Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Urban flava: free summer concerts

_Sweet Willie_

You've gotta luv it when a city supports free music in the summer. I got to see Lady Bo and the Family Jewels (including Wally Malone on bass) playing at a park in San Francisco a couple of summers ago. Great stuff.

NYC also has plenty of music free to the public, especially during the summer.

Earlier this week I was walking around the E. 30s and 40s during my lunch break when my ears picked up the sounds of funky music -- live funky music. Lo and behold, I cut over on E. 40th and in a building's outdoor plaza between Park and Lex was a funky 5-piece making other folks besides myself pull up a seat, take a load off, and enjoy some music for a while: heads bobbin', mouths smilin'. :thu:

The bass player appeared to be none other that Kim Clarke (can you say "Defunkt"?), playing the very Elrick w/ which she is pictured here:

Kim Clarke in NYC

I only had time to catch a couple of tunes, but it reminded me of how cool it is when a city supports the arts, and how much its residents (and workers) seem to appreciate it.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just mentioned Kim Clarke next door. She rules!

For summer music here we have lawn tractors. Naw, just kiddin': it gets pretty good here during the summer. But every time there was something good I wanted to hear I had to go do a gig instead : {

EDIT: Wow, she's been out with one of my other heros: Joe Henderson! One of the funkiest jazz tenors ever! I'm glad to see he is still around, unlike Grover Washington Jr, who was more a funky R&B type much of the time.

Every summer Buffalo has a series of concerts called Thursdays at the Square (it used to be Thursday IN the Square until somebody figured out what the acronym would be). Every Thursday from May to September there are free outdoor concerts downtown featuring two or three local and national acts. Over the years, I've seen Bo Diddley, the Goo Goo Dolls, Jeff Healey, David Wilcox, the Cowboy Junkies, the Smithereens, Marcia Ball, the Derek Trucks Band, Cracker, Living Colour, the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Robert Cray, Southside Johnny, Leon Russell, and the Fabulous Thunderbirds (I'm so pissed that I couldn't make it to Robert Randolph this year). A warm summer night, a cold beer in hand, some friends, and some great free entertainment - I look forward to it every year!

Hartford has three different venues on three different days with free, live music (two at night, one at lunch). Most towns in CT have a "Concert on the Green" kinda night most weeks of the Summer, but Hartford's are the best around here.

Unfortunately, an autistic 4 year old makes sitting on the grass for a spell, listening to some music a little tough.

But I can always go out after bed time! ;)

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

On my 21st birthday I got to take in Al Green for free in Central Park. This, of course, was back in 1991...

However, a sunny day and Al Green singing his ass off make for a solid contribution to a celebration of one's birth. Trust me.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Archived