Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why not a Carvin P bass?

_Sweet Willie_

Anybody know why Carvin doesn't offer a P bass (or P pickup in the neck position)?

They offer so many options, I'm surprised that one isn't a precision style, split coil pickup. I would think that there would be some interest from customers for at least 4-string P and PJ basses from Carvin. I certainly would consider one if I were in the market for a P or PJ bass.

I realize that there would be yet another routing program or two for the routing machines and the need to wind a different kind of pickup. However, given the size of Carvin now and the wide range of options already available, I would think this would be within the realm of feasibility.

Just curious. Any thoughts?

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I imagine they calcuated the cost of setting up a computerized router to carve out for the pick up and the cost of carrying the other kind of pick up and so on and felt it wouldn't sell enough to warrent doing. I guess they figure if you want Carvin you'll by what they sell and that not many people are holding out for the Carvin P bass when they can get Carvin's current offerings.

It does seem kinda odd now that you mention it though. I never even thought about it when I looked at their catalogs. I've had the old Jazz styled pickups and I've got the humbucker in the bridge/jazz in the neck and I liked both.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

For that matter, I thought it odd that they'll use other parts (Gotoh, Hipshot, et. al.) for hardware but not offer pickup alternatives from EMG, S-D or Bart. My guess is that either Fender wants too much to license their patents for the P-pickup or that the others aren't offering good discounts.

I know they used to use Schaller bridges and tuners, so I reckon Gotoh and Hipshot were more cost-effective. For that matter it would be interesting to know if the pickups are USA or foreign-made.

Just speculating. :wave:

I'm a big fan of Carvin basses (I own two), but if you really want a P-bass, you should probably buy a Fender. It's like asking why Gibson doesn't make a Strat, or why Ford doesn't make a Corvette. They just don't.

If you want an extended-scale bass with exotic wood, piezo pickups and a custom finish, you can buy that from Carvin. If you want a P-bass you can buy that from Fender.

I have formed the opinion that Carvin does what Carvin wants to do-- it's a privately-owned company, no stock holders to answer to, and they don't go after every single market that they possible could. They could sell more instruments if they made a P-bass clone (and sold it at Guitar Center), but that's not their business model. It's their business, and they seem to be doing okay.

Bruiser

Originally posted by Fred the bass player:

For that matter it would be interesting to know if the pickups are USA or foreign-made.

If I recall correctly, EVERYTHING is assembled in the US (maybe from foreign parts). Even the amps are assembled in Cali... I'd assume the pickups are wound in the Cali factory as well.

You may get an answer if you post over on the Carvin board. They (Carvin) seem to check in there often.

Be prepared to be blasted though. I own a Carvin as well. I posted a topic on them offering 3rd party electronics and got peppered by the Carvin faithful.

ps - I am expecting my custom Bartolini pups and preamp any time. :P

Bruiser, I own a Carvin LB-70 and I'm really happy with it. It's got two J p'ups that I replaced w/ Barts as well as the preamp. I love it even more now.

Steve, I believe Carvin takes great pride in how much of their basses and guitars are their own -- including electronics -- and the Carvin faithful buy into that ethos as well.

Although I believe it's possible, I have doubts that the additional routing pattern(s) and pickup fabrication/winding are that cost prohibitive. A licensing issue? Maybe, but I don't know enough about that. If you call it a "split coil humbucker" can you get around "Precision" licensing issues?

I do think that they would sell. And think about it, it would be possible to recreate those cool (and heavy) Fender P Bass Specials from the 1980s with walnut bodies, walnut necks, and active electronics! :eek::D

Given that it's only in the past few years that Carvin has added piezo bridges and MM-style humbuckers, I would think a P option would be in the cards. Bassists go to Carvin for jazz basses instead of Fender. I think that there are those among us who would consider Carvin for a precision or PJ bass as well.

Thanks for the responses. Maybe I'll post something on the Carvin forum... but maybe not. We'll see. Who knows -- maybe a search of that forum would produce an answer?

Additional comments are welcome!

Peace.

--s-dub

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by SteveC:

Be prepared to be blasted though. I own a Carvin as well. I posted a topic on them offering 3rd party electronics and got peppered by the Carvin faithful.

SteveC,

I read that thread and I didn't think you got blasted or peppered, by any stretch. You got honest answers from Carvin's customer service people, as well as the "faithful." Carvin is in the business of selling Carvin pickups and Carvin preamps. They're not in the business of selling Bartolinis, and they're not interested in getting into that business. That's their business.

