Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

equipment question, oh boy!

Wademeister

I looked throught the topics already, but I didn't really see what I was looking for so here goes. I have an Ibanez EDB 605 bass, not sure if the exact one makes a difference, but it is a 5 string. I've seen a few times people mention using a 1X15 setup for the 5's rather than a 2x10, so I have that in mind. Even so, my SWR workingman 2004 and workingman's 2 X 10T didn't make me very happy with the 4 string when I had the chance to crank it up. The thing just goes all fluttery or floppy or something when it's loud.

I'm new to playing bass and live in an apartment, so I haven't had a lot of opportunity to play loud so far-so fart...I made a funny, hehehe. Ahem.

So anyway...Messing around even quietly at home I can hear some rattling at certain frequencies. Maybe around the 5th to 8th fret on the A string. Nothing major, sounds like something loose maybe but I can't find anything loose. The speakers look fine and seem to work fine. I even took everything apart looking for loose screws or anything like that. It's all solid.

SWR is supposed to be a good brand from what I've read, so I'm thinking it didn't do this when it was new. Or did it? Why would they match up a 4 ohm amp with an 8 ohm cabinet anyway? Could that be where the trouble lies? Or is the amp screwed up somehow? I just really would like some advice as to how to get set up so I can play loud enough to be heard at a band practice including a live drummer and no PA. I don't think that's happening right now since the guitar player I jammed with completely drowned me out with his 40 amp Hotrod deluxe 1X12 combo amp on about 3 or 4. And of course I want it to sound GOOD at the same time. Would adding another 8 ohm 2 X 10 fix me up? New speakers in my cab? New amp head? I just don't know which way to go and buying a whole new rig is way too expensive right now.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a good little amp you have there...

The 4 ohm rating on the head is just the minimum nominal impedence the head can handle. With a 4 ohm load you will get maximum power from the amp. With an 8 ohm load you'll get roughly between 50 and 65% of the maximum power.

As for setup...

Try setting all your tone controls flat, and the enhance control conservatively to start with. This approach tends to work much better at higher volumes.

As for the rattle...

Could be the grill. Try tightening it. Or it may be something rattling in your room which just sounds like it's coming from the cab.

If you add an 8 ohm 1x15 or 4x10 cab to your rig, it will sound huge compared to the way it sounds right now, because you will be doubling the power output and doubling or tripling the speaker cone surfacr area.

As for the rattling, i have a 4004 and it gave me a hell of a similar problem till I found that the solution was as easy as not putting the head on top of the cab. I dunno if it has something loose on the inside or something, but it works great now (i bought it used).

Hope it helps.

Sounds great, thanks a ton guys.

I'll try to round up a 1X15 cab and not set the amp on top. Nothing is loose in the cab though, I was very thorough checking it out. Had the whole thing apart and back together even. It's possible that I did hear something rattling in the room. I had it turned down pretty low and was sitting right in front of it so it sounded like I was listening to the speaker to me, but I hadn't thought to try turning it around and stuff. I'll check that out this evening though.

Any suggestions on the 1X15 as in used stuff to avoid especially? I doubt I'll buy new, and shipping is high so I'll have to see what's around town cheap.

Thanks BK,

Thumbs up for the EDB!

I messed around with that amp some more tonight and looks like setting the head on the floor helped. I won't have a chance to crank it again until this weekend, but I'm thinking that 1X15 cab sounds like a good idea. I just plug it into the SPEAKER 2 output and I'm all set at 4 ohms right? Assuming the 15" is an 8 ohm speaker of course. No crossover or anything like that needed?

Hey BK, does your 4 stringer have any dead spots? Mine has a couple but that won't last long. Planning a fretless bass from scratch that will use all the electronics and hardware from my EDB 690, hehe.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/Wademeister/2basses.jpg

Wade...

That's right...

As long as your present cab and the 15 inch extension cab are both 8 ohm units, you can just plug them into the two speaker outs on the back of your head. Then you'll have a 4 ohm nominal impedence and will be making the most of your head's power output.

Let us know how it sounds when you try it.

:thu:

A little off topic.

I've had your 4 string bass as my background for a few months now but i've had no idea what it was. Its a small world.

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

I can say that I'm not an SWR fan at all. I've tried a couple and did not like the sound. One even farted at low volume like the way you described. Ditch those cabs and go with some Ampegs! A couple of 4x10's will do your bass good!

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

• 5 weeks later...
Well I bought a new Avatar 115 and it''s a lot better with that one. The amp does clip but doesn't distort too much unless I really overdo it. Still, if I plug in the 10's they will flake out just like if they were the only speakers connected. Do the SWR 10's just suck or what? Is it possible that the speakers are damaged in some way? They look perfectly fine and sound fine as long as I don't ask them to go loud and/or deep.

