Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NYC lowdowners: EMERGENCY!

The Fonz

HELP!

my boss is involved with a charity for kids with a rare skin condition that makes them unable to tolerate light. their life expectancy is relatively short and this is a combination fundraiser and opportunity to show some kids with rotten luck a good time for an evening. he has/had a band lined up but they're getting sketchy and my boss is really worried they're going to flake.

here's what's needed: a band to perform 2 songs in central park: you are my sunshine and rock around the clock. there's no cash involved but you will be given refreshments at the event and fed really well at the ensuing dinner. there are goody bags put together for the upscale upper west side crowd that will include the bands contact information and you will be given credit for being a great bunch of guys that really went out of your way to help some kids. wives/husbands/girlfrinds/boyfriends and kids are invited and kids under 12 will get presents and pony rides. so while there is no cash involved there are a number of wealthy people who will appreciate it on a materialistic level.

this is extremely short notice as the event is this saturday (october 2nd). anyone interested in helping out can get my work contact information here. PLEASE somebody give me a call and let me know if you would be into helping out.

thanks everyone.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
not trying to mock this situation or these children, but is "You Are My Sunshine" really the best song to play at a benefit for children who have a skin condition that makes them not able to tolerate light??

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

Originally posted by BigKahuna855:

not trying to mock this situation or these children, but is "You Are My Sunshine" really the best song to play at a benefit for children who have a skin condition that makes them not able to tolerate light??

I find this funny, but I can't help it. I really do think that would be a horrible disease to have.

Anyone know what happens if they are in contact with sun? I'm guessing its the UV light they are allergic(??) to. Or what is it called? I'm kinda interested about it. :confused:

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

I wish I was there to help you out, as I live in Dallas/Ft.Worth. The lyrics I don't think mean as much as people make out to be. The word "sunshine" is just figurative (sp?). The important thing is to help people out, and lift up those that are less fortunate. It says "Each one shall use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administrating God's grace in it's various forms". And as musicians, we have received a gift (sometimes it's a curse), but it is a gift that not everyone has. Let's lift each other up as musicians, and human beings. As Tiger Woods once replied, when asked what race he considered himself? He replied "The human race." If I could fly up there I would help you out. My mentor is Chuck Rainey, and he is the most loving, down-to-earth, and compassionate musician I've ever met, and a great role model. Keep up the good works!

Vince

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." ~ Pablo Picasso

Originally posted by Mr. Phil:

I find this funny, but I can't help it. I really do think that would be a horrible disease to have.

Anyone know what happens if they are in contact with sun? I'm guessing its the UV light they are allergic(??) to. Or what is it called? I'm kinda interested about it. :confused:

I think skin condition or not, anyone coming in contact with the sun would be most likely vaporized. Just trying to help...

Originally posted by Ace Cracker:

the disease is called xeroderma pigmentosa.

Ow, that's really nasty. Just googled it and basically the DNA cells in the skin become unable to repair themselves from sun damage (which happens from the tiniest amounts of UV light). Sounds like really really bad sunburn with the inevitable skin cancer to follow - apparently often by the age of 5 despite following best practice to avoid damage.

I'd help but I'm kind of in the wrong place...

Alex

'you are my sunshine

i hate you sunshine

you don't burn me

when skies are gray'

'you'll never know dear

how much i loathe you

someone please take my sunshine away.'

i'm sorry about that but the damn song got stuck in my head. it is a terrible disease, but i don't live in NYC. anyone else do charity work? if so, for what charities?

Insert inaccurate quote here

I did a benefit show almost a month ago with my original band for the Juvenile Diabetes Association. Tomorrow night I'm committed to a local church funraiser with another group whose bass player bailed a couple of days ago. (otherwise I'd been there for you, Ace!) I do about 5-8 a year.

The benefits are reassuring in that you get to see how generous and giving most people are (especially those that volunteer to serve meals or watch kids while everyone else is watching the bands play) which is refreshing after watching the news. It's gotten my name around in some circles, but I don't do it for the networking or the money. (One benefit I won the door prize and immediately donated it back so that they could award it to someone else.)

Nothing puts your life in focus better than seeing one of the kids who is benefitting from your donation of time and effort.

:wave:

I don't live in NYC, so I don't know how well central park is made, you know, it being a park and all one would assume that its outside...and since the sun is outside, yes, even in the early evening....see where i'm going with this? Does anyone else find that absolutly freaking weird?

That aside, congrats on helping with a charity, the kids will really enjoy it. This sounds like a terrible condition to have. God bless.

Check out my work in progress.

I already communicated privately with Ace - my band can't make it.

Sad - I hope the benefit goes well for the charity. Such a tough disease to live with.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

justinruins, that was in very poor taste man, very very poor taste.

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

Archived