Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Finds reclusive skill after extended absence

bassopotamus

Sorry for the subject title, I couldnt think of anything else.

Anyways, I just got back from a three week long boat det on the USS Abraham Lincoln, and having only brought a cheap, boat-worthy acoustic bass I was excited to play my jazz.

Well, it seems like I managed to "put my foot in the door" with a technique that I hadn't been able to pull off before, subconsciously or something. And I didnt even find much time to practice on the boat.

Does it ever seem to you guys as though taking leave from your instrument gives you newfound ability/inspiration/direction upon your return???

I have experienced this before, but not to this degree. Many times when I havent jammed with the band in a while, the first session is quite fervent and energetic.

What do you guys call this??? I think that it may have many names and incarnations, but is essentially the same thing all around.

<...mumbles to self and walks away rambling...>

James Fitzgerald

Platinum Member,

Human Race

"I dont buy toys. I buy tools."

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have noticed something sort of like this. There are times when I am trying to learn a particular riff or run that is hard. I work and work at it and feel like I am getting nowhere. If I stick with it I will have gotten nowhere by the end of my practice. However, when I pick up the instrument the next day I can usuall rip whatever I was practicing, no problem. It is sort of the same. I call it practice, but that name doesn't really fit for your situation. If you don't get any good names for it then it is yours to coin.

PS Be ready amoung this bunch for a few "Wise-aker" answers. :D

Let your speech be better than silence, or be silent.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

"Rindase!"

"Rendirme? Que se rinda su abuela, *#@!^$"

I call it the 'Brain Reboot' phenomenon...

Seems like the mind processes things subconsciously when you take a time out from trying to learn something, or when you sleep on it.

I kind of like that feeling in a humorous sort of way. It's like there's a really good musician in my subconscious mind, who's just dying to break out and take over from the conscious mind hack. I feel like saying.."Thanks for showin' up, dude. I really needed a pro to step in and help me with that shit."

:D

I can't account for it when it happens. I try to enjoy it. I've had it happen where some bit I couldn't play now comes to life.

I've also lost abilities that I've had, and needed to work to get them back. I can't account for that either - why some things never leave my fingers while others drop away.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I agree that playing the acoustic had something to do with it. Thats something that I actually like about acoustic basses: they make electrics seem easy.

I use my tacoma to practice a lot and with that bass you really have to hit the right spots to avoid fret buzz. Sweet sounds, though.

This workout has helped my chops immeasurably.

But I think that the phenomenon that I was talking about is something separate from the electric/acoustic difference.

I like the brain reboot idea, thats along the lines of what I was thinking too.

Hmm, the abstract is hard to describe.

James Fitzgerald

Platinum Member,

Human Race

"I dont buy toys. I buy tools."

you could call it:

cerebral practice

or the

One accord phenomenon (what happens when your hands and your head are on the same accord)

the same thing happened to me with those stupid up thumb hits that victow wooten does.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

Archived