I agree with some of the other posts...more cabinet should help you tremendously. Try adding a 410 or a 115. Will your amp go down to 2 ohms (allowing you to add a 4 ohm cab)? If so, you might want to try a 215 or a 610, although that's getting a bit large. Try several different configurations (including other brands) and see what you like best.

HTH,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I have the 115 now, it arrived yesterday. The amp works much much better with just the 8 ohm 115 and NO 2X10. The 210 just freaks out whenever I get near the B string below about the 10th fret. Starting to think my WorkinMan is really a Russian knockoff and should be called a Gufenov instead. :rolleyes:

Anyway the 115 was a huge improvement and I'm sure once I replace the 210 cab and that head everything will be just fine :thu:

I'm a SWR user and I love them. Excellent gear.

If you push any cab too hard, it's going to have issues. I'd suggest playing with your EQ settings some and see what happens. If you're after the huge "disco smile" EQ setting, where you have tons of low and highs with the mids scooped out (bad EQ setting in general), you'll probably find that using 15's is going to be much more condusive to getting the results that you're looking for. If you're after tight, clean, and crisp response from your cab, 10's are the way to go and you need to play with your EQ. Try adding mids. ~250Hz is your friend. You will cut through the rest of the band without turning your amp up nearly as much and your speakers and power amp will be happier with you for it.

Example. A friend of mine and I have very similar tastes in tone. We have the exact same bass. On a gig where we were playing together, he had his rig setup next to mine and we were playing around a bit. He was using 10's and I had 15's. Shortly afterwards, I ditched my 15's and got the SWR Goliath III cab that I now have and I've never been more pleased with my tone.

That's cool Bumpcity,

I really think my 10" cab has a problem of some kind. It doesn't really want to play much of anything lower then the open A string with the EQ settings I want to use, and I'm working on getting the nois out of my playing but I'm getting all kinds of undesireable sounds when the treble is up much. I've got the amp EQ just about flat, and on the instrument I have the treble cut some, mids I play around with but seems ok about neutral and bass up as much as I can without causing issues. I'm mostly just going for a thumpy sound for bluesy stuff so I'm not crazy about having the treble up much. When I do want to dial in some treble of course I have miles of headroom for it.

Is it possible that there is something wrong with my 10" speakers if they work fine a low volume? Seems like if anything were blown I'd get no sound at all right?

Band practice update.

Well it worked out sort of. The drummer was great and we all had a good time at our first practice. We actually played together more than not which, with my lack of experience, I found amazing. Jim (the drummer) says "I think it's ok, there was not a time that I couldn't hear you". Then I showed them how I was maxed out for volume, eq tweaked to make it as audible as possible and treble rolled off just a bit to kill some finger squeaks.

So after practice, I headed down to everyone's favorite national chain music store and looked around. My lack of playing skills did not deter me from trying the equipment! I didn't try everything, but I think I tried most in my price range and a couple above it. I found that the Behringer BX3000T and the Workingman 2004 distort when cranked up and aren't loud enough to suit me. I also found that the SWR 550 and GK 800RB ARE loud enough. I probably should have paid more attention to what cabs were hooked up now that I think about it, but the 800RB seemed REAL loud!

I came away thinking about two possible options. One is the used GK 800RB for 379.00. I think I may be able to get one off Ebay for a bit less and not have to pay sales tax. I also need to check GC's return policy for used equipment and see if they will come even close to a fair trade in allowance on my 2004. I think mine may work ok for what it is since I tried a 2004 in the store and it distorted when I cranked it up too. Not as bad as mine does but I was in a pretty small area at the store. If I got the 800RB with its high/low amp range, could I put the 115 on the low channel and the 210 on the high channel, or is the high channel for horns only? Looks like the crossover frequency is adjustable but I have no idea what the range is. Or what it would need to be =P.

Another possibility might be the 400 or 600 watt Crown power amp. Not very much money at all but I don't know if those are crap or any good for bass or what. I don't even know if they have the proper frequency range. I looked at a 402 and 602 but really didn't know what I needed so didn't learn much from that. If those are good amps, would I be able to use my Workingman for a preamp? Use the DI from the head to the power amp or something? Oh gee, then to look at the power amps on the MF website just makes my head hurt. Maybe I need to get the QSC RMX 850 Power Amp . And again, if I do that, should I put the 210 on one channel and the 115 on the other or what? AAAUGH!!

Yeah I'm such a noob, I know...

Archived