Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tab Downloads

Geno

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Geno. Welcome aboard. You can also try www.basstabarchieves.com.

Now that you've made your first post, let me clue you in before Bump has you for starters...

1) Before posting, use the search feature in the upper right corner and see if anything you are about to post hasn't been posted by about forty noobs already this year.

2) Learn to read sheet music and don't depend on tabs. You will thank me later.

3) Keep a sense of humor and a thick skin. You will need it, or you will leave.

4) Some of the best, the brightest, the most knowledgable bassist you will every converse with in your meager little life reside on this forum (myself excluded, I'm just a no-talent, hack, wise-ass). Ask good questions, get great answers. Ask dumb questions or wander off in the "such and such sucks" threads, or don't use the search feature, well prepare to don Nomex.

Welcome to the Lowdown, braddah.

Man, I wish they taught spelling in California public schools.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Stop encouraging him with TABS!!!

Music is the way to go.

Unless you're an really really new beginner.

Or you just really suck at listening to music..... :D

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

I agree with reading music being the best way to go... I just don't do it! So I do it the old fashioned way, by ear. Usually only relying on tab If I think I'm wrong to give me another perspective and another set of ears, sometime it helps sometimes it's crap. Kinda like posting in a new forum. Thanks for the links.

I must admit I used a tab to learn Neal Young's Rockin' In The Free World (or whatevahdahellitzcalled) a few hours before a gig. I hadn't ever heard it and the guitarist of that time wanted to do it. How wrong could the tab for THAT one be anyway? ; }

Originally posted by Geno:

I do it the old fashioned way, by ear. Usually only relying on tab If I think I'm wrong to give me another perspective and another set of ears, sometime it helps sometimes it's crap.

Funny, I'm the other way around. I take a tab, play it along with the cd and then decide if the tab is correct or not. I once heard a guy saying
"you must learn to play by ear. 99% of all tabs are WRONG !!!
and at that point I really, REALLY felt like asking him how the hell he supposes that tabs are written out to begin with ...

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Originally posted by Mr. Phil:

Stop encouraging him with TABS!!!

Music is the way to go.

Unless you're an really really new beginner.

Or you just really suck at listening to music..... :D

I don't think we were encouraging him. My initial replay specifically pointed out he should learn standard notation. Realize most of the noobs (to the bass, not necessarily to the forum) make the decision to play guitar before going thourgh any trouble to learn music theory and reading standard notation.

Not to make prognostications, but if he sticks with it for more that a couple years and actually has mates that do original music, he will learn, like it or not. Try running to the corner copywright attorney with tab notation! IF he ends up like the majority of garage band and corner bar cover hacks, (please note, I have nothing against cover bands, but everyone should aspire to learn and do more) he doesn't need anything but tabs. Theory and notation would be a waste.

Give him the tabs, let his love of music and the instrument grow and fourish, the rest will come. It's kinda like a growing up process.

No animals were harmed during the reply.

Social Critic: (please note, I have nothing against cover bands, but everyone should aspire to learn and do more)
Ah, gimme a BREAK! ; } - I't nice not to care for a couple years about writing, recording, playing for audiences that don't need it, trying to get band members who can actually come up with the right stuff for the tunes.

And it's great just enjoying the bass through learning and changing/augmenting other peoples' lines. Still get to "compose" during practice alone, and solos. Oh, and when stretching some non-discript tune past 6 minutes with totally new changes and juxtapositions - ; }

Welcome Geno,

Give Fret Play a try. Unfortunately, it's mostly guitar, but there are some bass tabs slipped in.

In order of preference, I go with sheet music, chord arrangement, then tab. Of course, I grew up playing upright in orchestra, so sheet music seems the most natural to me. Since everyone else here seems to prefer actual notation as well, could somebody send links for that as well since my own web searches have turn up zilch for sheet music? I would rather head down to the local music shop than pay some website for sheet music.

A lot of online tabs are wrong. I try and go with a chord arrangement and work off that. Really gets messed up when somebody forgets to mention the capo.

Anyway, good day.

ATM

I think that Mxtabs.net is the best site for guitar, bass, and drum tabs. it also has ratings and corrections on all of its tabs.

welcome to the Low Down my friend. :D

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

Originally posted by   :

Social Critic: (please note, I have nothing against cover bands, but everyone should aspire to learn and do more)
Ah, gimme a BREAK! ; } - I't nice not to care for a couple years about writing, recording, playing for audiences that don't need it, trying to get band members who can actually come up with the right stuff for the tunes.

And it's great just enjoying the bass through learning and changing/augmenting other peoples' lines. Still get to "compose" during practice alone, and solos. Oh, and when stretching some non-discript tune past 6 minutes with totally new changes and juxtapositions - ; }

No argument there from me. That's why the first sentence of the second paragraph goes a little like this... "Not to make prognostications, but if he sticks with it for more that a couple years and actually has mates that do original music, he will learn, like it or not."

In time, it all comes. If he likes it, he'll stick with it, the theory will come because the universe consist of more than three chords. Hit me about six months ago because I got tired of not knowing what Jeremy was babbling about.

Originally posted by   :

What he said. I studied classical guitar in college for a semester. I'm not sure why, I guess I just wanted to give it a shot. Well I learned enough about reading music there, so I kind of just carried on with books after that. I take about 15 minutes a day, during practice, doing exercises reading music.

But I rely heavily on Tab, especially when I want to learn new tunes.

And cover bands are a lot of fun, man. My cover project takes pride in knowing we play our tunes just as good, if not better, than the original.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

I'd be lying if I said I don't use tabs. My favorite book right now is Black Sabbaths "We Sold our Souls for Rock 'n Roll" with the tableclature. I do use them on occation because I've been back to playing for a little over a year and I'm still a little "finger stupid".

One can get a lot of good music out there with standard notation and tabs, but if one intends to make a career or life long endeavor out of music, one must learn to read standard notation sooner or later.

I've always had this odd theory that the day you stop learning and improving is the day your EKG goes flatline. Then you might as well just hop into the salad shooter and swim in some peppercorn ranch. Oooo! And garlic croutons!

Or you just really suck at listening to music
That would be me.... :(

Somethings I can hear and figure out immediately, but most stuff just won't cross over form ear to fingers.

When I do use tab though, I try to get it from a magazine. Better percentage on it being right. There has been a time or to that I had some tab and listened to a song. Looked at the tab and thought whoever did it must be smoking crack cause it was so wrong!

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Archived