Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The new pedals are here! UPDATE

wraub

OK, well, they are new to me, anyway.

A Boss Distortion and a Morley Wah/Volume.

When I get them home, I'll add more details...

It's the first new gear for me in several years.

I am excited.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You got a Boss DS-1 Distortion? In its stock form, that's an okay pedal, but it doesn't have enough bass for me. Perhaps if you had it modded by Keeley... :idea:

I much prefer a Heavy Metal, Hyper Metal, or a Metal Zone with the gain at about 10 o clock. Those have good bass response, and in the right settings, could blow your speakers. :freak:

I'm currently (sort of) hunting down a good fuzz pedal I could use for both bass and guitar. I have enough distortions and overdrives to puncture my eardrums, so now I need some fuzzy goodness. We'll see.

Have fun with your new toys. :)

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

I'm currently (sort of) hunting down a good fuzz pedal I could use for both bass and guitar.

EH Big Muff (Russian made). Try quite a few because they vary a lot. If you can't find one with enough bottom, buy the best example and swap the output capacitor for a higher value.

Does everything from funky Bootsy/Larry bass fuzz through to Korn-esque nasty guitars.

And a bargain!

Alex

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

I'm currently (sort of) hunting down a good fuzz pedal I could use for both bass and guitar. I have enough distortions and overdrives to puncture my eardrums, so now I need some fuzzy goodness. We'll see.

I have a pre-GB (TubeWorks) version of the 903 Blue Tube Enhancer shown here. The 12AX7A will work well enough for a guitar, but it'll also work with the derivative tubes (7027, 12AT7 and 12AU7) that have less power gain but different sonic qualities. I have to open mine up to see which one I'm using now.

I've also overdriven my SansAmp Bass Driver DI pedal , perhaps unintentionally, but it ODs nicely IMHO.

:wave:

Maury, Alex - :D Don't get me wrong, I like gear, I love to play new basses and amps. But I am quite content the gear I have, lack of amp at the moment notwithstanding. I went through many basses to find the one for me, then I hunted down its twin to make fretless.

I have a fretted and a fretless 5 string. Done.

Nothing against those with all they can get, but a long time ago I decided that I could learn more about myself as a musician by concentrating on my music rather than my gear. It's better for me to get past that and get to it.

That said, I have long been after a dirty sound that I like, can use musically, and can afford.

These pedals were a gift, but were something I would have likely tried anyway.

Plus, they looked as if they'd be fun to doink with. The wah pedal has a distortion too, so that may well be the fun one.

Taz Yup, a lowly DS-1, you got it. I may get it modded, I may re-sell. I may listen to it first. :)

I will indeed post reviews.

Thanks all!

Peace,

wraub

Review as promised:

The Volume pedal is a Morley with wah and distortion. The volume pedal works OK, not the best/worst I have tried, but sufficient. Limited travel and a tendency to go from off to on instantly bugged me at first, but after a while I found its pattern. The wah seems weak, but I have not explored it fully as yet. The distortion is heavy and thick, though. Maybe too thick for the song I tried it on, but definitely overdriven goodness.

The Distortion pedal has a more musical and usable sound for that tune, and probably for most things. Plenty of range in the settings, works well with my bass. I'll probably use this one more, and use the Morley distortion for that "push over the cliff." Or use 'em both for the bass solo...

Add in my Chorus pedal, and it gets even more fun.

It's nice to annoy the guitarist for a change. :D

I think I'll keep 'em for a while.

Peace,

wraub

I'm currently (sort of) hunting down a good fuzz pedal I could use for both bass and guitar. I have enough distortions and overdrives to puncture my eardrums, so now I need some fuzzy goodness.
Dude. You need a Z.Vex Wooly Mammoth . Trust me on this... works on guitar... works on bass. Kills on both.

So shall it be written. So shall it be done.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I have a couple of special "Enforcer" presets on my V-Bass. This is an old tradition from my earlier rigs. When a guitarist should overstep the considerably lax bounds of rock volume propriety, by one tap of the toe I unleash floodgates that sweep away his tiny tinkertoy of an instrument.

It's like a tsunami sweeping away the tinny buzzing of a mosquito. After that there is decimation on the beaches. But there will be peace.

I don't get that... I don't play with people who wanna have volume wars. Either you play with me, or I play with someone else.

Of course, having said this... I don't play with guitarists who can't hang with a 500-watt bass rig. And I don't play with bassists who can't get with a 100-watt Marshall. And, needless to say... the drummer's gotta be on the same page, too.

Otherwise, it's not worth it to me.

This is not to say I red-line the gear all the time. Heck no. I like headroom on my bass rig, and I like the sound of an opened-up tube amp. I can always use a Hot Plate or whatever if the guitar is too loud and still get my tone.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by CMDN:

Of course, having said this... I don't play with guitarists who can't hang with a 500-watt bass rig. And I don't play with bassists who can't get with a 100-watt Marshall. And, needless to say... the drummer's gotta be on the same page, too.

And everything must be None More Black. Because it's staggeringly louder and way more Rock that way.

Archived