Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Upright/Standup. It's time.

moot

Hey everybody.

After selling my Ovation acoustic and seriously thinking about NOT buying a 5 string A/E after reading the threads here, I need advise on uprights.

I have only played 2 in my entire life. One was several years ago and was kinda small. I remember having to bend over slightly to play it and also remember being totally lost. Sidenote: The most prominent part of that memory is the guitar player looking over and saying "Dude, you're hatin' it." :D

The other belonged to the guy I sold my ovation to and it was taller than I am (I go 6' even) and I was instantly comfortable on it and kinda' dug the tone even though I was still lost. I just grinned plunked away until the guy gave me the 'ole "Ahem."

So, I'm exploring the option. I don't have piles of money but I realize the "get-what-you-pay-for" law applies here.

Ready . . . GO!

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all, if you were bending over slightly to play it, it means you didn't have the endpin extended far enough.

The endpin should be adjusted so that the nut is in line with your eyebrow...or higher, depending on how much upper register work you do.

See this pic of Edgar Meyer:

http://www.banffcentre.ca/communications/images/music_and_sound/2004_winter/images/edgar_meyer_l.jpg

Now as far as price...you're not going to be able to spend less than $2,000 and get anything that's worth playing...unless you get really, really, really lucky.

If you have any friends who play upright, I would advise them to go shopping with you.

Check out www.lemurmusic.com for good mail-order deals. Their "popularly priced instruments" section have some nice basses.

Also, what kind of music will you be playing on it? Jazz? Bluegrass? Classical? If you're not going to be using the bow much, an instrument with a plywood top might be a good option.

Check out David Gage's Instrument Buying Guide for good information about what you should be looking for in an instrument.

I guess I could clarify a wee bit.

I need something that can compete with acoustic guitar, congas and the singer in an unplaugged setting ie:campfire, park, TV studio. Style of music will vary.

I just posted this on the "Look what I found" thread - way out of my league. Probably 5 to $800 budget.

Mattulator, $5-800 will get you a crummy bass no better than a cigar box that will fall apart after 8 months.

I'm not talking about a professional quality instrument...I'm talking about something that won't fall apart on you or be unplayable.

Many cheap basses are so poorly made that you'll never get anything out of them except a poor, toneless thump and tendonitis.

Even a good plywood instrument will be around $2000...someone's selling a good one and doesn't know the value of it.

Read the David Gage article I posted and then come back to us.

Originally posted by mattulator:

I guess I could clarify a wee bit.

I need something that can compete with acoustic guitar, congas and the singer in an unplaugged setting ie:campfire, park, TV studio. Style of music will vary.

I just posted this on the "Look what I found" thread - way out of my league. Probably 5 to $800 budget.

Umm, no - not at that budget and maybe not at any budget. You're better off looking for a battery powered amp at that rate. Doesn't Crate make something like that?

Thanks ATM!

Now this is an interesting alternative. I have been nosing around for a small practice amp anyway. For $120 on sale it might be the ticket.

My only concern is the battery longevity. I read thru about 20 reviews and saw "battery lasts for hours" several times, but not even a ballpark as to real time. I went to the Pignose site to see if I could find specs but no luck. Their site sucks BTW. 6th grader with Frontpage could do better. :rolleyes:

My pleasure. I agree on the web site and vagueness of the battery lifetime. I got one and it sounds pretty good especially with the Funk Bass switch. My rhythm guitarist and I both plugged into it and jammed for a couple of hours and left it on for a few more and it was still performing. After we nail a few more songs, the two of us will head down to the beach with our acoustics and I'll plug into this to help my volume along.

I would also like to acquire an upright after playing for so many years in school. I visited a local shop, Real Guitars and they had an upright from the 40's, and not only that but it was a 5 string complete with side fret markers and bridge pickup. Absolute beautiful at just over $2K. I did get to dabble a little bit on the Hofner, first note I played was just a single E and it was screaming for Day Tripper. Well enough of the babble. Good luck!

ATM

Archived