Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guns N' Roses: Appetite for Destruction

This afternoon I learned some new songs that Mister Miyagi will be going through tonight at rehearsal. Two of the songs were from the utterly skull-crunching first offering from GnR, Appetite For Destruction. The two songs? "Paradise City" and "Sweet Child O Mine". Both are simple, fairly straight ahead rockers. That got me listening to the rest of the album on my studio monitors at riduculous volumes. Damn. That whole album just absolutely kills. I knew it was good, I knew I liked it, but it's been way too long since I've listened to the entire thing. I now know how to play the entire thing, so if anyone wants to start a GnR tribute band... :D

Seriously. Give it another listen or go buy it if you don't own it. Sit down. Turn the volume up. Prepare to be destroyed. That is all.

The other new MM songs I learned, for anyone keeping score at home were:

The Go Go's - "Our Lips Are Sealed"

The Bangles - "Hazy Shade of Winter"

Joan Jett - "Bad Reputation"

Mighty Mighty Bosstones - "Impression That I Get"

Bon Jovi - "Livin' On A Prayer"

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Bump! That's an interesting combination of tunes there.

Appetite for Destruction absolutely kicks a$$! It is my favorite GnR CD. All the tunes are good solid rockers. I don't think that there is a single weak song on the album.

The only way to listen to it is LOUD! :thu:

Rawk On Dude!! :D

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Hey Bump!!

I remember where I was first time I heard "Welcome To The Jungle."

You're right - kick ass recording! We do a hot version of "Mr.Brownstone." :thu:

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

An outstandingly rock-filled album. I'm partial to the grittier tunes rather than the two you need to play with the Wax On Crew. Matturotatorcuff named two of my faves.

They were crazy, those GnR kids, but they knew how to bring the rock. It was hearty and raw on that CD.

Peace.

--s-dub

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Some great bass playing on that one. With that nasty, ragged pick p bass tone thats so cool.

I've read and heard rumors that that was doctored up by some studio bassist. I'm not saying I believe it,but I've heard things. Has anyone else heard of such a thing?

Weird.

I actually contemplated starting an Appetite Appreciation thread last week after listening to it several times on a road trip. However, since I'm too lazy to start a thread, I did not.

First time I'd heard it in a long time, and yes, it still rules. :thu:

Ah, nice marmot.

Before its initial release i had the "home grown" version of the tracks on cassette way back when from a bud who frequented L.A, before the songs went main stream on a major label.

I was a fan instantly. Sadly fame was too much for them. I got see them on the last tour, we were lucky enough to have axel show up. Bucket head was on guitar.

Check out my work in progress.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

...Two of the songs were from the utterly skull-crunching first offering from GnR, Appetite For Destruction. ...That whole album just absolutely kills.

...so if anyone wants to start a GnR tribute band... :D

For that stranded-on-a-desert-island trip, I'd pack "Appetite..." along with AC/DCs "Highway To Hell". Both are major rock milestones and survive the test of time just as well as some of the ones from my g-g-g-generation. :D

Ironically, my singer works with a NJ G&R Tribute Band called Get Your Guns Check them out, but if you steal my singer... remember I'm from Jersey...

:D

Appetite reminds me of the 8th grade and how much they'd play Paradise City on MTV. I actually taught a student Sweet Child 'O Mine yesterday. I read in one of the bass magazines that Duff is using the GK. 2000RB along with an 800RB for a distortion mix. In addition he uses some Marshall amps and cabs for recording at least. I know in the GnR days he was a GK800RB guy all the way.

My favorite off that album was Rocket Queen.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

Sweet adds to the set-list there! Appetite for Destruction has been a favorite album of mine since it came out, aahhh those were the days...just learning how to party and just recently out on my own. There isn't a bad song on the disc and its a good one to mess with eq settings to see what ya can pull out.
Donnie Peterson

a former band of mine -- sort of a backporch torch and twang kind of cover band -- played a mean, a capella rendition of "mr. brownstone".

i dig "appetite" quite a bit, but i'm more of a "use your illusion II" guy, myself.

the much-rumored "chinese democracy" is so titled because its release is equally likely as its namesake.

robb.

Arugably GNR's finest work. It was the album the defined the "quintessential" GNR. Broke them out of the club scene and into national prominence.

Then Slash's and Adler's drug use and Axl's hat size destroyed the band. They quite possilbly could have been this decade's Metallica.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

my band was gonna do welcome to the jungle and sweet child o' mine. until after about 4 runs at it our singer decided that he did not want to sing them anymore. we had just about nailed welcome to the jungle by then. oh well i just gotta break out the cd and learn it for myself and then just kick the singer in the butt.

Rocket Queen yeah! My fav also.

I used to listen to that tape over and over...and then I bought the cd, and then I downloaded all the songs...

Speaking of a sore throat, I have also been handed lead singing duties, for the cover band I'm in. It's not GnR, but AC/DC Highway to Hell.

I've pretty much got it down, so maybe we can do some GnR now...

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Originally posted by Social Critic:

They quite possilbly could have been this decade's Metallica.

What a relief. One Metallica per decade is enough for me. Personally I'd award the "Metallica of the decade" award for the 1990s to the Foo Fighters, No Doubt or Soundgarden.

So would Pink or Eminem be this decade's Metallica? Talk amongst yourselves...

Originally posted by Fred the bass player:

Originally posted by Social Critic:

They quite possilbly could have been this decade's Metallica.

What a relief. One Metallica per decade is enough for me. Personally I'd award the "Metallica of the decade" award for the 1990s to the Foo Fighters, No Doubt or Soundgarden.

So would Pink or Eminem be this decade's Metallica? Talk amongst yourselves...

Eminem would be this decade's Eminem. Pink would be this decade's Lemmy. :freak:

Soundgarden I'll give you, but No Doubt? :freak:

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Other than the big hits, I don't know this stuff. During that time period, I didn't have cable and did have kids. I stoked myself with all the Elvis Costello I could get.

I'll find a copy to borrow. I'm betting I'll like it just fine.

Since I struggle singing much easier songs, I wish you the best. Despite the band's name, I don't think you'll be doing "wax on wax off" to get your voice there....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

What I liked best about G'n'R was that in that era (hear me talk :D ) it was still shocking to say things like "f*ck *ff, b*tch" and it really comes through in the records and in the production: you can hear it loud and clear, and Axl really stretches the F, and really makes the B explode, if you know what I mean. That struck me as quite funny (and dated) when I heard it again a while ago.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Yeah Eddie.I know exactly which line you are referring to. Great song. But very dated...

This decade's Metallica?

I give you 2 possibilities...

Korn

or

Linkin Park

-as far as fan base, size/extent of tours, genre of music(duh), number of albums, etc etc you get the idea.

Agree/DisAgree?

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Archived