Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using a balanced out to power an external speaker

bassplayer5217

I'll admit I was a bit quick with my search, but I couldn't find anything that said whether one could or could not use a balanced line out to go to another speaker.

I have an Ampeg BA115 and would like to power another cab.

Comments and suggestions welcomed,

thanks,

David Germain

.~.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your Ampeg cab would have to have an extension cab jack. Looking at Ampeg's website, I see that it does NOT. So like BenLoy said, you're going to have to either go into another powered cab/speaker, or go to a power amp and then to a cab.

Thanks, all.

That is what I suspected. Just wanted some confirmation from my elders, hehe.

Although my teacher says it sacrifices sound quality, I haven't found any problems with just splitting the signal from my bass with a y-cable and going to two combo amps.

What I plan for my next rig is a head that can most definitely go down to 2ohms. This way it is easier to buy additions instead of buy a new rig. Right?

Anyhow, one more question:

If I am playing somewhere with a sound guy that is going to be dealing with multiple bands or even just mine, is it my job to have D.I. cables to go to the mixing station or is it his responsibility?

Thanks,

Germain

.~.

If it's a club with a PA and a dedicated soundman, he'll have an XLR cable to plug into your D.I. out.

He may present a direct box for you to plug into instead. Or he may put a mike in front of the amp.

My advice is to comply with whatever method he prefers.

Originally posted by bassplayer5217:

What I plan for my next rig is a head that can most definitely go down to 2ohms. This way it is easier to buy additions instead of buy a new rig. Right?

There are lots of threads in this forum discussing the various pros and cons of rigs and combos of various sizes. The answer is not so simple as to buy a rig that can put out a lot of juice down to 2 Ohms. Putting 1000 watts at 2 Ohms into 4 speakers may not be as loud, powerful, beautiful, or "better" than putting 300 watts at 8 Ohms into just one cab.

It's a steep learning curve to figure out the basic rules of putting together a rig, but it's well worth the intellectual investment to avoid a costly financial (mis)investment.

Originally posted by bassplayer5217:

ClarkW's caution is wisely stated.

Remember, there are two basic ways to be louder: more watts and/or more drivers. Flexibility might not be best served by being able to go down to 2 ohms, even though that will facilite both more wattage and more drivers. There is a third more subtle way to get louder: more thoughtful EQ practices (which is really to help you make the most out of your amp's power).

Tracking down the elusive rig balances current volume/tone needs against reasonable estimates of future needs. If you foresee playing medium-sized clubs for a while, 400W into a reasonably efficient 4x10 might be just lovely. There are nice heads that put that much juice into 8 ohms, and some here would argue that your sound is tighter thru a higher impedance cab. If you needed more oomph, add another 8-ohm 4x10 cab in parallel and you're down to 4 ohms and your amp is probably able to put 650W or more into eight 10s. That would be pretty loud -- conservatively speaking.

There is a 4th way to be louder: get everyone else to play softer. This can be challenging, but worse comes to worse, the battle between a sledgehammer and a Marshall 4x12 is quite often won by the sledgehammer. :D

Just dos pesos from me.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Finding a rig is an elusive thing - for some. Some people find the rig for them right away. Some people (myself) are always trying something new.

I will say that I have had MANY different amps, preamps and cabs. I have liked all of them. I think it's hard to find a "rig for all seasons" as there are so many different types of gigs and venues.

Right now, I have a power amp that puts out 700 watts . Plenty of juice considering my 1X12 cab is rated at 300 watts. I have used this combination with a 10 piece band and kept up just fine. I have also used it for combo work. I will say it's always easier to turn down than wish for more power

For me at thispoint in my "career" I am looking for good tone, medium volume and portability. This rig seems to be filling the bill

Archived