Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Foul language on forum

jimbojones

I did a search and did not find out any information about swearing on the forum. I myself don't swear, but I also don't want to possibly be booted off of the forum for doing so. This happened to me on another forum, which sucks because I swear on EXTREMELY RARE OCCASIONS! I just need to get this question off my chest.
primus sucks

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey jimbojones,

Thanks for the consideration of other members of the board. This is a family board, I personally use it in my kitchen, my school office, my school library, my public library and my friend's music store. Lots of eyes to protect.

We generally don't swear, but we rarely edit swearing either. Certain language is not appreciated; sometimes a member will put a warning in the thread title if they are beginning a thread in which they plan to include adult content.

We try to strike a balance between free speaking and community decency. I've probably edited swearing out of less than 10 posts over the past few months.

In general, as we've discussed before, there are definable characteristics that seem to make people choose the bass. Among them seem to be a nice sense of community and common decency; that's not as true in a community of, say, trumpet players! :D

(Do a forum search on the characteristics of bassists and you'll find entertaining reading.)

Kicked off a board? I certainly don't think that anyone who's made a significant contribution, such as yourself, should ever worry about that.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Originally posted by Dave Brown:

Kicked off a board? I certainly don't think that anyone who's made a significant contribution, such as yourself, should ever worry about that.

How about those of us (like myself) who haven't made a significant contribution? btw, what forum did you get kicked off?
Insert inaccurate quote here

I use this forum at school sometimes before guitar lessons so I was also wondering if this was a family forum so I wouldn't get in trouble at school.

The other reason I was asking this is because I don't see any indication anyhwere of this being a "G rated" forum, so I was starting to worry that I was possibly missing out on other forum rules.

The forum I got kicked off of was a tippmann paintball forum for using astricks too! I got turned into a guest from a forum member!

The reason I am posting this is because I love this forum and it is, hands down, the best forum I have ever been a part of. (Paintball forum is full of preteens who can't use apostrophes or commas LOL). And I would hate to jeopardize my part of it or offend this community of all- around great people.

Peace outside!

primus sucks

This is an excellent forum (speaking of all the musicplayer.com forums), IMO, because hopefully most participants are capable of policing themselves. No "Topic Gestapo"...things of that nature. For the most part, anything goes...within reason. Once in awhile, an expletive comes through (I do it, but I try to keep it toned down...and only when it is nearly unavoidable).

The only two things that I've seen zero tolerance for are trolls and spammers, which, IMO, is as it should be.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Usually a good rule of thumb is to not post it in thread titles, don't make it bold face, and try not to overuse any one word. Actually, it's a pretty good idea to actually not overuse any words, whether they actually be profane or not, because that actually makes you sound like you actually don't know how to write a sentence that actually makes sense or actually conveys any actual meaning, right? :)

I've referred some young players (16-19) to this forum and to MusicPlayer.com as one of the better forums where their parents don't have to worry about what's going on. My experience here has been pretty cool to date, no complaints here.

Not that the young ones are isolated from language, I'm sure you can get a thorough education on sex and vulgarity by the time you hit middle school in most parts of the world, but it need not happen here. But we're all craftsmen and tradespeople here, we can rise above it. Plus there is a wealth of language that can express more than what the standard vo-cuss-ulary makes available. If you understood Mediterrannean, Arabic and Asian-based languages, you'd know that people tend to avoid the short-shock words and will rant on in more lengthy and descriptive terms. (ahem :D )

The benefit and wealth of information that young players can get from listening to some of us old fogies is immeasurable. Wish I had this when I was 16.

:wave:

Without turning this into a forum appreciation page, I will say that this is the first forum I have ever joined. Since doing so I have visited several others and found a bunch of goofing and disrespectful crud and very little real information or comraderie. I was told that "This is not your typical flame and war forum" and at the time had no idea what that meant. Now I see the truth.

This is by far the best out there and now, let me list some significant LowDowners . . . KIDDING!!

:D:D:D

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Each forum has it's own unique purpose. I participate in many (some here on Musicplayer.com) that I can get quite brutal, outspoken, and rather coarse in. It is part of the fun.

HOWEVER, I really appreciate my fellow LDL's (and this forum) because this forum is so civil, respectful, and instructive. The other forums are for play, LDL is for one of my main passions and true enjoyment in life: playing and learning about bass instruments and gear, and meeting bassists of all ages, styles and genres.

Rock on, LDL. Let's keep on keeping this forum civil! :thu:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I have made approximately 60-80% of my posts on the MusicPlayer.com forums on the LDLD. The rest have been in the G****r Forum, with one or two posts in a single thread in the Drum Forum (to ask a question about a gift I wanted to buy my brother). I won't touch SSS or Political. That's just me.

