Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Got MXR M80...what's next?

Gruuve

OK, so I've got this MXR M80 which is pretty awesome. Today, I finally got a chance to play it through my rig (SWR SM-900 head and 2 Carvin 410T's). I set one EQ channel on the head flat, the other the pretty typical way I usually set it up. Since there's a footpedal with the head to switch between the two EQ's, I could pretty easily compare the EQ and Color controls on the M80 to the EQ and preamp on the SWR to get an idea of how my tone compares between the two. I see that normally boost the highs in a slightly higher range than the M80 does, but it's still close enough to what I like as my ideal sound. Very cool. I set the preamp gain on the head to the lowest feasible setting so I could get the least amount of tube coloration from the head, and relied on the power amp section for gain. The sound is pretty darned close...I'm still amazed at this M80 preamp/DI. It's coloration of the sound is just amazingly drastic to me. That little "color" pushbutton is just awesome. :love: so, next question...what's another pedal-type device that will get me closer to the SWR's sound? Or, on another train of thought, what's another footpedal that will give me a drastic difference in tone without degrading the original signal whatsoever? (Read this to mean: no digital multiFX!) I've tried the Aphex Aural Exciter/Big Bottom pedal, and I simply was not impressed. Would the Aphex compressor pedal give me an interesting change in tone? How does it compare to the limiter section built into the SWR head? (I'd expect better quality, but after trying the Aphex Aural Exciter/Big Bottom, I'm not so sure.) What else might give me some interesting tools to work with in a direct-to-PA situation? Perhaps an MXR bass auto-wah? What else comes to mind?

Post any ideas! I've learned from the M80 that some of the things I thought I knew...well, I didn't actually know. So, I'm taking a completely open-minded perspective...

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Post any ideas! I've learned from the M80 that some of the things I thought I knew...well, I didn't actually know. So, I'm taking a completely open-minded perspective...
Hmmm. It must have been a moderator that added, "what's another footpedal that will give me a drastic difference in tone without degrading the original signal whatsoever? (Read this to mean: no digital multiFX!)" to your post then...

Oddly enough some of the most zealously designed and guarded signal chains are in the digital domain. You know: what they make the biggest dollar recordings with?

Originally posted by :

Hmmm. It must have been a moderator that added, "what's another footpedal that will give me a drastic difference in tone without degrading the original signal whatsoever? (Read this to mean: no digital multiFX!)" to your post then...

Oddly enough some of the most zealously designed and guarded signal chains are in the digital domain. You know: what they make the biggest dollar recordings with?

Don't come back and be all shy and retiring or anything, greenboy.

I think if you are looking for "interesting" tools to play with, a wah pedal goes a long way. It's not a typical bass sound. And you can even find it in analog.

I have been having great success with my SansAmp BDDI. I used it with the 10 piece funk band at a gig this weekend. Set it on "fat tube" and ran the xlr to the PA. Sounded great. I ran the 1/4" out to my SWR Bass 350/Bergantino 112 and had great stage monitor tone.

I also use the SansAmp for my fretless and upright basses on the "clean/piezo" setting for my big band gigs.

On occasion, if I'm feeling wild, I'll use the "svt" setting. Not exactly like a modeled or real SVT, but certainly gives teh "impresion" to the casual listener.

Archived