Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: A huge new project

I recently got the urge to rip my entire CD collection to a hard drive. I bought a 160GB external IEEE 1394 (firewire) drive a few weeks ago and I've been slowly ripping discs to .mp3 format ever since. The thought of having my entire CD catalog in such a highly portable format makes me smile a lot.

So far, Winamp is telling me that there is 2188 songs and it would take an estimated 6 days, 3 hours, 11 minutes, and 11 seconds to listen to it all. And I have a lot of discs to go. A lot.

Anyone else done this? It's been fun, though tedious to sit and switch CDs out every 6-10 minutes. Been listening to a lot of discs that I haven't heard in a long time in the process.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't do it with the audio... just too many to deal with. I'm also adverse to MP3, given the high quality of my audio setups. (Yeah, with the right gear, even -I- can hear the difference.) But I've been considering doing the same thing with the video tapes and DVDs. They take up a whole lot more room, and get played less often than the CDs. Setting up a video server isn't such a big deal, and getting back the space is a real consideration.

Now if only I could convert my library to hard disk....

Bill

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

jesus, i did that on my ex-girlfriends mac with my several hundred cds and her hundred + cds. the finished product wound up being a couple weeks worth of listening material. i agree, fun overall but it can get tedious. itunes does have a lot of shortcuts that makes it easy though. plus, burning mix cds becomes soooooo easy, everything is right there at your fingertips.
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

I have about 2800 songs on my computer at school, but I didn't have to rip most of them. I uploaded a lot of files from my brother and another teacher. It's come in very handy for finding listening examples.

I haven't done it at home because I don't have the space. Good luck.

Yup, Cliff, I have a turntable. I have not been without one since I was a wee lad, now that I think of it.

This one is a legacy of my days in broadcasting. I have had it for about 10 years, I guess, and it still runs like a dream. A Technics 1200. One of two I have. (I have a microphone too.)

Not audiophile, but good enough for me.

And, like you, I have far more vinyl than CDs, everything from progressive and classic rock to world beat (heavy on Afro-Caribbean and Afro-Cuban) to 80s cheese.

Although I did just score some CDs from the guitarist I am playing with... Mucho cool stuff I will likely post on later.

It's like a trip through my past.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I saw the thread title--"huge project"--& thought it was about me, because that's what my wife calls me. Actually, what she calls me is a "big damn piece of work," but it's so close.

Anyhooooooooo, as I read about this my thoughts went to my hard drive upstairs that suddenly decided it was time to die this afternoon. We're still doing CPR; we'll know in the morning. I'm thinking of the stuff I'll lose when it croaks. I know you'll still have the CDs, so the music won't be lost, but the longevity of a hard drive, & of its up-to-dateness, puts me in no big hurry to spend hours shifting stuff onto one.

Then again, I'm no expert when it comes to them thinkin' boxes. :D

Originally posted by dcr:

Anyhooooooooo,

Don't make me hate you... ;):D:D

Originally posted by dcr:

as I read about this my thoughts went to my hard drive upstairs that suddenly decided it was time to die this afternoon. We're still doing CPR; we'll know in the morning. I'm thinking of the stuff I'll lose when it croaks.

Ah yes. Hardware errors. I'm all too aware, in my line of work, of the dangers of hardware failures. This is why I've started archiving this stupid project onto DVD data until I have another 160GB drive to back the primary one onto on a nightly basis. The other option that I've been considering has been buying a good SCSI raid controller and setting this whole nonsense up as a RAID-5; or even better a RAID-10 (RAID-5 + a mirror of the RAID). That's really expensive really quickly though. So, I've been reduced to a simple mirror of the main drive when I finally buy it. Until then, it's going to be scheduled backups on a nightly basis when I buy the other hard drive.

Just some cheap advice if anyone suffers a hard drive failure. Here goes. If your drive dies and it won't read, take it out of your computer and put it in your freezer for about an hour (no kidding). Take it out of the freezer and stick it back in your computer. Fire that bitch up and start copying data off it as quickly as possible. You'd be amazed how good this works for whatever reason that it does.

That is all. Carry on.

Me, too.

I just recently got myself a "real" computer and I'm ready and rarin' to start rippin' my CD collection (about 800 of 'em) into iTunes so that I can eventually be carrying my entire collection around on an iPod.

But I have 0 experience with digital music files, so I'm feeling a bit clueless. You computer geeks out there, what's the best file format to rip CD's into (and the best program to use)? I've messed around a bit with AAC, which seems to be Apple/iTunes' file format of choice, but I haven't been too happy with the results so far. Are mp3's any better? I figure if I'm gonna spend like a week straight ripping all my CD's, I'd better be doing it the "right" way.

All your bass are belong to us!

Doesn't it bother you that mp3's don't sound as good as cd.

Besides what's the point of the conversion to hd.?

Actually MP3's can sound just as good as a CD. It all depends on the settings: bit rate, frequency, etc...

Advantages:

1) Easy access

2) backup of CD in case of damage to the orginal

3) Portability

4) Prevention of theft of original from car

just to name a few...

I'm eventually going to do this. Right now, I copy them, put the orginal safely away in my house and carry the copy for use in my car. But I need to get a bigger hard drive. And as stated before, it will take a couple of weeks to rip my 400+ CDs....

A friend of mine has a Kenwood Music Keg in his vehicle. It has a laptop hard drive in it with a USB interface. He unplugs it from the car unit, plugs it into his computer, puts his music on it, plugs back into car unit, and cruises happily down the road. I think it only has a 40 GB hard drive, not for sure though, but could probaly put a 100 or more albums on it depending upon the file sizes.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

AAC in Itunes is higher quality than mp3 also Itunes/ipod allow for wav format. iTunes is definetly the way to go I think. I like the organization features, and its great in combo with the ipod. The reasons I say HD is worthwhile:

-Less wear and tear on CD's

-Can buy music online very cheaply

-Ipod's are great for the gym, bike rides, walks, etc. with no skipping at all.

