Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

of Mixers, Amps, and speakers...

Bass_god_offspring

hey guys, i have a question about this sound system that i'd like to purchase.

i'm finally in a position that i can actually buy a PA system. i was at guitar center today, and i was recommend these items to make a full PA system(only running vocals through it):

RMX 850 Power Amp

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/48/481563.jpg

MG10/2 Stereo Mixer

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/63/630048.jpg

S112V Club Series V Speaker(2)

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/60/601201.jpg

the total system cost with cables would be $1,041.95

OR...

PMX2000 Europower Powered Mixer

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/63/631240.jpg

B1220 Eurolive 12 Inch 2-Way Loudspeaker

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/60/600591.jpg

cost....809.00

now i know that that sounds cheap for you guys, but remeber, i'm a high school student, with no job.

so would that make a good PA for practice, and playing gigs? thanks again. :)

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey BGO!

I can vouch for the QSC. Been dragging a 750 around for 10 years or more. Very loud, very tough, very heavy too!

Yamaha mains never have done much for me though. :thu:

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

ive just realized that that amp can't power those speakers, so i've changed it to:

Behringer EuroPower EP2500 Power Amp (2X1200W @ 2 ohms; 2400W @ 4 ohms bridged) 380.00

and

Yamaha S15E 15 Inch 2-Way Cabinet(250 watt/500 peak) 480.00

new cost.....1,010.00

any thoughts on Berhinger power amps? or should i just spend 500.00 for a QSC with 600 watts of power?

i just noticed that the Berhinger powered mixer has a "Power amp" input, wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a new power amp when i need more power, or is Berhinger equipment crappy?

sorry about all the questions, :( but this is very important to me, and your opinions are everything to me, since you all have experience, and knowledge.

thanks

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

Go for the cheaper options on the amp and speaker. Get a bigger board. Just in case.

Actually keep the better speaker, use the cheaper amp, I dont think the quality difference will make much difference in your situation.

I think you should get the yamaha with 12 or 16 inputs or at least one with the effects on it. The reverb and delay will come in handy. At least they'll be fun.

Good Luck!

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

BGO! I hope I'll be able to help you as I was in (and still kinda am) the same position as you were on PA system.

First off, go to www.carvin.com and check their stuff out. Their customer service is awesome, and they have great bang for the buck (which is what you're in search of). My personal experience with them has been nothing but outstanding.

Second off, what exactly do you want in your PA system? What are you going to use this system for? Just band practice? House parties? What?

From what you wrote, it sounds like you want something pretty high quality (especially for just vocals) that can have use in the long run.

One good way of doing this, is getting powered speakers. That means they have the power amp inside of, meaning you don't need to worry about a power amp for the speaker.

The cheapest solution this way would be going with those Behringer B300 speakers. Zzounds.com has these speakers (B stock) for $280 a piece. Then you'd just need to buy a mixer.

For the mixer, there's a large plethora of cheap ones you could go with. Most should be fine.

That way you could use the powered speakers no matter what as long as they don't break and the mixer for sub mixing the monitors.

Zzounds.com also has a 1400 watt Behringer power amp for I think $280 if you decide the mixer, power amp, and passive speaker solution.

I can tell you that the powered mixer isn't really the greatest solution as it's a bit trickier to upgrade, although slightly more conveignant as it's all one unit.

Mind you I've never really put this stuff to the test, my single 15" powered Carvin speaker and mixer have only been used for band practice, so I don't know how exactly how practical the power speaker deal is for gigging situation. Take my opinion as a grain of salt.

I hope that atleast gotcha thinking about some more options. Good luck with the buying a good PA!!!

In Skynyrd We Trust

BGO! I hope I'll be able to help you as I was in (and still kinda am) the same position as you were on PA system.

First off, go to www.carvin.com and check their stuff out. Their customer service is awesome, and they have great bang for the buck (which is what you're in search of). My personal experience with them has been nothing but outstanding.

Second off, what exactly do you want in your PA system? What are you going to use this system for? Just band practice? House parties? What?

From what you wrote, it sounds like you want something pretty high quality (especially for just vocals) that can have use in the long run.

One good way of doing this, is getting powered speakers. That means they have the power amp inside of, meaning you don't need to worry about a power amp for the speaker.

The cheapest solution this way would be going with those Behringer B300 speakers. Zzounds.com has these speakers (B stock) for $280 a piece. Then you'd just need to buy a mixer.

For the mixer, there's a large plethora of cheap ones you could go with. Most should be fine.

That way you could use the powered speakers no matter what as long as they don't break and the mixer for sub mixing the monitors.

Zzounds.com also has a 1400 watt Behringer power amp for I think $280 if you decide the mixer, power amp, and passive speaker solution.

