Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alternate tunings for five strings.

Jimbroni

Lately, I've been thinking about getting a five. However, I think I'd rather extend my range to the high end rather than the lowend. My hands are small so I don't think that I can deal with a sixer. So if I get a five string and get a custom nut for it, what are the options?

EADGB

DADGC I think I'd prefer this one.

Does anybody else do this? or have any better ideas?

Are there truss rod or intonation concerns with certain makers due to no Heavy B string? I'm not gonna to buy one right away, but when I do I'd try to be in the $2000 range or lower.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking more like a six string setup but without the extra low string. So for DADGC, I'd probably go with .110 up to a .025. For EADGB, I'd prefer .105 up to a .032.

I was wondering if anybody ever modified a fiver to do this. Do five string necks have different tensions for notes than four strings do? I have noticed that fivers seem to have looser strings than most fours, when tuned standard.

Maybe I don't need to go that far. How was the tension when tuning the 125 to E? It seems like it would be too stiff to get a good slap tone.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

Archived