Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT : I took up martial arts again

EddiePlaysBass

So today I finally got my life back on a path I had abandoned some odd 7 years ago: I started practising martial arts again.

Most, if not all, will ignore this little trivia, but I used to be an excellent karateka. According to my sensei's I had a lot of talent and I proved very promising.

And then destiny got in the way: I started getting problems with my elbows and joints. Quit that for some time, but you know how it goes: I had to keep going.

Then I joined another club, which was - in retrospect- one of the biggest mistakes in my life ... It was a whole different style (and mentality) and I didn't quite fit in. Worst of all, after about a year or so I started getting serious spinal issues (no, not of the Tap variety :D ). So again I quit.

That was 7 years ago. Two years ago I discovered the bass, and finally a whole new world opened up for me. I had a goal in life again, so to speak. But at the same time I was getting fat and lazy :( Something my girlfriend can no longer deny, so even she tells me this. Hell, I gained 10 kilos in 5 years ... And that is a LOT.

So I figured I'd take up some sports again. Sure, I play squash (sort of like racquetball) with my girlfriend and it gets pretty intense, but I asked myself "why not martial arts again?" Well, my spinal and joint problems would be a good reason.

So it wouldn't be karate anymore, too intense. Nor kickboxing, taekwondo etc. Then it hit me: aikido !!! It's gracious, it's very subtle and fluent and doesn't look too hard to master.

BOY WAS I WRONG !!!!! I had my first training today, and it was INTENSE !!!! I think I can feel (literally) every muscle in my body ... I never imagined it would take so much hard work. And this was just the first class ...

But I will continue with it, as I am sure I will

benefit from it both as a person and as a musician. I think it will give me back the discipline I once had, and lost along the way. It will be interesting to find out, however, if my elbows and back will endure all the pressure and stress ...

Thanks for reading !

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations on getting back into martial arts!I think you have made a wise decision. Of the asian unarmed fighting styles, aikido has always interested me the most. Even though you are "feeling it" right now I think that aikido will definately take less toll on you physically once you get past the initial conditioning.

Stick with it Eddie, you'll look back a year from now and be so glad you did.

I am also coming back from a 2 year layoff from martial arts.In my case this requires strapping on about 65 pounds of armour and hacking on my friends with various medieval implements of destruction. :D I love it, but sometimes the next day I feel like I've been run over by a truck!

"What a drag it is getting old"!

Cheers!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Originally posted by basshappi:

In my case this requires strapping on about 65 pounds of armour and hacking on my friends with various medieval implements of destruction. :D

I must say I am really curious as to what sort of martial art you practise :D

And yes, protecting my playing hand was a real concern yesterday :)

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

aahhhhh Eddie, I feel your pain. Years ago, I was seriuosly into the Fire and Water style of Kung Fu and could laugh off injuries now, in my 30's, I don't recover so quick. I want to start back, but the risk of seriuosly injurying myself is always at the front of my brain. I'm not the kind of person who can just do it for sport. I must go full out and be able to compete at top level. And full contact Kung Fu isn't a gentle sport by any means.

Aikido is very cool. It's more about redirecting an opponents force than direct assault. Most of your power comes from your hips and if your instructor is any good, you shouldn't have to worry about your back too much.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

I'm a black belt in Taekwondo.. Just be careful with your hands! I'm sporting a purple and green swollen thumb at the moment.. enjoy!

-Paul

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

Archived