Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Foul language on forum

jimbojones

Originally posted by Adamixoye:

I don't have kids, but when I do, it will be clear that whatever they hear on the playground, etc. is not acceptable speech in my home, and steps will be taken to make sure that all that stuff (be it from movies, TV, whatever) will be rare if not nonexistent in my home.

My kids are 22 and 19. Outside of the occational "D**N" and "H**L", they don't swear in front of me.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by jimbojones:

This happened to me on another forum, which sucks because I swear on EXTREMELY RARE OCCASIONS!

Not too many years ago, to say that someone or something "sucks" was considered pretty vulgar. I certainly never would have used that expression around my parents. Think about it.

Bruiser

Originally posted by Adamixoye:

Originally posted by Tedster:

Well, actually, what you are free from are individuals who choose to post those sort of pictures, which the LDLD doesn't have......(long pause)....at the moment. They could turn up anywhere, at any given time.

Okay...depressingly true.
Are you guys trying to say it wouldn't be good if i had a picture of my penis as my avatar? You wouldn't notice... :cry: btw, can anyone explain how to make an avatar? I'm one of the only regulars without one.
Insert inaccurate quote here

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Big Red 67:

Kids know this language by the time they are four(NPR story).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We've bumped heads on this before, so I don't mean to revisit that, but I can't help but say what a horrible argument. X number of people in this world are killed, raped, etc. every year, so I guess that means it's okay to let it happen.

I don't have kids, but when I do, it will be clear that whatever they hear on the playground, etc. is not acceptable speech in my home, and steps will be taken to make sure that all that stuff (be it from movies, TV, whatever) will be rare if not nonexistent in my home.

It's impossible to be completely sheltered from this stuff, I understand. But just because kids have heard it before doesn't mean it's a good thing or even okay to continue hearing it.

Sorry left something out. The story spoke about not just the fact that kids know this langauge, they know when not to use this langauge. Kids don't get enough credit sometimes.

Originally posted by Social Critic:

Hey, you think he just got forty or so PM's on how to make an avatar?

I'm only sure about one PM. Getz - ask me about this next week at rehearsal.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Bruiser:

This happened to me on another forum, which sucks because I swear on EXTREMELY RARE OCCASIONS!

Not too many years ago, to say that someone or something "sucks" was considered pretty vulgar. I certainly never would have used that expression around my parents. Think about it.

Bruiser

The word sucks is extremely accepted now (or atleast in San Francisco). All of my peers AND teachers say it all the time, and I go to a very good high- school.
primus sucks

but I can't help but say what a horrible argument. X number of people in this world are killed, raped, etc. every year, so I guess that means it's okay to let it happen.

Adam I'm not making an argument. I think children should be helped in learning how to handle the situation. To draw more attention to an offensive event is counterproductive in my mind.

On killing and rape: Violent crime has dropped per capita for more then thirty years. The most dramitic is the fact that this trend is true even for the year that 9-11 occured. Even with that horrid event and staggering loss, that year stood out as a amaising symbol of success. This is good news! A reason to celibate!

Sorry left something out. The story spoke about not just the fact that kids know this langauge, they know when not to use this langauge. Kids don't get enough credit sometimes.

I still don't get it. That doesn't mean that constant exposure to language doesn't skew how we use it. Even if some kids (because trust me, it's not all) know that it's not appropriate, that still doesn't make it a good or even okay thing for them to be exposed to it.

It's a bad argument all the way around. Being exposed to foul language is not even in the same league as saying it's okay to let rape and murder happen. A parent should also take some responsibility in letting their kids look over their shoulder if there's something that they don't want the kids to see. If one had young children, and wanted to watch an R rated movie (some violence) in the privacy of your bedroom, it's up to you to tell the kids you're watching a movie you don't want them to see...and not let them in. Not that we're condoning that this should be an R rated board...but, this forum has been likened to a pub on numerous occasions. To me, that's a fair analogy, a pub. Not a strip joint or XXX movie house, but a pub. Here's the rub, all of the customers in said pub need to mind their manners. But, if a parent brings their young kids in to have a burger basket at the pub, the parent also needs to be aware that they're bringing their kids into an environment where certain things might be said that they don't want their kids to hear or see. For that, there's McDonald's down the street.

Although people might have objected to the dancing girl avatar, she was clothed, and one could see more provocative displays on MTV or the Penney's catalog. I find the things that are more personally offensive to me are the occasional displays of people poking fun at those with disabilities...and I've voiced my take on several instances there. As for provocative pictures, for me, the criteria is someone posting something that could have me fired or reprimanded for having displayed on the screen...basically, no nudity, overtly disgusting images (pictures such as are on that "rotten" website), or excessively violent pictures.

