Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I broke one of my machine heads (tuning peg)

Connie Z

I am a horrible person. :(

I was doing a foolish thing, by attempting to tune my bass to the song I was listening to on the radio, and apparently... I was tuning too high, and all of a sudden... snap. :o

I thought I had broken a string (which I've never done before), but was then mortified to find out that it was actually the peg part of the tuning knob that broke. :eek: It kind of 'sheared' off.

It is an Ibanez GSR200. I have ordered a new Ibanez machine head from my local music store, but I am wondering if I should replace them all with something better, that won't break.

What do you think? Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

My first rehearsal with my new band is in two days. Luckily my guitar player has a bass that he is bringing with him.

Thanks so much... connie z

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. That's pretty impressive. What were you listening to? Did it feature Stanley Clarke on a piccolo bass? :)

Well, if you take it in to a local store, they can probably tell you if the holes on the headstock will accept some standard sized tuning machines. If so, then you can take your pick. Most any decent ones you buy, if they're some sort of reputable name (Gotoh, for example) will probably be a marked improvement from what was on there stock. I've found that some less expensive basses (like the Squire P-bass I'm holding now) tend to have plastic or some kind of polymer machine heads, coated with chrome paint. I wouldn't guess those kinds of heads would stand up to too much excess tension.

I've got some Gotoh mini tuners on my 5-string Jazz (my new baby), and I have to say I love them. They'd probably fit on your bass, as well. I've had good luck with Gotoh hardware. You can get a lot of parts from them at Warmoth.com

unkownroadband.com - step into the unkown :-)

I hate to spend your money (but it's better than spending mine...), but I recommend you just fix the one peg. Save your money for another bass. Nothing wrong with what you are playing, but when your band gets kicking, you may enjoy a better quality bass. I'm not talking about spending thousands (though it is fun), but just go up a level or two in the quality. And your current one can serve as a backup (in case something breaks!).

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

wow

i have never heard of that happening

glad to see you made it through ivan safely!

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

Sorry to post again, but I missed commenting on something earlier....

Originally posted by Connie Z:

What the hell is that?!?!

You attempted something that you probably should have been able to do, but something broke. Whatever - maybe you were a bit foolish, maybe you need to develop a feel for it. Maybe. Most likely it was and inferior part that didn't go bad under "normal" circumstances, but probably it would have given out at some point.

This is about an action, not about the type of person you are.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

Sorry to post again, but I missed commenting on something earlier....

What the hell is that?!?!

I agree with TC on all counts. The failure of a part on a bass is inconsequential, it happens.

It's replacable, and likely, with better results.

You, on the other hand, are not replacable; and certainly not 'horrible'.

Maybe your post was sarcastic, but (rest assured) your contribution to this forum is priceless.

I think I may speak for many here on the forum!

Best!!,

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Thank you everyone for your moral support, and your info! :wave:

I wasn't exactly being sarcastic... but I was feeling like a bad mother at the moment, as I'd let my baby get hurt. :(:)

I have placed an order today for a new set of Grover machine heads. I was going to buy the Gotoh, online, but my local music store was able to give me a fairly comparable price, and said that they were a good product. I decided against replacing with the Ibanez replacement product, since it was an Ibanez that broke. (Of course, I may find out that Ibanez uses Grover!)

They told me that I may need to drill out the holes, because these will probably be bigger. I am going to ask my guitar player to help me, cause he is great at building guitars and stuff like that.

So thank you again for the tips and VERY nice words! :D

... connie z

Hags2K,

The Gotoh were really reasonably priced, at something like $30 for the set of 4. And, I could even get them individually if I wanted, which was very nice. I was very surprized at such a good price.

But when I got to the store, they were able to order the Grover brand, which were "listed" for $59, and gave them to me for about $44 with tax.

I figured that I probably would have had to pay for shipping, but the Gotoh were still a great price. Next time, I'll try those! Thanks for telling me about them. :thu:

I'll report on my Grover's when I get them on.

... connie z

Maybe your post was sarcastic, but (rest assured) your contribution to this forum is priceless.

HEAR ! HEAR !

Connie, you have nothing to feel bad about. Stuff wears out, no big deal.

However, I am concerned about your comment about the need to enlarge the holes to mount the new tuners. You should not have to do this! I checked the specs on the Ibanez website, and while they do not give specifics, the tuners they use look to be standard sized (probably 9/16"). There should be proper sized replacements available. Measure the diameter of the hole once you remove the old tuner to get the correct measurement. DO NOT MODIFY THE BASS!

