Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

workingman's 15 combo

tramp

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've spoken of this before I believe =).

I like it. I play in a hard rock band. I use a workingmans 210 extension cab that I occasionally borrow from my guitarist. It sounds a lot better with it. My only issue right now is that the input jack is coming loose and all the threads are stripped so I can't tighten it up any. Whenever I move the cord around it tries to cut out on me. It should be an easy fix.

Ultimately I want to ger a SWR super redhead, there has been a used one at my Guitar Center begging me to rob a bank and buy it.

I think the WM 1x15 may be the best value out there in a first gigging amp. I've never owned one, but I like the sound of them well enough.

I have a WM 4x10 cab that I have gigged regularly with for about two and half years, now. I power it with a GK 1001RB. It's held up very well, indeed. No problems or issues what so ever, and I love the sound of it. I think it would make an ideal extension cab for the WM 1x15 combo amp.

Bought my first one about 11 years ago barely used ($500). Changed the stock speaker to a JBL K-140 (used, $100) to handle what I thought was overloading on the stock speaker and to give me a brighter midrange. Except for that, it's been through hundreds of gigs and a hundred or more rehearsals, had to reglue the carpet to the cabinet a couple of times, but it's performed superbly. Been in the shop exactly twice, replacing input jacks. I've blown fuses and ran that amp so hot you could burn your hand on the heat sink in back at the end of a night. But comparing the uses I've gotten from it, the amp paid for itself a few times over. Can't say that about other amps else except for my Peaveys.

I even bought a 2nd one (about 9 years ago) for when the first was in the shop. Did two gigs and maybe 5-6 rehearsals to date with it. Never been in the shop. Bought another K140 for that but never installed it. Just played through it last week, stock speaker sounds OK but maybe a little bassier than I prefer.

I have an SVT and plan to upgrade to an Eden rig soon, but plan to have this combo handy until it literally blows itself up. It is one of the best amps I've ever played. Happy to recommend it.

:thu:

Originally posted by Edendude:

I think the WM 1x15 may be the best value out there in a first gigging amp. I've never owned one, but I like the sound of them well enough.

I'm not sure if it's a great value new. Sometimes you can find a good price used.

I prefer my Nemesis 210P. Louder, better low end, better EQ, and lighter. It also happens to be cheaper new.

Probably a whole lot more WM1x15 combos out there on the used market however, Maury. Just another factor that keeps the used price on them reasonable, making them such a great value.

I really like the Nemisis 210 combo too, but I suspect the WM1x15 may prove to be better at standing up to more road abuse over time.

Archived