Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cab comparison thread

JanJ

okay, as I have mentioned earlier, I am looking for a new cab. So far, I've narrowed it down these cabs:

Mesa 2x12 or 2x10

Acme Low-B2

Schroeder (any kind)

Demeter 3x10

Okay, so here's where you guys come in. First of all, let me say that I've got my heart set on mostly the Mesa and the Demeter, mostly the Demeter, but this is all judging from product descriptions on web pages, etc...

So, can anyone tell me what they know about the Demeter cab; is it any good?

My gear:

Ibanez SR3005ESOL

Korg DTR-2000

Mesa/Boogie Basis M-2000 (For sale)

Mesa/Boogie Powerhouse 1000 (For sale)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never knew Demeter made cabs until I read your post. I just took a look at their site and the cab looks interesting.

450 watts for a 3 x 10 -- you would think it would have a higher power rating.

The B-2 is a 2 x 10 and Acme suggests at least 500 watts...

You have not listed what you will be driving this cab with.....

www.danielprine.com

Yeah, well I am using my Mesa Basis M-2000...

The Faroe Islands are a small group of islands a bit west from norway, a bit south from iceland, and a bit north from scotland

I saw that Humabass uses one... Care to share some info?

My gear:

Ibanez SR3005ESOL

Korg DTR-2000

Dan: Use google ; þ

Jan, just to throw you for a loop {well, probably less than that Demeter one though; I'm thinking maybe Epifani would make more sense;} have you looked at Euphonic Audio ? Or Flite ?

The advantage of any of the light modern designs is what you'll save in shipping charges, which is going to be considerable.

Tórshavn, Faroe Islands

I just did a Google search..looks like a very beautiful place to live...

How is the music scene ?

How is the food? Do you have pizza?

3 months of sunlight ...how do you deal with that?

Thanks

www.danielprine.com

How is the music scene ?

How is the food? Do you have pizza?

3 months of sunlight ...how do you deal with that?

The music scene is somewhere along the lines of small and uninspired, although there are some great bands. The food is mainly fish and sheep, although I myself almost only eat junkfood... Mostly pizza, because I'm currently in my pizza-chef period... Free pizza, ain't life grand :D

About the sunlight... :( The weather around here is horrible; usually fog and wind and rain...

And to the EA/Flite notes:

I don't really mind how much it costs, it's only a couple of bucks difference, I just want a great cab :P

My gear:

Ibanez SR3005ESOL

Korg DTR-2000

: The advantage of any of the light modern designs is what you'll save in shipping charges, which is going to be considerable.

JanJ: I don't really mind how much it costs, it's only a couple of bucks difference, I just want a great cab :P

Well then.

I guess this should suit ya : } --

http://www.royerlabs.com/photos/NAMM2004/P12_greg_amp_LG.jpg

Boy - that's tough.

There are lots of players that use Mesa and SWR (and Ampeg, though usually not the cab pictured above :~| ) and are very happy. These are the more commonly sold brands in the US (they are most readily available in music stores).

People with Acmes love them (though the power consumption isn't cheap from what I hear). Not enough info on your other two choices. I would throw in other manufaturers who make very nice sounding units, and you could end up with quite a list!

Much of this choice comes down to what type of sound you want. If you want a "quality" cab, you're in the right place. If you want a specific sound, you are going to have to hear it yourself. I've tested cabs, and have found that there is a very noticeable difference in the coloring of top quality cabs. They all sound pretty good, but when you put them side-by-side you find the one you like. Because of that, it's very difficult to advise you. All I can say is that you should be happy with a quality cab.

I've heard it said hear that Acme colors the sound the least.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I will vouch for Acme. Sounds great and well made. And while they do eat a lot of power, my amp only puts out 700 watts into a 2 ohm load. I don't know what that works out to for a 4 ohm load (GB?), but it certainly gets the job done in style. You may play in bands that are a lot louder, but I hope not.

Also, I have found that going back to a regular speaker (SWR, Eden, Ampeg, etc) is tough, so if you gig in places that may have backlines that you want to use, I suggest going with something a little more (for lack of a better word) lo-fi.

The thing is, there are so many good cabs available now! I imported my Acmes 5 years ago and the decision wasn't too hard back then. But now?!!

Epifani

Schroeder

Bergantino

Euphonic Audio

Accugroove

Acme

etc etc

That would be my shortlist nowadays, looking at 1x12", 2x10" or 10"+12" or similar from each maker. I've listed them in approximate order of -hifi-ness, the Acmes sounding much like plugging into big studio monitors and colouration (often in a good way) being added as you head towards Epifani. However, they're all fine and modern sounding cabs.

