Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Modding ye olde Warwick - it now sounds like this:

alexclaber

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I definitely like the third take the best, in terms of it's tone.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Originally posted by 73 P Bass:

I thought the first take, with both pickups sounded best. There is so much high-end to your sound; it sounds like you're playing with a pick (are you playing with a pick?).

It does get a nice thick tone that really sits in the mix with both pickups on. I guess that's a lot of high end compared to a '73 P Bass - I wasn't using a pick, just my fingers about 2" from the bridge saddles, but digging in so far back does bring out all the top and growl of the bass. I'll often add some bass boost from the OBP-3 and used varying degrees of treble cut depending on how old skool I'm feeling.

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

I definitely like the third take the best, in terms of it's tone.

That was the sound I was missing with the old electronics - that growly solo'd bridged pickup, which suits fingerstyle funk down the the ground.

I feel I've sold the solo'd P-pickup short by playing that kind of line - it just loves Jamerson-esque lines or straightforward rock playing, bringing lots of wood and warmth to the sound.

Now I understand this bass better, I sometimes feel that it's a little too clean sounding, almost sterile. But it does respond well to technique and EQ and is perfect with big crazy effects, maintaining clarity even when covered with fuzz and filters. And it does record well and always cuts through on stage. A little lacking in character compared to an old P-bass (or an upright!) but it's a great workhorse.

Alex

Archived