Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

High pass filter

WCunha

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Big Daddy from Motown:

a 50 hz filter will cut low e volume by more than half. This is not a recipe for good bass tone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, it'll cut the fundamental of low E by more than half. The change in tone and loudness will purely be a reduction in subsonic rumble and a marginal decrease in weight.

quote:What sub sonic rumble? there's no subsonic rumble from a bass guitar.

Try and measure the weight of a low e. give me a break.

Look at your own frequency response plots there is no information below the fundamental frequency ot the note being played.

Yes there are harmonics that are louder than the fundemental note on a jazz bass, that's why it doesn't sound like a sine wave.

That doesn't alter the fact that reducing the amplitude of the fundemental is not gthe name of the game in sound reproduction.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found this link, suggesting that some people may prefer to use filters:

http://www.alexandermagazine.com/recordingeq/eq/req0104/bass.htm

Of course, most bass-players do not filter-out the sub-sonic...

I do recall from a course I took at one point, that the human ear does not need the "fundamental" to hear low notes. The ear/brain converts the harmonics to fill-in the "fundamental". That is why you can still make-out the bass on a small transistor radio.

quote:What sub sonic rumble? there's no subsonic rumble from a bass guitar.

There's quite a bit of subsonics in the attack of the note, due to the percussive content. Basically if you hold the string with your fingers and wiggle it, it'll put out ultra low frequencies that your amplifier will try and reproduce. When you pluck the string, in the period that your finger is touching the string, you get similar ultra low percussives. They're a waste of amp power and if your speakers respond to them could cause over-excursion and/or muddy up your tone.

Try and measure the weight of a low e. give me a break.

Talking about music is like dancing about architecture. But I thought 'weight' was a commonly used descriptive term for bass sounds.

Look at your own frequency response plots there is no information below the fundamental frequency ot the note being played.

No, there isn't any in the sustained note (which is plotted). But it's the attack that puts the serious demands on your amplification system.

Yes there are harmonics that are louder than the fundemental note on a jazz bass, that's why it doesn't sound like a sine wave.

That doesn't alter the fact that reducing the amplitude of the fundemental is not gthe name of the game in sound reproduction.

I thought the name of the game was to get good workable tone, that fits in the mix. And if reducing the amplitude of the lowest notes' fundamentals is so bad, why is the SVT-810 such a popular cab? Or the Eden 410XLT?

Alex

Depending on the size of the room,

Nemesis 2-10-200 watt

Nemesis 4-10-200 watt

or both together.

G&K RB700 head with

either 2 swr son of bertha';s (single 15+horn)

or with some combination of SOB and two Yorkville 2-10 cabs.

Mostly Blues on a PBass or Musicman.

Sometimes Jazz on upright.

Clubs here mostly don't have house systems .

Originally posted by The Very Rvd. Joe Grundy:

Any ideas anyone?

Sweet talk somebody from this side of the world and see if they'd be able to send it to you. Maybe set it up as a PayPal sale so you can include the price for shipping.

Archived