that I've ever regretted selling. My wife tried several times to talk me out of trading it (as she knew I'd regret it) but I didn't listen.

I don't have any regrets and don't think I will considering I don't really like the feel of any of my basses(good sound though).

I have a 87 Fender P bass with active EMG's, an 84 Ibanez Roadstar II with active EMG's and an early nineties Ibanez SR800 which I plan on getting rid of when I get my Fender Jazz.

I really love the feel and sound of the Jazz. I even have a set of Bartolini passive pickups waiting for it.

"A is A"-the people of tunagialand

The one I really regret ever parting with is the Hamer 12-string that I had built in 1993. I sold it 3 years later because I wasn't playing it a lot at the time and I needed the money (as I was a starving college student at the time). Sucks. It was the "none more black" 12-string, Erik (CMDN) would have approved. Black Chaparral body, all black hardware, ebony fingerboard, black mother of pearl boomerang inlays... *sigh* It was so evil and it played like a dream. The guy at Hamer that I talked to when I ordered it liked the "none more black" idea so much that they did all the custom work for free; the black hardware which isn't usually an option on those basses, the black mother of pearl, the ebony fingerboard. They even did a reverse shadow of the Hamer logo on the headstock so the logo was as black as possible. Argh. It kills me that I don't have this thing anymore.

Archived