Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

When band frustration sets in, we start to look elsewhere

Rick Hoffman

I'm frustrated we're not playing out. Its been a good 3 months! I know thats not a long time, but once a week rehearsal just might not be cutting it. I saw a lot of good bands this summer and I know mine's better.

Thats frustrating ain't it?

So there are a couple bands out there I'm checkin out that have shows lined up but no bassist, due to whatever.

But I think I'm gonna stay with my current band till something makes me go - because they are the best I've jammed with yet.

So- I really wanna play out but I'm really comfortable with my bros in the band so I think I'll give it more time.

What would John Paul Jones do?

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The question is ... What would Lemmy do?

Seems to be quite a spate of band dissatification this week. This is the third "My Band ..."

Since I'm not currently in one (helping my son with bass lines for his "nu-metal" band, boy is THAT a hoot!), is there something about Labour Day and bands going to crap?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Hey matt, nah we've done NONE of that stuff. I would love to - and just as a means to get more gigs, I mean none of use expect to climb to the top of the charts or get signed we're in it for fun - but even if I'm in it just for fun I pursue it with a certain attitude, like, we have to do our best out there...

My band-mates are all married, I don't wanna say burnouts but they tried the whole get famous thing in the LI music scene heyday back in the 70s and 80s...now I think this is just a hobby to them. But when we get together we have a pretty serious band on our hands. I just want them to be as enthused as I am.

BTW Matt how's the ride? I might be getting a superglide...

Later

Market yourselves!!

It really doesn't take much. A couple pics and a decent demo. Even as a hobby these guys have gotta want to play out. It's in their blood!

A superglide? Oh you little dickens you!

I'm sold on the Lowrider - my wife needs a lot more convincing. She says I have to sell something first and that would be my Monster Bronco. Still thinkin' . . . .

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Cliff,

There's a big difference between never playing out and trying to "make it". Many of those bands you saw are playing 1-3 gigs a month....

You don't say why you aren't gigging. Are the members against it, or is it that no one wants to make the effort?

There are plenty of places on LI to play. If you show up to see a few bands, you can probably get an intro to the bar owner and wrangle a gig. If you do well, they'll invite you back. And if you do that in 2-3 places (and your band is on "slow" like mine), you'll have 6-8 gigs a year and build a following. And all that with a minimum of promo materials (though they would sure help).

Are you in Nassau or Suffolk?

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Hey Tom

I rehearse in Ronkonkama with my original band. Pretty much what we do is just show up, plug in and play for 3 hours and its just one long jam with a few breaks.Only problem is, no singer :freak: . We've auditioned a few but no dice. Still searching...as a band we all communicate well and after about 3 months we have enough to record a demo,we've been talking about sitting down and arranging all these jams but things are movin slow. Its just a little frustrating :mad: because I can say this is probably the best band I ever played in and I know we should be playing out now. Its almost like we're all on the same wavelength musically. It also helps that the guitar players have been playing guitar together for almost 20 years, they're best friends. And I am sorely missing my drummer ( he's on a leave-of absence).

Maybe I'm not seeing the big picture...I mean I am blessed to be surrounded by older more experienced guys and these guys force me to take it to the next level every rehearsal.

I also play in a cover band on thursday in Farmingdale. This band doesn't have a lead singer either - there must be a lead singer shortage going on and no-one knows about it :eek: . Anyhow, its fun none-the-less I sing backups and leads and the guitar player from my other band sings now.

So the cover band will probably be playing out soon, about another month or two before we'll take on an open night.

In case anyone cares, here's our set-list. It makes me very happy-

Highway to Hell ( I sing lead :mad: )

paranoid ( of course )

Cat Scratch Fever

Rockin in the Free World

Livin After Midnight

Cinnamon Girl

Smoke on the Water ( we have 2 guitars, one does a synth pedal type thing makes funky organ sounds )

War Pigs

Hand of Doom ( yea we like sabbath )

Jump in the Fire

Gel

Alive

Heartbreaker/Jam/Livin Lovin' Maid

and a few others that need to be perfected

Yea, Tom, I shouldn't complain. I should just play. :thu:

A promo pack helps. If the club owners can get a CD w/ 3-4 tunes you do on it, they're more likely to hire you. Include band pics and bios on the band-mates. Also, if your band isn't playing, it never hurt to get a fill-in gig here or there either. If you're band isn't playing, why can't you? It's money in your pocket that you're not making with your current gig.

