Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Band Moocher pissing me off

dohhhhh6

I called my guitarist today before band practice and ask, "Do you need to use my guitar again?" He said, "Yeah!" (in a rather, you idiot! manner." I then told him he needs to buy new strings, he hung up.

My guitarist has been using my Squier Strat for the last month and a half (or longer, not sure) because he broke his D string and has no money to buy new guitar strings (5 dollars....). It's also pissing me off how he's been using my cables and my pics. The only thing he uses at rehearsal are his amp and his strap. That's it!

He told me he would pay 100 dollars towards the active PA speaker for vocals, has he? No.

I've spent over 500 dollars on mics, etc for the band, and he won't even spend 5 freakin' dollars for new strings!

God, how should I approach this??? It's aggravating me like hell becuase he's relying on me for EVERYTHING! If I wasn't in the band, he wouldn't be able to even freakin' play! That's pathetic. It's not like I'm asking for a quarter million dollars! Just 5! And it's for his own instrument! Not like buying the drummer new drumsticks!

Please help sympathize with me! I feel like me head's going to explode!

Edit: I'd like add I've blown this out of a proportion a bit as I've recently been in an accident (dislocated my knee playing football) that's got me in a really bad mood. Usually (as I have many weeks before, this wouldn't be nearly a big deal. Also, he apologized at practice for sounding mean on the phone.

In Skynyrd We Trust

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He told me he would pay 100 dollars for the active PA speaker for vocals, has he? No.

I've spent over 500 dollars on mics, etc for the band, and he won't even spend 5 freakin' dollars for new strings!

wow, an Active speaker for 100.00!?

pretty good deal.

i totally understand what you mean, my old guitarist was like that too. cept, the only thing, although i found a new guitarist, my drummer is still friends with the Old one, so they still practice together. that really pisses me off, it's more like he's saying, "Oh, well, you might not have liked him, but instead, were kicking YOU out". so although we have a new guitarist, and a lot better gear, we hardly ever practice. sorry if that sounds confusing.

personally, i would get really mad at him, and tell him to step up or get out. i mean, think of it this way, do you really want to play shows with a guy like that. and if you get big, do you really want to spend time touring with a guy like that. he might even screw you over by forgeting a cable or something for a show.

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

I used to play in a band with a guy like that. It got so bad, that even though the guy owned his own Gibson SG, he would want to play my Epiphone Les Paul Jr. Eventually, I just got so tired of bringing it for him to play that I gave the guitar to a girlfriend. If someone really wants to play, they gotta pay their own way.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

i mad about the fact that he wont pay for guitar strings.

This thread just ruined my night. I was going to go out happy and hang out with some friends...but in the back of my mind i'll just be thinking..."this guy wont go out and buy guitar strings".

I'm sure all of my conversations will go like this:

hot girl#1: jason, you're quite handsome

hot girl#2: Yes, i agree with number 1

me: He wont pay for guitar strings.

back to your scenario tho:

Tell him no. Start an argument and let him try to prove his point. maybe halfway through the argument he'll see that he was wrong.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

Originally posted by bikertrash:

That IS pathetic. My guitar player is almost that bad. No car, no drivers license, no money, no job, half the time his stuff doesn't work...

And he's...52 years old.

Guy's like that never change.

And Yeah, welcome to this buisness we call show.

This sounds like all the drummers I know. The drummer in my main band- no car, license, 1 set of sticks to his name. Another drummer I play with- no car, no license, no job, 7000 dollar DW drumset, odd huh? Drummer in my other band- car, license, job, school, no drumset.

I don't understand people like this or why others put up with people like this.

He either buys strings and starts bringing his own gear or he's gone. Plain and simple. As I stated quite some time ago: guitarists are more plentiful than hydrogen in the universe. I'm certain you can find someone else who'll play with your rockin' teenage combo.

I was in a band with a similar situation. It wasn't that he did it because he was a mooch, but rather his finances with two kids and a wife that spent a lot of money were a cause it seemed. I bought him drum heads, sticks, hell - even put gas in his car once. He did manage to kick me $20 once at least.

In your situation, I'd find a new guitar player. It seems he's not making any effort to help. If not, take his gig money and put it towards what he owes. That's fair.

Buy a set of strings, wrap them around his moneyless neck and......... :evil:

Let your speech be better than silence, or be silent.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

"Rindase!"

"Rendirme? Que se rinda su abuela, *#@!^$"

Originally posted by dhurstlmt:

Buy a set of strings, wrap them around his moneyless neck and......... :evil:

Bass strings would work best for this, a low b would would quite well.
"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

Originally posted by Big Red 67:

Fire him, there are a lot of guitar players out there.

