Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yet another 'which one do you recommend' thread

bottle12am

Alright kiddies--

I need:: a 1x15 cab, 8 ohm, at least 300 watts, the smaller the cab size, the better (it's got to get into the back of a Camaro); trying to keep the price under $450 if at all possible

it will be paired with a GK800 head and an Eden 2x10 cab and used for rock and fusion

start naming, please -- money is burning a hole in my pocket!

"Women and rhythm section first" -- JFP

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'BOUT THE CAMARO

It's a 1999 and actually has a ton of space with back seat folded down-- problem is my rig has to squeeze through the doorway (going through the hatch is a no-no).

My Eden 2x10 is a tight fit to slide in this way, but will make it in with an inch or two to spare.

Most 1x12 cabs look like they would fit, as will the SWR Workingman's 15... only that SWR is only 200 watts, and I'm afraid the GK 800 (w/ 300 watts going to the bottom bi-amped) will pop that cone like it was prom night at NAMM. And I'm trying to stay away from the 1x12's as I'm afraid it'll diminish the thud I'm looking for by bi-amping in the first place.

BTW-- thanks for the input, guys. It's much appreciated!

"Women and rhythm section first" -- JFP

Originally posted by bottle12am:

'BOUT THE CAMARO

Most 1x12 cabs look like they would fit, as will the SWR Workingman's 15... only that SWR is only 200 watts, and I'm afraid the GK 800 (w/ 300 watts going to the bottom bi-amped) will pop that cone like it was prom night at NAMM. And I'm trying to stay away from the 1x12's as I'm afraid it'll diminish the thud I'm looking for by bi-amping in the first place.

You won't "pop" the SWR WM15T. You'll have a bit of extra headroom, which is always good. What's more, the GK is 300W at 4 ohms, and the WM15T is an 8 ohm cab, which means you're actually only pushing something like 240W into it. Try a search on headroom and "overpowering" vs. underpowering cabinets.

If your wallet will afford it, an Eden 1x15 will complement your 210 nicely.

Side note - biamping is a great idea in theory, but not executed so well in the 800RB. A search on this forum will likely turn up some feedback on this ... but the bottom line is that GK's "high" amps (100W on the 800RB) are pretty underpowered for driving a full-range cab. I had problems with clipping when driving my 210XLT with the "high" amp on the 800RB, and switched to full-range, with much better results.

Like m-m said, you're probably gonna wanna go full-range and not bi-amped w/ that GK head. Why lose out on the range that the Eden 2x10 can provide?!

As for smallish 1x15 cabs, look for a used SWR Son of Bertha. Reasonably small cab and will handle what you're dishing out. The WM 1x15 would probably also work just fine.

Lastly, a small 1x15 cab is not going to give you the kind of low end that a large enclosure will -- another reason not to bi-amp. You might be best off adding another 2x10!

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

EA (http://www.euphonicaudio.com) makes a 12 with lots of bottom and roundness. It works as a full-range speaker (no point bi-amping it from what I saw), but it is sweet and low. Our own Bob G deals them (which is where I tried it).

It would seem that as speakers and cabs get better, the need for bi-amping has diminished.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

as will the SWR Workingman's 15... only that SWR is only 200 watts
You should take a look at this thread, it has a lot of good onfi about overpowing speaker cabinets. You may be able to pull off the 200 wat cab.

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=007872#000003

Archived