The LDLD is the best. I will say that unequivocally. I like the G****r Forum overall but recently was frustrated by a series of family/kid-unfriendly posts (and when I vented about it, it turned into one of the top 3 most controversial threads I've ever started). When I visit the LDLD, I am free from offensive pictures. There is some language, but it could be worse.

Props to all of you who recognize that having respect for your fellow forumites isn't an infringement on your free speech.

Originally posted by Adamixoye:

When I visit the LDLD, I am free from offensive pictures.

Well, actually, what you are free from are individuals who choose to post those sort of pictures, which the LDLD doesn't have......(long pause)....at the moment. They could turn up anywhere, at any given time.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Tedster:

Well, actually, what you are free from are individuals who choose to post those sort of pictures, which the LDLD doesn't have......(long pause)....at the moment. They could turn up anywhere, at any given time.

Okay...depressingly true.

Originally posted by rockinredneck69:

Sheesh, I thought this would be a discussion on chickens...just as well that its not.

Neither is this a discussion of errant baseballs. Please redirect your ESPN driven browser now...

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I have my own version of joining respect for people with the real world. What that comes down to is that we don't tolerate the "f" word, but you can imply it with special characters (so I haven't edited wraub the wise guy).

Some sexual inuendo we can deal with, but there are limits (which are admittedly arbitrary).

Pictures in a post can be edited. Avatars come from the MusicPlayer sign-on, and so the LD mods can't change them. We have gotten excellent support from Craig Anderton (more or less the godfather of the forums) and Dendy Jarrett (system admin) when an avatar issue has come up.

I agree that there are few forums where people are respected as much as they are on the LD.

I also recommend For The Band - lots of fun stuff, and CMDN makes that his home for band stories.

Thanks to all for keeping this a great place.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

What that comes down to is that we don't tolerate the "f" word, but you can imply it with special characters (so I haven't edited wraub the wise guy).

Good, so I can imply "franklin"! :)

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Pictures in a post can be edited. Avatars come from the MusicPlayer sign-on, and so the LD mods can't change them. We have gotten excellent support from Craig Anderton (more or less the godfather of the forums) and Dendy Jarrett (system admin) when an avatar issue has come up.

off topic, but who was the guy who had the lady avatar(i believe she was dancing) a few months back and got flamed into changing it?? was it 0-9??

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

Originally posted by wraub:

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

What that comes down to is that we don't tolerate the "f" word, but you can imply it with special characters (so I haven't edited wraub the wise guy).

Good, so I can imply "franklin"! :)

Peace,

wraub

Just as long as it's Benjamin Franklin.

I swear like a drunken pirate. Constantly. Even I can usually refrain from doing so here.

Click me to hear Meatwad talk about dropping fbombs. I assure you it's work and/or child safe.

In a world where the beep out hole and not ass on TV when the word ass**** is used, trying to find a logic in the way foul language is dealt with seems impossible. Kids know this language by the time they are four(NPR story). Who are we protecting? God? I don't think anything can be hid from God. I think if you are just yourself we can figure out how to live with it.

Originally posted by BigKahuna855:

off topic, but who was the guy who had the lady avatar(i believe she was dancing) a few months back and got flamed into changing it?? was it 0-9??

It was rocksynthman, and he didn't get flamed into changing it. A few comments were made, then he started a thread to ask who thought it was offensive. A variety of opinions were expressed, a few tangents in the thread were mildly heated, but overall it was an adult discussion and he decided to remove it for the sake of those who objected.

A quality move on his part, unfortunately from what I've seen it's the type of move that's common on the LDLD, but not elsewhere.

Other than the occational lapse into Anglo-Saxon vernacular (of which I am guilty on occation), the forum stays relatively clean.

I think it is generally refreshing that people here can almost always seem to converse on topics, even controversial ones, without the language.

Despite the "everyone uses it" excuse, it is still friggin' classy to not need the explitives.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Originally posted by Big Red 67:

Kids know this language by the time they are four(NPR story).

We've bumped heads on this before, so I don't mean to revisit that, but I can't help but say what a horrible argument. X number of people in this world are killed, raped, etc. every year, so I guess that means it's okay to let it happen.

I don't have kids, but when I do, it will be clear that whatever they hear on the playground, etc. is not acceptable speech in my home, and steps will be taken to make sure that all that stuff (be it from movies, TV, whatever) will be rare if not nonexistent in my home.

It's impossible to be completely sheltered from this stuff, I understand. But just because kids have heard it before doesn't mean it's a good thing or even okay to continue hearing it.

Archived