Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

recording fretless

bassarama19

How do you guys record fretless? in terms of order after drums obviously. Because playing to just drums can be daunting tuning wise as even if your finger is off by a 1/3 of an inch the poor intonation seems to be magnified in the studio. I find that playing with a fixed pitch instrument (keys,guitar etc.) helps a lot as I fix little indiscrepancies as well as gives it that nice fretless slur as my finger finds the pitch. However in order to do that, the other musicans would either a) play w/o bass which can be a big problem for some players as they often feed off the bass for soloing, comping etc. or b) except small intonation problems here and there.

Timing is a concern though other wise I would record with a fretted bass then rerecord with a fretless after.

THE ace of bass

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you could do a scratch track of sorts, don't worry too much about small intonation flubs.. or like you said, record fretted first.. or a piano scratch track.. or work on your intonation ;-)

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

This is going to seem like a smartass answer, but it really isn't: practice.

You have to play fretless regularly to keep your intonation good. It is also wise to do regular practice focusing solely on intonation. I need to follow my own advice!

And of course you have to practice the part you are going to record until you can get all the notes right with confidence. That can take a LOT of practice, depending on the part & how much of the general intonation work you've done. It's especially helpful if you can record your part during your practice, so that you can play it back & check it against a reference (e.g. piano chords) to see where the weak spots are.

Then go into the studio and lay that sucker down. Do it until you get a good track (& pray for patience from others). A good track is one that's either ready to go as-is, or can be made ready to go with a simple punch-in or two.

That is, that's how you do it without Pro Tools. :D

I am glad that dcr said it first.

Personally, the bulk of the electric practicing I do is on fretless. It is hard to get your intonation together on fretless unless you make it a priority. After a while, you should be able to play fretless at rehearsals and then gigs. Nobody will notice until you do the mwaaaah thing.

**Jeremy check your mailbox!**

Archived