Good Luck

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Connie, Just checked another site. The tuners on your bass are Grover GB7 type. Warmoth sells them for $7.50 each or a set of 4 for $30.00

As I said before, there is NO NEED to modify your bass in any way.

Cheers

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Originally posted by BigKahuna855:

glad to see you made it through ivan safely!

And here comes Ivan again!

I was also thinking of upgrading the whole guitar. Nothing personal, but I have never liked Ibanez's (probably goes back to a very self-absorbed guitarist with an Ibanez I knew.)

Good luck with the installation of the new pegs.

ATM

Buy a full set of Gotoh or Hipshot Ultra Lite tuners and you'll never have to think about them again. Both are reasonably priced and are good tuners. I have one or the other on all of my basses and I can't say enough good things about them.

While you're at it, you might want to pick up a Hipshot de-tuner for your E string.

Thank you everyone for your moral support, and your info! :wave:

I wasn't exactly being sarcastic... but I was feeling like a bad mother at the moment, as I'd let my baby get hurt. :(:)

I have placed an order today for a new set of Grover machine heads. I was going to buy the Gotoh, online, but my local music store was able to give me a fairly comparable price, and said that they were a good product. I decided against replacing with the Ibanez replacement product, since it was an Ibanez that broke. (Of course, I may find out that Ibanez uses Grover!)

They told me that I may need to drill out the holes, because these will probably be bigger. I am going to ask my guitar player to help me, cause he is great at building guitars and stuff like that.

So thank you again for the tips and VERY nice words! :D

... connie z

Many manufacturers make use of other pouplar brands for hardware, since it doesn't always make sense to try and improve upon something someone else already makes well. I think that's why a even some Fender-brand basses come with Badass II bridges :)

Anyway, I think Bump mentioned hipshot, which I've used before and loved as well (and I love their bridge designs, too!). I have to say, I don't have much experience with Grovers. I've heard they're good, but I don't know myself. Let us know how they work out.

If they don't, Bump's suggestion of a hipshot d-tuner and some Gotoh or Hipshot tuners would most assuredly suit your needs, and then some!

Hags2K,

The Gotoh were really reasonably priced, at something like $30 for the set of 4. And, I could even get them individually if I wanted, which was very nice. I was very surprized at such a good price.

But when I got to the store, they were able to order the Grover brand, which were "listed" for $59, and gave them to me for about $44 with tax.

I figured that I probably would have had to pay for shipping, but the Gotoh were still a great price. Next time, I'll try those! Thanks for telling me about them. :thu:

I'll report on my Grover's when I get them on.

... connie z

Oh, wow. I missed this the first time I went back through this thread, I guess. I didn't realize I got my own, personalized reply! I feel so warm and fuzzy inside...

Anyway, my last reply still stands, with the addendum of some extra grattitude and apprecation.

All the name brand tuners are good nowdays. It's ceased to be an issue. Most decent basses use name brand tuners, and they come in all sizes. Unless going to a radically different configuration one should not have to drill out the holes.

The Ultralights by Hipshot are what I'd recommend for anyone looking for a retrofit. Less neck diving, and very sweet pieces of engineering. Unless one is going for locking types. The Sperzels are also works of art and you can change a string in about 5 seconds with one of them; no post windings make them very easy to microtune.

We have it good : }

EDIT: BTW, HOWDY, Hags! : }

Originally posted by :

All the name brand tuners are good nowdays. It's ceased to be an issue. Most decent basses use name brand tuners, and they come in all sizes. Unless going to a radically different configuration one should not have to drill out the holes.

The Ultralights by Hipshot are what I'd recommend for anyone looking for a retrofit. Less neck diving, and very sweet pieces of engineering. Unless one is going for locking types. The Sperzels are also works of art and you can change a string in about 5 seconds with one of them; no post windings make them very easy to microtune.

We have it good : }

EDIT: BTW, HOWDY, Hags! : }

Greetings, oh master of the 510nm wavelength!

Yeah, I'd have to agree about having it good. So many options right at my fintertips, and only a few keystrokes (and dollars) away. I got a brass nut from Warmoth (still need to get a professional to cut it and install it, though!) and some strings and cables from Carvin, all in the span of 15 minutes for a price comparable or beating what I'd get at most any store, even after shipping. Couldn't be much more convenient.

