Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

finding gold...

Hello all. While moving our 2 year old into his "big boy" bed, we moved a dresser that has a "junk" drawer in it. It was heavy and full of all kinds of crap, and the drawer ended up on my bedroom floor until tonight, when I had some time to sort through it and throw most of it away. Buried deep inside was a cassette labeled "originals/covers." On one side was a bunch of cover tunes I was learning in 1991 for a band that went nowhere. On the other side was a about 10 originals I had completly forgotten about. Some recorded on 4-track cassette, some just ideas whacked away onto micro-cassette and transferred. I've spent the last hour listening and remembering. Anyone else rediscovered their past recently? Frank p.s. Most of it is total crap. But there ARE ideas here and there that that might be worth hashing out. Could be fun...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh yeah, I've uncovered all sorts of idea tapes I've forgotten about. I've got zillions of them. I sort them out when I get stuck writting and I've made a bunch of songs from those old chord progressions, sung bits etc. Always finding a few I've completely forgotten about. It's cool surprizing yourself from the past. Sort of a time capsule...

Weird, man. I JUST found an old 4-track tape over the weekend. Must've been from my college days (early-mid '80's) judging by some of the covers on there: "Any way you want it, that's the way you need it, any way you want it." :rolleyes: It sucks cuz I don't have my 4-track any more. So I'd be listening to two tracks forward and then the other two in reverse. :) Anyway, there were several originals on there that I'd forgotten about...one in particular has a guitar riff that I KNEW was cool, but I couldn't remember it for the last 10 years to save my ass. I'll be dredging that one up for sure :D
None more black.

I have stuff buried, but I don't tend to forget about it. I've been recovering cassettes from my late 70's band (taking them to a studio and having them transfered to digital, with minimal cleanup). It's not something I have the cash for, so it's been going slowly. Last year it was some junk done in a basement when we were starting out. This year is the stuff we did in a studio ('77 technology was quite different). Next year will be the live tapes when we played a pub. Lots of good originals all round. But it's nothing new - I pull them out at least once a year to listen. Congrats to all those that recover their gold - whether in cash or on tape... Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

When I find the time to delve into my old four track boxes, I always find a song that I don;t remember, or one that has an element that survived into a different incarnation. On only one occasion that I can recall did the discovery take on new life--got picked up by my band at the time and became one of our more loved songs. Aside: I have a recurring dream, not frequent, that I discover in my record collection an album that I did. It always sounds great, and it always has a red cover.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Archived