I can tell you that the powered mixer isn't really the greatest solution as it's a bit trickier to upgrade, although slightly more conveignant as it's all one unit.

Mind you I've never really put this stuff to the test, my single 15" powered Carvin speaker and mixer have only been used for band practice, so I don't know how exactly how practical the power speaker deal is for gigging situation. Take my opinion as a grain of salt.

I hope that atleast gotcha thinking about some more options. Good luck with the buying a good PA!!!

well to answer your questions:

1.) i only need the PA for Vocals

2.) i've been to carvin though it seems that they over price a little bit.

the powered mixer; why would it be hard to upgrade, it has "power amp" imputs on it, so u could use an external, and more powerful power amp.

thanks alot, i'll check out those options.

:)

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

so, by what Da Lady in the Pink dress said, i can buy this:

Behringer B300 Ultrawave 300-Watt PA Loudspeaker

http://media.zzounds.com/media/fit,325by400/quality,85/brand,zzounds/B300_big-93ca12d6f2e01ecd033192b468893a37.jpg

and

Eurorack UB802 Mixer

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/63/631238.jpg

and it would work fine for practice and gigs(bars, small rooms with no more than 150 people)? :confused:

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

You don't have to buy the UB802 in particular. Just any mixer. I just needed 2 mic inputs (one for main and one for back) so that one works for me. You sound like you want some more, so determine how many XLR inputs you need and get that.

I'd say that 2 B300's would easily do a small gig of about 150 people.

In Skynyrd We Trust

The reason powered mixers aren't the most easily upgraded is that if you add that external poweramp, you still are carrying the one inside of the mixer.

Behringer has some pretty cheap options for decently powered powered mixers (like 800 watts). Make sure you look everywhere for good deals.

The guys at the Carvin boards are pretty good help albeit slow.

LadY

In Skynyrd We Trust

Buy your mixer with more mic preamps. You may not need them now, you will run out far faster then you could imagine!!! BigRed
Here's a good rule of thumb.

Add everything you think you might plug in, (mics, drums, etc.) and double it. it should come out to at least 12 :D:D

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Originally posted by mattulator:

Buy your mixer with more mic preamps. You may not need them now, you will run out far faster then you could imagine!!! BigRed
Here's a good rule of thumb.

Add everything you think you might plug in, (mics, drums, etc.) and double it. it should come out to at least 12 :D:D

I was thinking the oposite. Get a decent outboard preamp for the vocals and a powered speaker (which will be handy as fold-back down the track). You can then buy a straight mixer if you want to add more line level things (i.e. with their own pre-amp). This way, when you're using the house PA, you can use your own mic and pre amp and your own powered speaker for fold back so you'll sound on stage exactly the same as you do at rehersal.

This may end up being more expensive and less flexible....

A man is not usually called upon to have an opinion of his own talents at all; he can very well go on improving them to the best of his ability without deciding on his own precise niche in the temple of Fame. -- C.S.Lewis

alrighty, thanks for your suggestions, but one more question....

if i buy the option that Lady said (2 powered speakers, and a small mixer), how do i connect the powered speakers, into the mixer??? :confused:

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

Just have a cable going from the powered speakers to the main outs. Simple as pluggin' em in.

You might want to do a little more research into that powered speakers/mixer and some more vets. Give daklander a PM and he should be able to give you a pretty decent opinion.

Good luck with it!

In Skynyrd We Trust

i think i am gonna start off by buying one B300 for practice, since i already have a mic.

one last thing though. WHAT the hell does "B-stock" mean? thanks

(i PMed that guy for advice)

thanks again.

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

B-Stock

This inventory includes the full factory warranty and all parts, components, manuals, and so forth - as if you bought it new. Although it is guaranteed to work perfectly, it is not in absolutely perfect unused condition like our new inventory - in fact, these products may contain cosmetic blemishes that make it less attractive than Warehouse Resealed inventory. But they should be priced even lower! This is typically a purchase directly from the vendor, who may have used the product at a training session or at a trade show. This inventory is a great value.

One B300 should be more than adequate, considering you use a mixer. Just plugging a mic directly into the B300 won't give you enough of a signal to work with. You need a mixer to boost the signal so you can push the B300.

I hope you don't get a dud!

In Skynyrd We Trust

B-Stock

This inventory includes the full factory warranty and all parts, components, manuals, and so forth - as if you bought it new. Although it is guaranteed to work perfectly, it is not in absolutely perfect unused condition like our new inventory - in fact, these products may contain cosmetic blemishes that make it less attractive than Warehouse Resealed inventory. But they should be priced even lower! This is typically a purchase directly from the vendor, who may have used the product at a training session or at a trade show. This inventory is a great value.

One B300 should be more than adequate, considering you use a mixer. Just plugging a mic directly into the B300 won't give you enough of a signal to work with. You need a mixer to boost the signal so you can push the B300.