Carvin is not a custom shop. They are a build-to-order shop. They have a wide selection of options, but not every option a customer can think of.

I have to ask: would you expect a Ford dealer to drop a Chevy engine into a Mustang for you?

Bruiser

Maybe I was just over-sensative that day. I was just offering a topic out for discussion. I realize Carvin is in the business of selling Carvin. I really like the look and feel of my bass. At first I liked the tone, too but my tastes have changed a bit. I almost always change out stuff on my basses anyway - that's just me.

Yes, there are people who buy Carvin pups and preamps and put them in other basses.

It just seems to me that quite a few of the people who play Carvin's play them exclusively and are VERY sensative when anything about them is questioned. I don't notice that as much with players of other instruments. Maybe it's just me.

I also received responses and emails from Carvin players who have also swithched out their electronics and said it brought a bass they already loved to a whole new level.

As always when tone is concerned, to each their own.

Originally posted by II Cliff Burton II:

So...let me ponder this thought...

If Carvin were around in 1967-68 or so, ya think JPJ would have been playin Carvin instead of Fender? If I knew what he plays now I guess I'd have an answer.

Carvin has been around since 1949, just as long as Fender.

I have suggested offering a P Bass pickup several times, but I guess it wasn't moved on. I also wanted to see a 24 fret bolt on 5 string, but who knows? maybe one day. If enough people ask, it may happen.

Originally posted by II Cliff Burton II:

...ya think JPJ would have been playin Carvin instead of Fender? If I knew what he plays now I guess I'd have an answer.

He still plays his old J-bass occasionally, however he usually uses these custom basses made by Hugh Manson.

Alex

FWIW, I would LOVE to see Carvin offer a P option.

I keep dreaming that my next 2 basses will be a pair of B4 kits (or Conklin, Sadowsky, Fodera, whatever), one fretted and one fretless... stained to match. Anyway, I'd really like the fretted to be a P/J.

If you order a kit or just a body, is there any chance they'd leave the neck position uncut???

- Matt W.

It could also be a deliberate marketing angle. They may only want to offer "Modern" basses. I believe they didn't even offer bolt-on necks on basses for many years, instead going set-neck and neck-thru.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Originally posted by lug:

It could also be a deliberate marketing angle. They may only want to offer "Modern" basses. I believe they didn't even offer bolt-on necks on basses for many years, instead going set-neck and neck-thru.

I think that's true. And why would they want to get into a market where there are already a hundred entries at every price point? It's not like you can't find a dozen p-bass copies at GC for $199 and up.

Bruiser

That is probably as true as anything. thier body and headstock design is more "modern" than say a "j" or "p" body and headstock. I like the design of their stuff. Like you said, you can find (or build as I did) a "P" or "J" bass anywhere.

Originally posted by Bruiser:

There's a "Carvin" P-bass on eBay right now:

"Carvin" P-Bass

It looks like he cut the Carvin logo off the front of a catalog and stuck it on with library paste.

No reserve!! :D

Bruiser

HOLY SHIT!!

Thats not even a good try for a carvin copy!! Look at this horrible paint job here!! http://i7.ebayimg.com/03/i/02/65/c1/79_3.JPG

It looks like the paint job on a Chrysler!! Thats a lotta orange peel there. :D

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

Originally posted by Mr. Phil:

Originally posted by Bruiser:

There's a "Carvin" P-bass on eBay right now:

"Carvin" P-Bass

It looks like he cut the Carvin logo off the front of a catalog and stuck it on with library paste.

No reserve!! :D

Bruiser

HOLY SHIT!!

Thats not even a good try for a carvin copy!! Look at this horrible paint job here!! http://i7.ebayimg.com/03/i/02/65/c1/79_3.JPG

It looks like the paint job on a Chrysler!! Thats a lotta orange peel there. :D

Hey! That's a Yamaha BB300 that's been painted over! That's the first bass I ever owned (the second is the EB/MM Stingray5!). I still have it sitting on a guitar stand upstairs. I probably should sell it because I never play it. I sounded quite good for a cheap passive bass, and it played really well. The pickups were noisy, that's about my only complaint. A studio were we recorded a few songs for a demo tape was able to make it sound really good. It didn't sound bad at all live either, going through a decent rig.

Mine had (and still has) a good and pretty rugged finish. Why on earth did whomever paint this bass (and do such a crappy job)? :evil:

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Archived