Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alice In Chains - Unplugged

Tenstrum

Picked up the DVD this weekend. Incredible performance. Mike Inez is a good solid bass player. Have a hard time getting the line for No Excuses out of my head. Sad that Layne is gone...

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is one of the better MTV unplugged performances I've seen. Layne was such an awesome vocalist...{sigh}...why do so many people need to be emotionally damaged to be great artists? It's like a cruel joke.

"For instance" is not proof.

Layne looked horrible during that show. It's good that they were able to get acceptable performances out of him, sometimes after several takes of a song. The finished result is a fine live album.

Alice in Chains was a great band.

i have gotten more into their last album. the production really throws me off, but the songs are strangely infectious.

the review i read of the unplugged performance said that by removing effects and distortion alice in chains show that their songs are really well-written and melodic. i have always agreed.

i can't say that i'll miss the band, though, since jerry cantrell is still active writing songs. when dirt came out, i didn't realize how much he sang live and in the studio. if it weren't for staley's unique voice, i doubt they'd need him for much.

robb.

robb., you'd probably love Jerry's solo CD Degradation Trip, volumes 1 & 2 . The "special edition" of this album is actually how Jerry initially intended it to be released. The record label didn't want to release a double CD because they thought it was too big of a financial risk; they didn't think it would sell. Thankfully it did sell and they eventually released the double CD like it was originally intended. Good stuff. Sounds like it should have been the next AiC album. I do miss Layne's voice on it.

Originally posted by robb.:

if it weren't for staley's unique voice, i doubt they'd need him for much.

I love Jerry, and I second and third and fourth and fifth Bump's recommendation to acquire Degradation Trip Vols. 1 & 2; Jerry wrote all the best AIC material, and he continues to write great hard rock songs today. However, it was Layne's "special sauce" (especially through the Dirt record, which arguably can be considered his "prime") that truly made AIC more than just a really good hard rock band. Layne was truly one of the great rock singers, and had a unique and powerful style that is still influencing many singers today.

All you gotta do is listen to "Love, Hate, Love" from Facelift to remind yourself why Layne mattered.

"Expectations are the enemy of music." - Mike Keneally

Hi! My band is... my band is... HALF ZAFTIG | Half Zaftig on MySpace | The Solo Stuff

Archived