Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: the overdone musician

chewstermaniac

Howdy,

I recently attended a wedding of a musician friend. Needless to say there were lots of musicians there. well one of the guests was a guy whom I've not seen in about 10 years or so. His musical abilities have improved no doubt, but he has a bad case of "overdone musician syndrome".

Conversation sample:

him: "So, do you own a house?"

me: "yes."

him: "do you do repairs on it, you know, spend money on it to keep it up."

me: "of course".

him: "well a REAL musician wouldn't do that, a REAL musician would spend all his time, money, effort and resources on being a musician. its a way of life. its a religion...blah blah blah..."

End sample...

Ok. I love the guy we were tight back in the day and he was a good friend. But I could never work with him. Music is a huge part of my life. I love the fact that there is always something to learn. but this is a little over the top (or at least i thought) anybody know a bloke like this one? work with one? how do you make things copasetic when he thinks you should come over to play and you think you should be playing with your son?

Chew.

Check out my work in progress.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we should renounce all worldly posessions and sit in a tree and play a flute? Horses-pucky!

There was a time in my life when I took musicianship very seriously. Consequently I lived by the gig and teetered on the brink of starvation most of the time.

When I got tired of being hungry, I took an apprenticeship that ate up a lot of my time. It didn't mean I was less of a musician even though my bandmates referred to it as "going straight." I didn't get a whole lot of ribbing when I was the only one who had a truck and could afford strings without asking my parents for cash.

When I started a family, music obviously had to take a back seat to familiar obligations. This is as it should be. The musicians I know who haven't given family the top slot haven't been in a family for long. If these people want to fool themselves, let 'em. We need more sources of humor in this world.

Personally, music is a huge part of my life. I am a musician that has a wonderful family who comes first. That doesn't make me less of a musician. It makes me more of an adult. This guy either need to do more or less of whatever he's doing 'cause his dosage is off.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Originally posted by mattulator:

So we should renounce all worldly posessions and sit in a tree and play a flute?

No, Dude (sigh)...

You should sit in a tree and play bass.

Sheesh. :)

Peace,

wraub

p.s. That guy's a tool.

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Chewstermaniac, I know people like that--most are very bitter, frustrated musicians who feel they have been "cheated" out of something.

There are professional musicians who post here and I am sure they can explain how they balance "work" (music) and their personal lives.

Would be a fascinating read. :thu:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Hey Chewster, I think you'd get more adult interaction from your kids! I had a guitarist I used to play with who without fail floored me with how friggin talented he was. You know, the kind of talent that makes you feel this big :wave: , but still felt lucky to be in this guys band. Anyway, life seemed to pull me in another direction musically and i saw him about five years later, asking me the same questions and wondering why I had "given in". I went to see him play a week later and he was sadly still banging out the same songs and solos. I think he still lives with his mom. I felt bad about not keeping in touch with the guy initially, but after seeing him play I got the sensation he wasn't about growing as a musician. Which meant he had nothing left to offer as a friend or musician. We never talked again and I haven't lost any sleep. I'm sure this guy already knows your family is what keeps you going and he may not have that. Maybe he'd rather have a son than a guitar to play with.
Is there something on my face?

Hey Chew...did he also tell you how great he can play?..... that dude's more full of s*** than a thanksgiving turkey......

I love to play and I've been a musician almost my entire life, but when it comes to providing for my family, I'll take a "real job" anyday. Besides, for many of us, if we didn't have our day gigs, we wouldn't have our gear or gas-x.... :D

Rock on......

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

Originally posted by wraub:

p.s. That guy's a tool.

I'll see your tool and raise you a collection of them.

That guy is a complete tool box.

I see your tool box and raise you a Radial Arm Saw and a full English and Metric set of ratchets.

And a box of #8 1 1/2 bolts with the nuts on it.

...wow I'm dumb. Why am I even posting this? :freak::freak::freak:

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

p.s. That guy's a tool.

A few tools short of a tool box is more like it.

Although he probably has more musical talent in his right buttcheek then I will ever have, but still...

p.s. That guy's a tool.

i agree. on the other hand if i wasn't on the forum all the time (and had talent to begin with) i might be victor wooten...ok maybe not like how victor is now, butmaybe how he was the first day he started playing.
Insert inaccurate quote here

I know one or two, mostly guitar players (who would've guessed huh :D ). It's them that question my "musical integrity" when I tell em I'd play with anyone, regardless of the genre, as long as they put their heart in it. They would rather be true and stick to a certain genre ...

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

If I had a son I'd be willing to put the bass down for awhile, go outside and play with him. The benefits of father-son bonding cannot be measured in material terms.

As for the rest, I refer to my Dale Carnegie quote below; it says a lot. Use it on your friend.

:thu:

Originally posted by Fred the bass player:

If I had a son I'd be willing to put the bass down for awhile, go outside and play with him. The benefits of father-son bonding cannot be measured in material terms.

As for the rest, I refer to my Dale Carnegie quote below; it says a lot. Use it on your friend.

:thu:

Yeah, I want to give your sig a big thumbs up, Fred--great quuote! :thu:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Hey Chew,

It sounds like you ran into a fanatic. Be it music, religion, vitamins, exercise, or whatever - remember that there are afficianados and there are fanatics. The biggest difference is that the fanatic think it's their job to convert you whether you agree or not.

For example, Jeremy is into bass and swimming (among other things). He's damn good at both. He might mention them. If you ask, he'll talk more about them. But when we met he didn't throw me in the pool.

I run dangerously close the aff/fanatic line at times. One time is when I meet a bassist who doesn't know about this board (they must think I'm nuts). I've also seen people's eyes glaze over when I talk about the band Cactus. At least I try to notice that and shut up (well, usually ;) ).

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by BenLoy:

I know plenty of successful musicians who own houses. They spend money to keep them up, too.

Sheesh.

Thas what I was gonna say. As if we all should be living in rundown downtown hotel rooms and calling our axes our wives and stuff.Picking up coctail waitresses and Having Jim Beam for breakfast. No time for any sort of relationships or normal life because by golly were gonna make it in this town!! :rolleyes:

Your friend a buffoon. I don't care how well he plays, there is no substitute for living.

What does your friend think of some of the heavy weights in this business? What does he think of them for having a home and family - this is a rhetorical question, I couldn't possibly care. What is he comparing HIS life to? He has no experience of his own to compare. His opinions are only conjecture.

When it comes to playing with your children, why not be playing music with your children? Good counter point to that guy. When I have kids (Note to self: Must first find woman who can put up with my wanderlust, impregnate woman, then have kids) I plan on being a major part of their lives, whether it's sports, music, civic, etc.

Anyway, how much music is out there about how you are sleeping in your mom's basement and have to hitch a ride to your gig, as compared to the stuff that's really important in life?

Archived