I hope you don't get dud!

get dud? :confused:

that's good to know about the B-stock, im not to picky, just as long as it works fine. so if i do ge a mixer and plug it into the powered speaker, would i just plug it into either the "line Out" Left of right?

im sorry again, for all the questions, it's just a lot of money (for me anyways).

PJR - it's "BGO" btw. :D

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

that's good to know about the B-stock, im not to picky, just as long as it works fine. so if i do ge a mixer and plug it into the powered speaker, would i just plug it into either the "line Out" Left of right?
yes. Although you'll need to make sure that you pan the signal somewhat to that channel i.e. don't pan to the left and plug into the right -- you won't get any sound. Here, the mixer is working as a single channel pre-amp. You could buy a single channel pre-amp that isn't connected to a mixer -- you'll get a better sound but less options down the track.

FWIW i'd try running the mic straight into a powered speaker, unless you know that you'll be adding a second mic soon or postage is a big deal (and you want to get the speaker and mixer at the same time). As you're not using a condensor mic you'll get some sound -- and it'll probably be good enough for rehersal at least. I can't see how you'd damage anything with this set-up.

A man is not usually called upon to have an opinion of his own talents at all; he can very well go on improving them to the best of his ability without deciding on his own precise niche in the temple of Fame. -- C.S.Lewis

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yes. Although you'll need to make sure that you pan the signal somewhat to that channel i.e. don't pan to the left and plug into the right -- you won't get any sound. Here, the mixer is working as a single channel pre-amp. You could buy a single channel pre-amp that isn't connected to a mixer -- you'll get a better sound but less options down the track.

FWIW i'd try running the mic straight into a powered speaker, unless you know that you'll be adding a second mic soon or postage is a big deal (and you want to get the speaker and mixer at the same time). As you're not using a condensor mic you'll get some sound -- and it'll probably be good enough for rehersal at least. I can't see how you'd damage anything with this set-up.

ok, thanks again to everyone who helped me out, tonight i am going to order that speaker.

:D

BGO

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

Actually, from my personal experience, you won't get a strong enough signal from plugging the mic right into the amp. I'd turn my amp up to full volume with just the mic plugged in and the speaker wouldn't be too loud (although it is a different speaker...).

I bought the cheap UB802 and that fixed the lack of gain/volume issue. You can try the mic direct, as you can pick up a cheap mixer at GC pretty easily, but I doubt it'll work (plus I bet your band is a bit louder than mine).

Well good luck with the new PA, as I said earlier, I hope you don't get a dud.

LadY

In Skynyrd We Trust

Get the Yamaha S115IV's if you can swing it.

Re: the Behringer PMX2000. I have one, use it with the yamahas and a couple floor wedges for smaller gigs, and really like it, but I had to replace the cooling fan in mine already. OTOH, it kicks serious ass, especially for the price. I guess I'm sayin' as long as it works, it kills, but if you have problems, and not much experience, well, you're sunk.

Re: the QSC RMX850. Whadaya mean, it won't power those speakers? I run one 850 bridged, thru the Yamahas as the top end of my "A" system (with two Peavey 1x18" subs and an RMX2450 bridged for the bottom end). Dead reliable for about 300 gigs so far.

While the Behringer and the yamahas are tempting from a simplicity/bang for the buck perspective, I think I'd opt for the QSC RMX850 and that little Yamaha mixer, in addition to the S115IVs. I'd have more confidence in the reliability of that setup. And while some chairs or crates will do for rehearsal, by the time you get to a gig, you'll want speaker stands to get 'em over the heads of the crowd. Also, scrape up another $100 and get a stereo 15-band EQ. You'll need one side to tweak your main FOH EQ, and before you know it, you'll want monitors, and the other side will be handy for EQing your monitor system, when you get it.

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

The B300 has a built in pre....

The B300 successfully combines high-tech materials, intelligent signal processing technology and innovative design, resulting in a multi-functional system with unique features like built-in EQ, ULN mic preamp and limiters.
from here

enjoy!

You can buy individual mixer strips. They are also called mic preamps. If you only need two strips you can buy a road case load the strip in the rack mount with the amp. The indevidual strips would give higher quality with the same amount of dough.

sweet, where can i go to get em?

(btw, i ordered the Powered speaker last night) :D

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

Oh, thats even better. If you are doing two channels you can buy one two channel also.

BSW

Musicians Friend

Sam Ash

Search on Mic, or Microphone preamp.

Compair prices, when you get an idea of what you want. You can spend as much or as little as you want.

Harmony Central

Harmony central has user reviews to check out the quality of the choices you are looking at!

Check ebay, most of the time it is a way to spend too much for what you get. Stick to your guns and wait it out untill you find what you want at the price you want.

Archived