Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How Many Keys On A Piano?

You know right? For a long time the name of my piano tuning business was 88 Keys Piano Service. I thought it was a catchy name. OK, so I go out and do a service call and I write the bill and the customer writes me a check and they say " 88 Keys, that's a wierd name, what does that mean. DUH? A piano has 88 keys. It amazed me that what I thought was common knowledge so many people did not know. So I changed the name but........... CASH IS ALWAYS GOOD.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]You know right? For a long time the name of my piano tuning business was 88 Keys Piano Service. I thought it was a catchy name. OK, so I go out and do a service call and I write the bill and the customer writes me a check and they say " 88 Keys, that's a wierd name, what does that mean. DUH? A piano has 88 keys. It amazed me that what I thought was common knowledge so many people did not know. So I changed the name but........... CASH IS ALWAYS GOOD.[/b][/quote]Actually a wise-ass would insist that the correct answer is twelve. Not ALL pianos have 88 keys, but all are made to play the 12 keys.... :D

I tune completely by ear. A lot of people these days use a little electronic device called the AccuTuner which is a lot more accurate than a strobe. I've been told by a lot of people that my aural tunings are better than the AccuTuner tunings though. A regular tuning is $75.00 but a lot of times I have to do a pitch raise, repairs, whatever, and of course that adds to the bill.

Too bad I can't make my living tuning guitars. Now that would be a cushy job :D . Wewus, would you say that you have to be a good piano player to tune pianos? I have damn near perfect pitch so I don't see why not.

There were so many songs that had phrases about "playing those 88" or whatever. I can understand that some pianos have more or less, but my first guess would be 88. Hey Wewus - when you reach underneath, tweak knobs, and then play - is that aural sex? :eek: Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

[quote]Originally posted by Bobro: [b]Actually a wise-ass would insist that the correct answer is twelve. Not ALL pianos have 88 keys, but all are made to play the 12 keys.... :D [/b][/quote]Actually a REAL wise ass would comment that that wasnt a wise ass enough of an answer! There is way more than 12 keys! ... what about B ## ? E # even.... :D

originally posted by Dylan: [quote] [b]Wewus, would you say that you have to be a good piano player to tune pianos? [/b] [/quote]It helps to be able to play. I'm not a great piano player but I can play pieces and run scales, double octaves, octave/4ths, octave/5ths that will point out problems in the tuning to me. On the other hand the old guy that taught me to tune could hardly play a note and was a great tuner, but's that's the exception to the rule.

[quote]Originally posted by Keysking: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Bobro: [b]Actually a wise-ass would insist that the correct answer is twelve. Not ALL pianos have 88 keys, but all are made to play the 12 keys.... :D [/b][/quote]Actually a REAL wise ass would comment that that wasnt a wise ass enough of an answer! There is way more than 12 keys! ... what about B ## ? E # even.... :D [/b][/quote]Hm...enharmonics, man! :D The wisest-ass, or most most assinine wiseman?! would say that with equal temperament there's really only ONE key. which is in a way a legitimate viewpoint IMO.

Archived