Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any More Unconventional Rigs Out There?

SteveC

The "New Rig" thread got me wondering who around here uses a rig that would be considered "unconventional" to most. To me, a "conventional rig" would be a combo or head/cab combination.

For example, ClarkW is using the new Bose system. I am debating a powered PA speaker (or two for loud gigs) to go with my Pod.

Any others?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, my main rig is a bit "unconventional" by bass player standards. It starts with two piezo powered Godin acoustic/electric basses (a fretted four in standard tuning, and a fretless five tuned in fifths;CGDAE or CGDGD).

Those run to a Raven Labs MDB1 Mixer/buffer amp with a SansAmp Acoustic DI in its' aux loop (for use as a semi-parametric eq...altho from here I can run a direct line of my bass sound sans any further processing...)) and then to a Joe Meek MC2 stereo optical compressor. From there is goes to a Raven Labs PMB2, which is usually used by acosutic guitarists as a pre amp. The Aux loop of the PMB has a a TC Electronic M-One processor and a Lexicon JamMan is run to the stereo inserts of both preamp channels.

For studio gigs I run the PMB output (balanced and modded to a +4dB output) direct to recording, and the unbalanced output to a Raven Labs PHA1 which I use as "Mor-Me" sort of head phone mixer; giving the ability to mix my bass sound with a foldback mix from the console...giving me control of the "more-me" or "more them" I have in the cans.

For amplification I use a SWR California Blonde, which is also usually used by acoustic gtrists, altho a few URB players use this as well. I usually run it in stereo with a 100w powered extension cab and plug into the fx return jack, bypassing the amplifier's preamp section.

I find this gives me a very versatile little rig for both ensemble and solo work (tho I have been looking into an AER Basic Perfromer to replace the SWR...) with ample on-stage monitoring functionality, and for studio gigs I can use just the rack (it all fits in a four space rag bag!) and either phones or the studio's mons.

Max

...it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

Thanks. Yes, it really is rather “hi-fi” (tho I tend to think of it more “full range” and quite true to natural sound of my basses). It also offers a lot of flexibility. Of late, I have been doing quite a few blues gigs (and band members are always a little stunned when I roll in the little SWR amp; which I have in a flight case). To add some grit to the “hi-fi” quality of the setup, I insert a SansAmp BDDI either at the input of the system or just before the amp, and this works quite nicely.

Some of these gigs have had limited PA support, and so one neat trick I have found is to run a little Ampeg 60 watt BA112 from the tuner output of the SWR amp and use this as a monitor for the drummer…so he/she gets a separate monitor of just bass. Seems to work.

Overall the system runs about 220w, which is light by bass rig standards, but I am a big proponent of limiting onstage volume…….and this seems to work too!

Max

...it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

That was kind of my thinking with getting two Mackies, or whatever I decide on - flexibility.

I can run:

one main

two mains

main and monitor

monitor for me, monitor for others

Seems to make sense to me.

I am actually going to try one over the next few days and see how it works.

Originally posted by Max Valentino:

Thanks. Yes, it really is rather “hi-fi” (tho I tend to think of it more “full range” and quite true to natural sound of my basses).

The 'hi-fi' term in bass circles seems to often mean hyped top end and shy mids - I most recently encountered this when trying to explain Acme cabs to EBS's UK importer, who kept cranking up the treble and saying "isn't that hi-fi!"... Natural or accurate seem to be less misunderstood terms.

Originally posted by Big Red 67:

Mine's different in that it's bi-ampmed. Pod rack mount, crossover, swr 750 power, 18" big ben with bag end woofer, 4x8 swr top end.

Now that's proper biamping, none of that 4x10" for the top and 1x15" for the bottom rubbish - I bet that can go terrifyingly loud! Isn't the SWR 750 mono - have you got two of them? :D

What's the crossover frequency set at - 200Hz?

Alex

C ALex,

A lot of the EIGHT-inch drivers out there are essentially woofers with a slightly higher f3 and just a smidgeon more top than the companys' 10" equivalent. That said, they usually have a real tight midrange, sometimes more accurate yet present than the stressed upper mids of many TENS. So they can definitely improve a biamped rig, especially with a good tweeter in conjunction, crossed over a little higher.

You should hear 6" mid drivers in a sealed cab though - wow! So FAST. They make even a mediocre subwoofer sound TIGHT : }

FLITE has a cool 4x4.5" that I'd like to try with both bass AND guitar. FOURTEEN POUNDS! http://www.flitesound.com/products/default.asp?view=display&pid=16&type=3

Now that's proper biamping, none of that 4x10" for the top and 1x15" for the bottom rubbish - I bet that can go terrifyingly loud! Isn't the SWR 750 mono - have you got two of them?

What's the crossover frequency set at - 200Hz?

Alex

It can run mono but is two channel. I may have the model wrong. I have run it with two amps. It's soooo loud and soooo heavy that way though. The 18" Big Ben sounds really nice buy it self too. I set it up to be as flexable as possible.

I have a setup with a two channel hafler pre and a yamaha 350 that can run bass and guitar also. That is a nice and flexy setup too. Alot less weight. The second channel of the hafler sounds cool for the old distorted tube amp sound. From Jack Bruce with cream to the warm bass tones of Paul M.

Yes it is. A two channel amp is still two amps! And the idea of the rig is to have many different setups, I don't always run it that way. If I need more power I put in more amps. The rack I use can hold three or four amps and the crossover and the pod and effects. I have waaaayyyy more then two amps. I have an old Urei that sounds sweet and is loud and heavy past any beleiveable description!

Yea, I guess that my background in recording tech. and electronics isn't good enough for you.

You must know everything.

Then teach, don't condescend.

I don't need to spilt hairs with you to read a schematic.

I am talking about a set up that has the option of many amps and cabs using a electronic crossover to split the frequencies and send the different frequencies to different amps and cabs.

If you want to argue spit at someone else.

Okay, this was a PM:

Did it make you fell better to make me feel bad. I have a disability. I have to use the spell check often. It happened I used the wrong button by mistake. Do I really have to watch every post I post through a microscope so that you don't jump on me?

Worse, what if you scare some young timid kid off that really needs to find the support?

I am not scared of admiting my shortcomings. I think you have been rude. If you had read the first post you would know I am using a crossover.

Are really comfortable treating people like they are stupid?

BR nn,

No, I nailed you because you appeared to say ONE thing, then another instead, then back again. Waffle city? Lack of personal clarity in what the term actually means? Faking it? Hard to tell. Shootin' the schnitz, I find what works is a Shotgun for spreads, a Rifle for tighter work and distance. Say it, don't spray it.

It's possible to saw 8x8 cabs apart and make two 4x8. Seems I saw one 4x8 for sale a couple years ago but the speakers it had were suspect as to suitability. The two basic types of 8" drivers for SR/MI (musical instrument) are woofers, and midrange drivers which don't reproduce lows especially and have short excursions, but have more efficiency and sometimes rach higher while still having fairly even polar patterns.

Pray all you want - I've got my deflector shields up ; } I don't want any misbegotten emotional pleas messing with my psychic space, pretending to be God's wishes when they are entirely selfish.

Prayer is something one should not take lightly. Best to say Let Thy Work Be Done, May the Blessings Be and not try to influence the outcome.

Archived