Originally posted by Ace Cracker:

this is really funny my broken bass/tuning peg related moment also involves an ibanez. i snapped the headstock at the G machine practicing a slap line.

Ace - try slapping the strings around where the neck ends on the BODY side. :freak:

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

After the negative Ibanez comments in this thread, I had to go slightly OT and point out that the bass in question is an economy model bass, and most likely made with economy model parts.

This is not to excuse the obvious lack of quality in Ibanez' product spec at this price point, or at various points in their company's history, but they do this with their cheaper models. As does Fender.

Sounds to me like a part that would have nudged me towards an upgrade at some point anyway, along with pickups and such, to polish up the details.

Just my 2 cents.

My 20 year old Ibanez basses are holding up fine.

Oh, and Connie, I agree with the sentiments above. Way too hard on yourself.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Green one,

When you put it that way, it all becomes clear.

I was wrong.

Consider me a changed person, and consider those basses sold.

Thanks for the insight.

Peace,

wraub

On further reflection, since I can really only play Ibanez basses, I will probably just quit playing altogether.

Seems the sensible thing.

Peace,

wraub

Originally posted by wraub:

On further reflection, since I can really only play Ibanez basses, I will probably just quit playing altogether.

Seems the sensible thing.

Peace,

wraub

Originally posted by "#6":

I'm going to have to sell my Carvin too. I think it has Gotoh. I'm afraid to look at my guitars...

I am Rolling On The Floor Laughing! :D:D:D

You guys are waaaaaaay better than Jay Leno!

Thanks for the chuckles. :thu:

...connie z

P.S. I love my Ibanez (except for the electronics and the machine heads :P ) and it ain't goin nowhere. I love the thinness of the neck, and the weight of the body and the look, and I will love the sound when I replace the electronics one of these days!

And when I buy a second bass, well... I guess I may step up to a less 'beginner' model. But I'll always love my first bass.

Originally posted by wraub:

My 20 year old Ibanez basses are holding up fine.

Oh, and Connie, I agree with the sentiments above. Way too hard on yourself.

Peace,

wraub

I'm with you, bro! I've just sold some of my "20 year old Ibanez basses" (two were closer to 30) and they got me very good money. The MIJ Ibanezes are worthy products and are built to last. The Korean ones need more maintenance and replacement parts, but I'm quite happy using them as well.

The best analogy I have is with autos. I've always owned clunkers and replaced broken starters and stuff frequently, but on value I've saved thousands over the purchase price and insurance on new vehicles. I can live and play with my Ibanezes, Carvins, Arias, etc. and change parts without undue stress or rocket science, because it's just hardware. Plus there's enough info in books and on the web to show anyone who can use a screwdriver how to maintain and repair their own instrument.

I do own some vintage basses, and occasionaly they go into the shop for part replacements or repairs, but on those I spend the extra money because I know I'll get good money for them if I ever choose to sell them.

So I really don't undertand the bro-hou-hah about replacing parts on inexpensive instruments. It took me 20 years of playing before I could afford my first Alembic, and maintaining my cheaper instruments made me value my first 4-figure purchase even more.

Not everyone is born with the big bucks to go with their dreams. Please read my Dale Carnegie quote below and think about it.

:thu:

Originally posted by basshappi:

HEAR ! HEAR !

Connie, you have nothing to feel bad about. Stuff wears out, no big deal.

However, I am concerned about your comment about the need to enlarge the holes to mount the new tuners. You should not have to do this! I checked the specs on the Ibanez website, and while they do not give specifics, the tuners they use look to be standard sized (probably 9/16"). There should be proper sized replacements available. Measure the diameter of the hole once you remove the old tuner to get the correct measurement. DO NOT MODIFY THE BASS!

Good Luck

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the info! Well, my replacements that I ordered from the local store will not be in for another week or two I'll be, because due to the hurricane they didn't get ordered in a timely manner.

So, I emailed Warmoth to see if the Gotoh would fit my Ibanez GSR200. They asked for the diameter, which I don't have at the moment. So when I get home, I shall measure that and email them back.

Their prices are excellent.

I am glad to hear that I should not need to modify the bass, because I have naturally bad luck, and goodness knows what may happen!

Thanks! ... connie z

Archived