Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ampeg SVT4

jpBuzz

I recently purchased an SVT4 to power my BXT410. During gigs, I am running Speakon cable from Channel B to the cab. I set the amp in stereo mode. I believe this should provide 490 Watts which would be plenty of power to blend with our three piece. However, this weekend during a large gig, I could barely hear myself over the guitarist's 2x50W Fenders and the loud, but certainly not overbearing, drummer.

Do I need the 15"? Is it the set-up? The supplier provides no information for single cap setup. Is it the venue (long & narrow hallway). Any recommendations?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try standing further from your cab or tilting it up towards you so you can hear more than just rumble. Get the guitarist's cabs off the floor so he can hear them more clearly and thus turns down a bit. Check how you're EQing yourself - scooped mids and boosted bass and treble may sound pretty but it'll struggled to cut through live - try flattening your EQ or even subtly boosting some of the midrange to get throatiness or honk that cuts through the mix.

And finally try bridging the SVT4 into your 4x10" - the extra headroom should add clarity, bottom and punch - just don't push the amp to the limits or your amp will get upset. I'd recommend doing this regardless but not so you can turn up to compete and start a volume war - get the EQ and positioning sorted, then enjoy the extra headroom and dynamics.

Alex

I suggest you go to the ampeg forum www.ampeg.com Seeing I've been looking into thier amps, I check in on the forum talk from time to time.
Thanks Bear. I checked this out last night and have already found out some pretty good stuff regarding setup.

Check how you're EQing yourself - scooped mids and boosted bass and treble may sound pretty but it'll struggled to cut through live - try flattening your EQ or even subtly boosting some of the midrange to get throatiness or honk that cuts through the mix.

It's funny you should mention this Claber. I originally scooped the mids and boosted the bass/treble. This sounded great at home. However, during the gig I found myself inching up the mids. I'll try bringing the bass & treb down next time. Thanks.

Archived