Seconded. My guitar player doesn't have a job at present and his car's shot, but he makes arrangements without inconveniencing the band and takes care of business. And he's 19! If he can do it, I can't see why your guitar player can't.

:wave:

Are we havin' fun yet?

Havin' fun is why this guy is in your band. It certainly isn't an effort to become pro.

Because in the circles I travel (bottom rung of semi-pro!) no one would ever borrow an instrument to play. Instruments are as sacred as the inside of your mother's purse.

The last time I was in an extreme emergency (such as my rig was stolen) I bought another one. Now I know I can justify dropped some hundreds on an instrument...

But this guy can drop a few pennies on a set of strings. What, he doesn't eat? Smoke? Drink? Buy Mountain Dew?

The few bucks isn't the issue. The issue is the lack of professional demeanor.

Criminy...most of my seventh grade students are more professional than this. And the few that aren't are constantly preached at by the others.

So, tell him borrowing guitars is no way to make it in the biz. And your guitar has diarrhea.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Jason said:

hot girl#1: jason, you're quite handsome

hot girl#2: Yes, i agree with number 1

me: He wont pay for guitar strings.

ROFLMAO!

As for the topic, if you consistantly enable the moocher, then the both of you have a problem. If you fix your problem, he will fix his or he'll just move on. Either way, your problem is solved.

Lady, I'd go with what the rest said: either confront him with it and (threaten to) fire his lousy *ss, or suck it up and give in.

That said, it's always easier when you're on the other side looking in: my current band has practice once every month, and that really pisses me off. But I can't seem to tell 'em I've had enough of it. As much as I want to move on, it's easier to stay and be unhappy.

So in a way, we both is in the same mess :)

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Then take his underwear and give him an atomic wedgie. That is usually a good solution. After I get done here I am going to call Ariel Sharon there in Isreal and let him in on the secret. :D

Let your speech be better than silence, or be silent.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

"Rindase!"

"Rendirme? Que se rinda su abuela, *#@!^$"

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

[QB]Are we havin' fun yet?

Havin' fun is why this guy is in your band. It certainly isn't an effort to become pro. [QB]

C'mon, Dave. You know damned well once you become pro and work with a major label they have lackeys do all that crap for you. He's just practicing up for when he hits it big!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Originally posted by Da LadY In Tha Pink Dress:

My guitarist has been using my Squier Strat for the last month and a half (or longer, not sure) because he broke his D string and has no money to buy new guitar strings (5 dollars....). It's also pissing me off how he's been using my cables and my pics. The only thing he uses at rehearsal are his amp and his strap. That's it!

He told me he would pay 100 dollars towards the active PA speaker for vocals, has he? No.

God, how should I approach this???

http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/issues/09_02/images/youre-fired.jpg

Tell him you've got an opportunity to rent your guitar out, and he can be one of the bidders. The cost is $2.50/rehearsal payable in advance. If he's smart enough to do the math, then keep him. If he's not, then let him sit there without a guitar while the rest of you rehearse until he has enough of it and leaves.

Btw, this isn't the same guy who's going to help you put the next tuning pegs on your bass is it? If so, you might want to ask yourself if he has earned the loanership of your guitar...just a thought.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Fire the jerk. If he's too sorry to buy a set of strings for a guitar, in my opinion he's worthless. Guitarist are plentiful, and you can find someone with a professional attitude.

I've both taught and worked with many young musicians who demonstrate a responsible attitude and maturity well beyond their years.

Mama's boy needs to grow up, and maybe a good kick in the butt, ie, "You're fired!!!", will wake him up.

Good luck....

Rock on.....

Tommy

Not to get too "Dr. Phil" on you but, my friend, you are an enabler. My advice is, if you can't deep-six this moocher, invent a relative or friend who's starting to take guitar lessons and tell your guitarist that your loaning your guitar to this fictional person instead of him. If your guitarist doesn't get the hint then, I'd say you have no choice but to fire him.

Lady,

I won't do much more here but second what's been said.

Guitars are, if anything, too common, and "guitarists" even more so. This guy has no, repeat NO excuses here.

In my youth I walked to more than one practice or recital because strings were a more reasonable expenditure than mass transit or lunch.

You can do better.

How's the knee feeling?

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Find a new guitarist...

Observation; do not buy gear in common, especially in a band with no paying gigs. What happens when the band breaks up? (notice I said WHEN, not IF).

Also, buying gear in common has been known to spontaneously dismantle the band as it seems to be some type of catalyst for the said event.

Archived