-If you get the iTrip FM transmitter you can go camping with a battery operated boom box and not wear out the batteries by playing CD's. :thu:

Lastly, As HD space continues to increase, we should be able to utilize WAV format, eventually. I think you should be able to pay a little more for WAV format rather than mp3 or AAC in online purchases. Someday.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

I have been putting my music collection on my computer also. It is a tedious task. However, I am on a different schedule. I just find an album I don't have on there and I listen to it as it copies. I usually get 2 albums a day done on average. It is slow, but I am really enjoying listening to some albums I haven't heard in a while.

Let your speech be better than silence, or be silent.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

"Rindase!"

"Rendirme? Que se rinda su abuela, *#@!^$"

Originally posted by Big Daddy from Motown:

Doesn't it bother you that mp3's don't sound as good as cd.

Besides what's the point of the conversion to hd.?

Portability and convenience for me.

Sound quality depends on the bitrate you rip them at, the format you rip them to (.wma, .mp3, .aac, etc), AND the program that you use to rip. iTunes .mp3 at 128kbps sounds like butt next to the Winamp version of the same file at the same bitrate. It's got to have something to do with the algorithm that they use to do the encoding, but I'm guessing here (seems logical). I tried a bunch of formats and bitrates before choosing one. The .mp3 format at 128kbps is small, sounds good, and is currently doing the trick for me.

Here's what I did, just in the last month or two. Got a 120 GB external firewire drive. Ripped most of my CD collection with iTunes onto it as 256K VBR mp3s. Personally, I can't hear the difference between these and the .wav or disc itself. The files are pretty big for mp3s, but I decided it would be better to have higher audio quality on my "archive drive" at home (totalling some 85 GB when all was said and done) and then downgrading the files to Apple's 128K AAC format to stick onto my 40GB iPod. I can't hear the difference between those either, certainly not in those little iPod earbuds or in a car. I wouldn't expect to listen to this stuff in a hi-fi environment - that's what the CDs are for. But taking a long road trip and having my entire collection to choose from? Yeah, baby!

I have not gotten around to backing up files yet....I'll probably do this at some point with DVDs.

It took me 2-3 weeks to rip all the CDs in my collection. That's working obsessively on it as soon as I got home from work, and through the weekend. Lots of time spent correcting the track info that CDDB provides through iTunes....unfortunately this is exactly what I do at my day job too, so it was like I just picked up where I left off at work. But with something like 800+ albums and over 9000 songs I want them to be well organized and spelled correctly.

It's fun to look at the entire song list in alpha order and see how many versions of the same titles there are...and it's so much fun to rediscover things I haven't listened to in 10 years or more, beside stuff I didn't even know I had or NEVER heard. Yeah, it happens - buy stuff, forget to listen to it, forget I own it.

Anyway, I filled the 40GB iPod within 500MB and have more music than will fit on it. When I buy new stuff I'll have to delete something to fit it on. That's ok. There's still plenty to choose from!

My next project will be digitizing stuff I have on cassette...hoo boy.

Ive had a scare recently, Windows problems gave me all kinds of weird errors.

What software are you using to listen to the files from your computer?

I was using rioport but again windows mangled it.

Btw. I have over 4500 songs.

:cool:

Double what we got o mr. roboto

Double

Double

Originally posted by Mike F.:

Ive had a scare recently, Windows problems gave me all kinds of weird errors.

What software are you using to listen to the files from your computer?

I was using rioport but again windows mangled it.

What were the "weird errors", when did you get them (what were you doing with your computer at the time), and what happened to the rioport application (did it crash, hang, close??).

I'm using Winamp to do the ripping and I use Windows Media Player or Winamp to listen to them.

Originally posted by Mike F.:

Btw. I have over 4500 songs.

:cool:

Current, up to the minute count:

3254 songs

9 days, 18 hours, 11 minutes, 17 seconds of total listening time

And I just started in on the "D's". Got a long-ass way to go still.

• 4 weeks later...

fin

I just finished ripping the last disc, ZZTop's The Best of ZZTop.

The totals are as follows:

9921 songs

31 days, 12 hours, 27 minutes, 32 seconds of music

Frank Zappa's Cruising With Ruben & The Jets is currently playing.

I'm glad that chore is now over.

Damn! Over a month straight of music. You should run it straight through at low volume in your house 24/7...but who wants to listen to the other songs on Toni Basil's Hey Mickey album, eh?

Congratulations, sir...your perserverance (and trust in hard drives...time to buy a backup drive) is commendable.

"For instance" is not proof.

So now all I have to do is buy lots of space, and get some company to nail a pipe from you to me, and bwwwaahhhhhh I will have more music than I will ever be able to listen to. Or just get me the Napolean XIV album...

In return I will send you vinyls like "The Thorn In Mrs. Rose's Side" by Biff Rose and Todd Rundren "A Wizard A True Star", as well as cassettes like Bourgeois Tagg's "Yo Yo".

Congrats on a monumental task.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

fin

I just finished ripping the last disc, ZZTop's The Best of ZZTop.

The totals are as follows:

9921 songs

31 days, 12 hours, 27 minutes, 32 seconds of music

Frank Zappa's Cruising With Ruben & The Jets is currently playing.

I'm glad that chore is now over.

So, how much disc space was used??

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Got that iTunes thing on my new 'puter. Haven't fiddled with it much, yet.

How useful is the catalog feature? I can just imagine looking for something and have to fish through pages of screens trying to find it.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Archived