That said, both sides of this argument, myself included, can do all we can to try not to offend. But, the attempt to be non-offensive can get pretty silly, even if you're only talking about gear. We've had arguments where someone will diss a certain piece of gear, only to find out that someone else on the forum works for the company that's been dissed...and it's started arguments. So, basically, we ALL need a bit of tolerance and humor, and be slow to get our knickers in a knot over stuff that doesn't matter anyway.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Tedster:

It's a bad argument all the way around. Being exposed to foul language is not even in the same league as saying it's okay to let rape and murder happen.

I'm not saying it's the same. I'm saying I have problems with any argument that starts off with, "it's going to happen anyway" (in this case, "the kids know the words by the time they're 4"). So what? LOTS of stuff is going to happen anyway...that doesn't mean we just let it happen. And by the way, they're are LOTS of foul words and the like that I didn't become aware of until I was in college. It's possible to protect kids from some of this stuff.

Big Red...you made a very amusing typo a few posts ago. I'll just let you figure out what it was.

Bruiser

The word sucks is extremely accepted now (or atleast in San Francisco). All of my peers AND teachers say it all the time, and I go to a very good high- school.
I'm sure you're right. Just keep in mind that what's acceptable in high school (even a very good one) may not be acceptable in all settings. Would you expect hear a minister say that in church, or a judge in court? The CEO of a large company in a stockholder meeting? I don't think so.

Every now and then it's good to crack open a dictionary and see what you're REALLY saying, not just what the current slang usage of the words may be.

I'm not easily offended by colorful language; I was in the navy and I can swear up a blue streak. I just thought it was funny that you used that term to describe a situation where someone criticized your use of offensive language.

Bruiser

Dude (adam) I am dyslexic. I wouldn't be able to see it even if I wanted to.

I agree with you, why are you so damn angry.

I am not proposing that we teach profanity in kindergarden.

I think understanding and tolerance go alot further then angry statements.

I have been stomped on lately in my life, I am going thru alot of very painful events right now. I come to this site to find support, creativity, information, and friends. That's not where you are coming from, are you?

What you aren't seeing is that I am trying to show you I don't disagree with what you are saying. I think it should be handled a little differently then you do. Thats all.

Dude (adam) I am dyslexic. I wouldn't be able to see it even if I wanted to.

I did not know that. I didn't mean to offend you. Typos happen, dyslexia or not. You said something was a "reason to celibate!" I'm pretty sure you meant "celebrate". It's a very interesting typo, that's all.

As for me being angry, I think you are reading in a lot of anger that is not in my posts (at least in this thread). All I'm saying is, I think there's value in sheltering kids from things, even language that they may hear on the playground. If they then are exposed to it, then you deal with it. But I don't want to assume that kids are going to hear it, and then get lazy about allowing it. That's the argument I usually hear, and the one I thought you were making. If you were making a different argument, then I guess I'm wrong.

And, back to the thread, I appreciate that this forum keeps things to a minimum. That's all.

I'm sure you're right. Just keep in mind that what's acceptable in high school (even a very good one) may not be acceptable in all settings. Would you expect hear a minister say that in church, or a judge in court? The CEO of a large company in a stockholder meeting? I don't think so.

I actually have heard a priest say sucks during a homily at a funeral I went to.
primus sucks

Hey Jimbo - I used to live in SF...

damn I miss it. Yeah I left my heart there(drumroll/cymbal crash)

But anyhow, foul language should never be an issue here, because when I'm here, I'm only thinking about music.And the Bass. The whole big picture. I'm not thinking about swearing, just playing - and when I'm looking for advice I appreciate the feedback from established(albeit sometimes condescencing wiseass)bass players that visit this place.

And yes, Bass players have more class. For the most part.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Not offended. Frustrated, could not find it!! I am wrong about the anger. I must have mistaken passion for anger. I still don't know the difference of the words, have to look them up! It was a spell check error, if the word it gives me looks better then the one I tried to type I have to assume it is the right one. I don't really have much choice. If I looked all the words I struggle with I would post once or twice a day at most. hehehe

I do think the issue is on topic, that is the only reason I tried to make what I was saying clear.

Big Red: from dictionary.com:

cel·i·bate

n.

1. One who abstains from sexual intercourse, especially by reason of religious vows.

2. One who is unmarried.

adj.

1. Abstaining from sexual intercourse, especially by reason of religious vows.

2. Unmarried; unwed.

As for the swearing issue i think pretty much everyone on this forum (including myself) has enough common sense to know when that language is appropriate or not, and personally i think children shouldnt be sheltered from foul language, we should be taught about it. I'm 14 and i'll admit i do my fair share of swearing when i'm hanging out with friends of mine or my older brothers, but when speaking to most adults or when in class/at work i know that its not appropriate to speak in the same way and i dont use words that i would in a more casual setting because i've been taught how to control my usage of certain words. Of course like anyone there are times when i cant control my langugage, for example, if i cut myself or something like that accidentally i'm not going to yell out "HOLY FUDGE THAT HURTS LIKE A BEACH!" ;) .

peace

Archived