Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question for the MIDI experts

Is there anyway to use software, like Sonar for example, to remap MIDI note numbers in realtime? My thought goes something like this: I want to use a MIDI controller to play only the notes in a certain scale. Then when the chord progresses in the sequence, I would have these note numbers assign to a different scale -to go along with the music- and so on. Sort of like automatically re-tuning an instrument on the fly. The simple way of doing this would be to define all of my scales as patches on my MIDI controller, and then step through them. However, I don't have enough patches available for that, the it's a bit limiting considering all of the possible notes I might want to draw from for a given song. I also thought of inserting a pitch bend command, to shift all of the notes to the new key. It won't help me with different kinds of scales, but could work in some limited ways. I know that some of the 'intelligent arrangers' from companies like Roland, can 'translate' the notes you play to the key you song is in, and this is the closest thing I can think of to what I want to do. But I want to do it in software, while my sequence in playing. And, I want to choose the notes that are available, and define when they are available. Make sense??? Thanks in advance for your help.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by WFTurner: [b]Use the KEY+ (offset) feature. I use it in Cake Express Gold and seen it in the Sonar demo and am assuming it works the same.[/b][/quote]That will TRANSPOSE in real time. You sequence a basic run, then transpose it in real time typing a number or with the + and - keys. But I guess that is not what oir friend wants...

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Well, MIDI-OX has the capability to allow you to define re-maps of any midi event (including notes) to any other midi event. However, this is a 'static' capability, meaning you can't change scales on cue like you want to. Sonar's CAL programming offers some possibilities, especially in conjunction with the Diatonic Transpose function. I'm not sure how well CAL programs work in real time, tho. Most of the ones I've seen operate on a selection of notes, rather than a real-time stream of midi data. Maybe what you really need is a 'C' program that intercepts the serial midi data stream and operates on it as it enters or exits your computer... I don't get why you have to do it in real time, though, unless you plan to use it in a performance setting. Phil Koenig Tangent Studios

[quote]Originally posted by philbo_Tangent: [b]I don't get why you have to do it in real time, though, unless you plan to use it in a performance setting.[/b][/quote]Well, that's exactly it. I want to use my Zendrum in a performance setting, to go from playing drums, to taking a melodic solo, back to playing drums again. I also want to bend and hold notes, but I'm thinking I could probably use a sustain pedal, and the pitchbend wheel on my local keyboard to send the data on the appropriate MIDI channel. The only thing that eludes me, is how to develop a tone palates to draw from that will allow me greater freedom in expressing myself. I'd like to avoid just going with an abstract 'catch-all' pentatonic scale for a song -those can get a little boring.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Archived