Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What makes a GOOD musician.

Big Red 67

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What makes a good musi-can?

I like decent speakers in the ceiling, good magazines to read sitting on a clean magazine stand, and fresh toilet paper.

If you would have asked What Makes a Good Musician, I would have said, The Clothes.

I just know I'm deficient in these philosophical pondering / analysis threads ; }

A positive attitude.

A sense of purpose.

A desire for whirled pease and community getalongness.

Without these traits musicians (and others) tend to turn bad and become serial killers, or eBay swindlers.

Oh, and punctuality, the ability to count to 4 repetitively, and a bucket o' skillz.

- Matt W.

I think it's tough to define - all the "non musical" stuff has to be in place like a cooperative attitude and punctuality (that Leland Sklar article had lots of this stuff). And some level of competency on your instrument(s). This is often defined by the skill of the folks with which you hang out!

When my son was taking french horn lessons, his teacher described "levels" with some interesting labels. At the time, he described my son as playing at college level (defined by the difficulty of the music). He described himself as a "professional" player. That meant he could go in and sub for major concerts or Broadway plays. Many of the local music teachers are at this level. He said that the next level was "virtuoso", and you only had so many for each instrument. These were the folks you see as soloists on TV.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Rock and funk and blues and country and all the variations make what a good musician is harder to define than classical music.

In classical music you are playing written music. You are either able to play it or not play it. Once you can play it, than the question of how well you can play it comes into play.

In our world of electric bass playing and pop music, there are many people who cannot read, who cannot play anything other than one tiny sub-set of a style, who can only play the music they have written. And we consider many of these people to be brilliant and we worship at their feet. Or so to speak.

Are they great artists? Could be.

Are they great musicians? Only if we limit the definition to the ability to create and express oneself.

If we add in the ability to play with other people, fit into various kinds of bands, read and interpret music, play without rehearsal, etc. we have to eliminate a lot of people whose playing we love. But there's nothing wrong with that. We can still love them.

Listening

Playing

Kicking butt.

So what makes a WELL musician?

Let your speech be better than silence, or be silent.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

"Rindase!"

"Rendirme? Que se rinda su abuela, *#@!^$"

Originally posted by jeremyc:

Rock and funk and blues and country and all the variations make what a good musician is harder to define than classical music.

In classical music you are playing written music. You are either able to play it or not play it. Once you can play it, than the question of how well you can play it comes into play.

In our world of electric bass playing and pop music, there are many people who cannot read, who cannot play anything other than one tiny sub-set of a style, who can only play the music they have written. And we consider many of these people to be brilliant and we worship at their feet. Or so to speak.

Are they great artists? Could be.

Are they great musicians? Only if we limit the definition to the ability to create and express oneself.

If we add in the ability to play with other people, fit into various kinds of bands, read and interpret music, play without rehearsal, etc. we have to eliminate a lot of people whose playing we love. But there's nothing wrong with that. We can still love them.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Excellent point, Jeremy. Its about 830am here in NY and I'm having my 2nd cup of joe right about now, trying to wake up, trying not to think about my job right now. But yea, what Jeremy said. That was a great point.

Everytime I think I'm getting good or better I come in here and realize I have merely taken a baby-step towards becoming a better musician.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Archived