Oh and I forgot to add neither one of us plan on being huge rock stars...we just wanna play out. I mean, just playing local gigs and havin a great time, to me, is makin it. Sure I'd like to record too and pass along some free CD's get a following going, etc...I want this to be something that I just do, for no explanation or reason. But it has to be good. If people love it thats great. If people hate it then I find a new band :D

Its just been a long time since I played out, like 10 years maybe its just that I wanna do it so bad. Also, I've picked up serious gear that I've never used in a live situation...Ampeg SVT-3 pro and a 6x10 cab which I think I will replace, under some good advisement, with 2 2x10 cabs. Easier to move, but one more trip. Which leads to my next post...

Hey Cliff I was just readin' your set list - my cover band also does Cat Scratch Fever and Smoke On The Water. People dig this old crap so we keep bangin it out. Also can't go wrong with J.C. Mellencamp - we do 3 of his.

Notes on promo packs:

When you do your demo consider just blurbing songs. Just fade in for 30 seconds or so and then out and in for the next tune. It gives the talent coordinater an idea of what you are about and they don't have to push buttons. Just give 'em the flavor.

Keep your literature to 2 pages. Use a cover for your pic/logo and the next for your bios and experience and don't offer these unless specifically requested.

Try and put yourself in a talent handler/promoters shoes. They don't want an armload of crap - they just want to hear what you sound like.

Also seek out a promoter in your area. The best thing we ever did in the cover band was to take the booking iout of the bands hands. The drummer was booking us into beer soaked closets and the last gig the guitar player booked was a St Patty's Day party at the O.K. Corral. I thought we were gonna get hanged.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Just checkin in before I go to work...

Another day at the salt mines...

Yea guys the cover -thing is fun

Matt- I'm heeding your advice, we need a promo pac and a demo - soon, very soon. We're almost there.

Thanks guys

(a) someone needs to do the leg work: make the phone calls, meet the club owners (usually there at lunch, dinner or when the club opens to take in alcohol deliveries) do the negotiations, collect the money, bookkeeping, yadda-yadda-yadda. call this person your booking agent. if you or your bandmates don't want to be bothered, it makes sense in the long run to pay someone 10-20% of your gross receipts (sliding scale) to do all that for you. It can be a full time job, which is why old farts like myself and some of your lazier members will go for this idea.

(b) plan where you want to gig. most bands map out a 30-60 minute radius from their homes and find 2-3 clubs to concentrate their efforts in. Play each club once every 2-3 months, build up a mailing list, and use the mailing list to justify your draw to the club owners.

Of course if this is too much work and you can't "afford" to hire a booking agent, you can just search around for local bars and compete with the local college kids who often play for $150 plus drinks for their fans and classmates. when you climb out of the basement or garage and into someone's club or a public venue, you're entering "the business", no matter what your ambitions might be. and your ambitions will change with how much you earn (or don't) and how much recognition you get (or don't) from the outside world.

Welcome to the "music business"! :wave:

Thanks Fred!

Yeah I hate to think of it as a business, but I guess it really is. And a cut-throat scumbag prick business at that.

I'm only in this to play out and have fun showin what I can do. I'm no Jaco or Wooten but those guys weren't the only bass players alive.

I wanna groove. I wanna play for hot chics, and possibly get to know them if ya know what I mean.

We're definately gonna hire someone to handle all of the leg-work, 'cuz I'm sure as hell not doin it. Nobody has time.

Mailing list...hmm...I can get about 300 addresses from my day-job rolodex.

HAHA downside? What my gear blowin on me or getting stolen? Do I need to hire a tech and a security guy, too?

Nah ya know how I'm gonna do it? Eventually I'm gonna get my own PA and soundboard,speakers,woofers, and tell the soundman he can sit it out. And be our own security. And tech.

So I need about another 5-7k to get all the gear and tools I'll need.

And I can't forget the spares.

Archived