Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

envelope filter.

chewstermaniac

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Flea said something like "you can't play funk without an envelope filter" on his Spontaneous Jamming DVD. Watched it once, found it wasn't the most useful of instruction video's and haven't watched it since (partly due to lack of time) and I don't use effects (due to lack of money) so I can't say more.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

:D

I have a Seamoon Funk Machine which I love. I would recommend one, but on top of being old, I have just discovered that they are selling for outrageous prices.

Mu-Tron is indeed the way to go from there...

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Bootzilla, baby. Bootsy used one all the time.

Flea was mentioned earlier, he used a Mu-Tron III on "Sir Psycho Sexy". Bitchin.

They are mostly associated with playing funk, but that doesn't mean you have to play funk in order to use one. Ya dig?

I have a Boss Dynamic Wah and it works fine for what I need. I also have the expression pedal that can be used with it, but I haven't tried it yet.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Originally posted by chewstermaniac:

Please, enlighten me. Who uses (used) it? What style of music typically utilizes it? What are good brand names? Any/all info welcome!

Thanks!

cry-baby wah (variable envolope filter) plugged into a feedback loop...you've now got a drone to define the root (add a compressor and a volume pedal to control dynamics). Go crazy on a separate amp with your bass...I'm still to try this btw!
A man is not usually called upon to have an opinion of his own talents at all; he can very well go on improving them to the best of his ability without deciding on his own precise niche in the temple of Fame. -- C.S.Lewis

Originally posted by Mark Zeger:

If I put an envelope filter on my mailbox, will it keep out the junk mail?

:D

Bwahahaha!

Thanks everyone, I always wondered how he (flea) got the really cool sound on sir psyco sexy...love that tune by the way so you sold me on it!!

I've done several things in the past with my stingray to get close to that sound but it never had that "wa" sound that is so predominant on the recording. I had given up thinking my skills were not up to it. Now I find out its just an effect! Excellent!

Check out my work in progress.

A Mu-Tron III is a great envelope filter.

There is the original pedal from the 70's and the reissue which is called a Mu-Tron III+. It's made by a different company than the original one.

I don't know of anything called a Mu-Tron III which isn't an envelope filter, what are you looking at?

The original company that made the pedal was called Musitronics and they also made the Bi-Phase pedal which was also good. Then they went out of business.

Originally posted by jeremyc:

A Mu-Tron III is a great envelope filter.

There is the original pedal from the 70's and the reissue which is called a Mu-Tron III+. It's made by a different company than the original one.

I don't know of anything called a Mu-Tron III which isn't an envelope filter, what are you looking at?

The original company that made the pedal was called Musitronics and they also made the Bi-Phase pedal which was also good. Then they went out of business.

Thanks Jeremy, I've found an original one on ebay for $150. Little beat up but still in perfect working condition. Would this be a good buy?
Check out my work in progress.

FWIW I use an EBS BassIQ. Very easy to use, nice and small and reliable. Not too pricey unlike a vintage Mu-Tron III. Not as greasy as a Mu-Tron but still a great sound IMO. Used to have a Lovetone Meatball which sounded great when set right but was just so difficult to dial in.

Also the attack control on the BassIQ lets you get an authentic synth sound when a fuzz is in front of it - haven't heard of any another envelope filters that can pull of this trick so well.

Alex

P.S. The sound on Sir Psycho Sexy is more complicated than just plugging into a Mu-Tron III. There's both a clean bass sound and effected bass sound on the recording, and the effected sound is from a Mu-Tron III with a dying battery, hence the distortion - very hard to pull off live! I believe Flea uses a Q-Tron when they play live to approximate that sound.

Yeah man... I have an original Mu-tron from around 1978 or so... still in the box. Yes, brothers. It's a thing of beauty. True funk gold.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Archived