Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Takin out the SVT for the first time tonight

Rick Hoffman

Hey

I've had this amp for a while now and I still haven't used it. I've been using studio gear for months, but now I think its time I brought my head, at least. Can't transport the cab, so I'm wondering how this SVT-3 will sound through an Ampeg 1x15 down at the studio.

I wish I would bring mine ( I need a truck )

Anyone wanna buy a mustang GT?

Anyhow I"m checking out the functions in the manual...very interesting amplifier. Groove tubes, hmm. GAIN...yesss my favorite dial.

450 watts RMS at 4 ohms? hmm this should work for the 1x15 I'll just check the back of the cabinet before I turn it up, the amp can go 4 or 8, most of em do I suppose...

This is my first really loud amp and I can't wait to take it out on a gig...but we need to get familiar first. This head and 6x10 cab has been sittin in the basement for what seems like forever. I'm not doing gigs right now but I guess I just wanted to be prepared.

Later...

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You bought a cabinet that doesn't fit in your car? Brilliant.

I don't understand what you need to "prepare" for. I'm assuming you haven't actually played through the rig, then.

Using an amp isn't that hard, but in case you need help, here are some step-by-step instructions (for the sake of brevity, I will assume you are able to transport the rig to the venue and get it on stage).

1. Plug the amplifier into A/C outlet as required

2. Plug the amplifier into the speaker cabinet using a speaker cable

3. Plug the instrument into the amplifier using an instrument cable

4. Turn on amplifier

5. Adjust settings on instrument to taste

6. Adjust settings on amplifier to taste

To break down, do the reverse.

Before you sell your car and buy a truck to haul around the cabinet, you might consider booking a gig. I would also do a cost-benefit analysis of the additional expense of the new vehicle (if the sole reason for buying a truck is to haul the large cabinet) to selling the cabinet and buying comparable components that may actually fit in your vehicle (like three 2x10'S).

I once brought a cabinet (an Acoustic 2x15) with me to an auto dealership to make sure it would fit into the car I wanted to buy.

Later I realized that it would be a little cheaper to find a cabinet that fit into a car than a car to fit a cabinet.

And now for the advice.

If you have never played really loud before, it will be a brand new experience.

Everything will sound and feel different.

Have fun!

Only time I ever really played loud was in the studio on a 300 watt behrenger, which is what most of our current recordings will have on it.

Yea, its been a while since I played a gig...back in my pure metal days and all I had then was a 200 watt peavey. I can't wait to get back out.

I have access to a truck if i really needed it, so breaking out the 6x10 would not be a major hassle.

I just joined 2 newly created bands so things are moving somewhat slowly, as I'm the most dedicated of either group, all anyone else can make is once a week for rehearsals. I'm ready to play every night, and I'm ready to play out, obviously.

Thanks to getz for showin me the finer nuances of the ampeg svt.

Jeremy you da man, too

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

I'd be currious to know how the gig goes with the new get up. What type of music do you play. Metal? By looking at your name. I'm debating beween 3 amps right now to replace my GK. An Ampeg SVT Classic, SVT 2Pro, or a Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

Originally posted by II Cliff Burton II:

I wish I would bring mine ( I need a truck )

Anyone wanna buy a mustang GT?

Truck Shmuck!!

My wife and I bought one of those new Scions by Toyota, last year. Yes the things that look like milk cartons on wheels. And let me tell you, I can haul all of my gear (1 2x10, 1 4x10, 2 basses, 5 sp. rack, 2 stands, 1 milk crate for misc.) and still have room for my wife, myself and either another bandmate or more gear. With none of the "oh shit it's raining" factor you get from a truck. Not to mention the incredible gas mileage. And for way cheaper than most new trucks. By the way, no, I don't work for Toyota.

Good luck with the whole 6x10 in the Mustang thang.

Lates, Kyle

Nothing you do in life is ever wrong, some things just aren`t exactly right. Or some crap like that.

www.richfieldmusic.com

Jeep Cherokees were made for SVT owners. Its true. I fit an svt cab,my 4 space rack,two basses,a strat,small monitor,a case for cords and stuff,and a Fender super reverb perfectly so I can still somewhat see out the back window. The cab fits in right up to the front seats (back ones are folded down) and there is about 5 inches to spare when I close the hatch. I love my car. Its a tough little bastard.

Postified by Getz:

You bought a cabinet that doesn't fit in your car? Brilliant.

Posticated by Jeremy:

I once brought a cabinet (an Acoustic 2x15) with me to an auto dealership to make sure it would fit into the car I wanted to buy.

You guys crack me up, but this thread is somehow very timely.

My Toyota pickup was totalled in a wreck a week ago. No one was hurt, but the damages to a 10 year old truck with 135k miles didn't justify the repairs... Given that we are still able to get by with one car, we have decided not to replace it. It took me a couple days to have the revelation - - in the event that I ever take my Acoustic 2x15 anywhere (perhaps one of those gigs the Getz speaks so fondly of), I will have to creatively force it into a Cirrus.

Perhaps this is God's subtle way of telling me that it's time to justify the jones for a new, smaller, more powerful, more portable bass rig...

Cliff, Good luck with your rig... If you need a thoroughly used Toyota pickup there's a salvage yard in Tulsa that has one. I would strongly recommend a new radiator and some headlights. The grill is optional, and if your girl is skinny she won't mind the passenger door that only opens 40%. :D

- Matt W.

My first car was an '84 Cutlas Supreme. My friends used to try and make me feel good about it by telling me it would be comfortable for dates. It had plush interior and was the color of a brown bag. In fact that's what I called it, "the brown bag", but hey.. what do you want for $900. It was one of those cars with charactor. You hit the cruise control and the left speaker would turn on and off. Ahhh, the days.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

Indeed, there is an S-Runner calling my name...

but it's difficult to hear over the constant din of, "Our next car will be a minivan."

Maybe if they have a "buy a minivan get a sports car" sale... we'll see. Alas, it'll be at least a year before we buy the next one.

- Matt W.

Originally posted by getz76:

(mostly red).

This just cracks me up so much, reminds me of so many of my friends cars, brilliant.

Nic

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

Archived