The question is what sound do you want? But to be honest with you, your technique, bass, preamp and EQ will make more difference to you tone than the variation between the cabs. You really can't go wrong! :D

Alex

I would really not take too seriously your ordering there, Alex ; } ...Depending on the cab, and not the brand, some changes would be made. But even at the brand level, you are arguably off. I won't name names, but one's own bias might have misplaced a few ; }

I think the important distinctions are that some cabs are really not close to flat or especially phase accurate (just as important and inter-related), and some with more modern designs and more R&D into driver design, are.

Well, quite a few suggestions, I must say, but I think I will go with the Demeter, though I haven't heard, it sort of speaks to me in some way... Plus, I'm really into the 3x10 config. Any other brands that make 3x10 cabs?

On a little side note; I took some time today to get to know my amp (a Mesa M-2000 Basis) a bit better, and all I can say is; WOW!!! This amp can do it all!!! So many possibilities... Have any of you ever used this amp?

Anyways, I e-mailed Demeter, nd they say it is a 450 W at 6 Ohms cab... But I'm afraid that my amp can put out a bit more power than that (100-150 W more). Is that going to be a problem in any way?

My gear:

Ibanez SR3005ESOL

Korg DTR-2000

Originally posted by JanJ:

Anyways, I e-mailed Demeter, nd they say it is a 450 W at 6 Ohms cab... But I'm afraid that my amp can put out a bit more power than that (100-150 W more). Is that going to be a problem in any way?

That should be OK, you can actually get away with an even more powerful amp as long as you are careful about clipping.

That should be OK, you can actually get away with an even more powerful amp as long as you are careful about clipping.
Ironically, with a more powerful amplifier, there is les chance of clipping anyway - since one won't have to drive the amp so hard to get a desired sound pressure level. As has been covered here many times, people arguably burn more drivers with underpower than overpower.

Actually, I'm a little underwhelmed by those power handling figures for the price, not to mention the lack of fuller {if invariably misleading ; } specs. What's the weight? What's the driver choice?

The weight is 55 lbs. Dunno about the drivers... You would buy the 2x12+8? Hmm... Not me, I'm in a total 10's place at the moment... Lighter too :P

Oh yeah, I guess I forgot to mention that I'm looking for a light cab, something to use for smaller locations, for the bigger ones I have my Mesa Powerhouse 1000, but it's just too big to haul around with me... But I guess I'll probably end up buying in the dark, since I can't hear any new equipment where I live :(

My gear:

Ibanez SR3005ESOL

Korg DTR-2000

Being in a total 1's0 place is like saying your eyes do the listening instead of your ears. Because 10 is just a number that can sound many different ways.

But a couple other numbers do mean something. There's that 6-ohm load. You'de be much better off with a four-ohm load like the Epifani 310 has. And you'd be better off with their 750 watt RMS figure. And that 55 pound wieght of the Demeter, like the rather low RMS, indicates a rather cheap driver is being used (I'm sure not seing any weight shaving via construction innovation anyway).

I'm just not thinking it's going to be a competitive cabinet. The Epifani I'm referring to is. So are some of these others. And if I was concerned primarily about weight I'd be getting one or two of the Flite three-ways.

Originally posted by   :

I'm just not thinking it's going to be a competitive cabinet.

I'm with you on that. If you're willing to shell out a few more bucks, I'd get an Accugroove Tri 210L. In their own words:

Tri 210L: Lightweight Neo 3-Way Cabinet Design

with AccuSwitch

Patent Pending

Can you say unbelievable? This cab is so deep & clean it hurts. It goes lower than most 4x10 cabs while having more mid presence & a more developed high end. Two of these cabinets together are ridiculous.

· 2 - 10" Neo Extreme Woofer with die-cast aluminum frames

· 1 - 6" Mid Range & 2 - Soft Textile Dome Tweeters w/ attenuators

· 2 Speakons & 2- 1/4" jacks & Removable 2" Pop-in Casters

· Freq. Re. & SPL: 39 Hz - 18 kHz (35 Hz@-6db) 103 dB SPL

· Dimensions: 21 ¼"H x 24 ¾"W x 18 ¼"D - Weight: 57 lbs.

· Power Rating: 600 watts RMS at Both 4 & 8 Ohms w/ AccuSwitch

· Retail: $1,349.00

JeremyC has 2 (two!) and appears to like them a bit... ;) I've yet to hear a bad word about these cabs, and would be confident that they could comfortably hang with the various 3x10" designs on the market.

Alex

I see EBS totally stunk up their web design. Damn eurogloss! Nothing like a crappy little forced window that won't expose all the product info at once when you are on 1600x1200. Style above substance: pfah!

EDIT: Not to mention you can't open the desired category in another tab or window or point to it with its own URL Stooopid effing !^!%!@$!!!

Archived