Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Leo Quan BadAss Bridge II - Tech Q before a bid on Ebay

Rick Hoffman

Hey 'downers

I found a couple of these bridges on ebay, one I'm thinking of bidding on has the E string hole reamed out to take a bigger string. Should I be concerned of this? Also the G saddle looks nickle finished.

Thoughts or opinions?

Thanks

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure if it's a big deal or not. I know that those bridges turn up often so if you are concerned, wait a couple days and another one will pop up.

Also, they aren't that expensive new. Maybe you should just get a new one. I have used them many times - including on my current jazz - and loved them and had no problems. I bought all mine new for around $65.

Normally I wouldn't ever reccomend spending more money on anything, especially if something comparable to what you are looking for can be found on ebay, but I have to agree with SteveC on this. If you ordered it from someone, you could at least get a guarentee, and they're not that expensive compared to many other parts for the bass!
unkownroadband.com - step into the unkown :-)

I just paid about 65 CAD for a new one still in the box. including shipping from the U.S. I'm looking forward to getting it!

They are common enough and not that expensive so don't fret about it, you'll get one if hunt. Of course, if the price is right, grab it up!

Check out my work in progress.

When I installed my first one I did some reaming to keep the string from sliding around on the bridge. I think I over-reamed my E-string saddle, but then I just adjusted the bridge height to compensate. What was important was to go over the reamed area with a very fine file and a bit of super-fine sandpaper to get out any metal burrs that might damage the string.

Couldn't make out quite what you were referring to on the G string, so I'll take it as exposed base metal (zinc or brass?) where the chrome is worn off. Will it tarnish or oxidize? Yes. Does it matter? Depends on whether or not you like the "relic" look. Will it affect your intonation? Doubt it. Can it hurt you? Only if you touch it too much or lick it. Best leave it alone.

:wave:

Archived